Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My First AutoX Ever

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 11:49 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My First AutoX Ever

Today I drove in my 350Z in my first AutoX ever. The race was put on by a small club in a large company parking lot, so everything was informal, and I was able to attend as a guest of one of my friends (Tim) who used to work for the company.

The track was about .4 miles long, and consisted of decreasing radius spirals, long sweeping turns, and a couple sharp right and left corners (no straights).

I arrived at 10:30 for the sign in, but since I was a guest I was in the last run group (group 7). Each group consisted of about 6 cars, and each car took three runs (usually four, but the large turnout reduced the amount of runs). Each run consisted of two laps - a warmup lap that was untimed, and then a rolling start directly into the timed lap. I worked the course picking up cones for goup 2, then went to lunch. Throughout the event I was showing off the car to all the fanatics (Tim had told them I was coming, and there are a few Z freaks who regularly attend. One of the members was eagerly awaiting his track Z)

We got back from lunch for the end of group 4, then Tim drove his yellow S2000 with race tires in group 5, while I rode with him on his first lap. That car is nuts and was quite a thrill to ride in. I could barely stagger out of the car after the first run since my adrenaline was so high. Tim's best time was a 46.1XX (good for the second best time of the day, second only to a trailored in, race prepped civic with no interior, full roll cage, etc.).

There were a few Z06's, a couple WRX's, a S/C'd Dinan E36 M3, a couple NSX's, and an assortment of Z's. There were a couple spectacular spins by one of the Z06 guys and one of the NSX guys.

It was about 4:30 by the time I finally got to run, but man was it worth it. The drive started with a hard left (from off the track) onto the course and past the timers gate. A shift to second gear took the car through a long right hand sweeper that gradually got tighter and tighter until the track crossed over itself for a total turn angle of ~300 degrees. At this point I found out that the Z understeers pretty heaviliy if you don't have any room on the outside of the curve to step on the gas and get the rear end to swing back around. The right hand spiral transitioned immediately into a long left hand sweeper, where I was able to get close to 60 mph. Then it was hard, ABS style braking and a sharp, ~60 degree jog to the left (very easy to get the tail out here), and then tight but smooth left turn until the path T'd back into the long left hand sweeper. This was a ~90 degree SHARP corner (again, easy to get the tail out). I then drove most of the long left hand sweeper in the opposite direction direcly towards the timer. Finally, with a quick chicane to the left and a 180 degree, tight U-turn, it was back to the beginning of the course.

My first run was a 50.1 or so, which the timers said was very respectable for a first timer. I was told by my GF, who was watching from the side, that there were many comments on the flatness fo the Z through the corners, and that it didn't look to be understeering at all (although I beg to differ). Also, the car was apparently very quiet throughout the course, although I could hear tons of tire squeal through many of the corners. Didn't hit any cones on any timed lap, though I did touch one cone during the warmup for my final lap.

My second run was a 51 something, but I had forgotten to turn off the VDC/TCS.

My final run was a 49.3XX, which was much better, but I feel there was quite a bit of room for improvement. I never quite mastered the spiral at the beginning of the course, and I also ran the entire course in 2nd gear, since I am not too good and shifting and braking and steering and crapping my pants all at the same time! All in all, everyone was very impressed with the Z, both on and off the track, and I was/am very happy with my time and with the entire day. I feel that a 3+ second difference between a first timer in a Z and a seasoned veteran in an S2000 with racing tires means that things look pretty good for the Z. There was an S2000 with stock tires, but I can't remember what that dude's time was. I should have let Tim drive the Z to see what he could do, but I was having too much fun at the time to think about it.

The only thing I would change about the Z at this point would be to put 235's on the front wheels instead of 225's. This would probably help balance the car a bit better. Tim was also joking about swapping the front and backs to get the car to handle a bit more like the S2000, but he's a wiseass so that's to be expected.

Overall, this sums up my feelings about the day-

I highly recommend going to some sort of AutoX if you get the chance. You won't be dissapointed. I'll update with the official times when I get them later in the week.

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 10-20-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:26 PM
D'oh

Not that anyone seems to care, but:

Here are selected results from my first ever autoX. I've shown all stock cars that beat me, plus some modified ones. I also showed the interesting cars that I was able to beat. I also posted this in the Z Vs All thread.

VETTE........45.882 (trailored) - Top Time of Day
S2000.......46.154 (race tires) - 2nd Time of Day
510...........47.142 (turbo)
M3.............47.55 (race tires)
3000GT.....47.845 (race times maybe)
300ZXTT....47.845 (extra boost)
MR2SC.......48.104 (race tires)
Z06............48.578
S2000........49.000 (stock)
MUSTANG...49.290 (race tires)
300ZX........49.292
300ZXTT....49.575
NSX............49.962
RX-7...........50.492
STARION....50.769
240SX........50.816
WRX...........50.820
WRX...........50.823
GTI.............50.898
WRX...........51.154
M3.............51.684
M5.............51.752
CIVIC.........52.727
FIREBIRD....52.101
MIATA.........52.355
MINI............52.762

350Z.............49.368 (Me)

As you can see, I was able to beat a 300ZXTT, but also got beat by a 300ZX N/A. Both of those drivers have been racing for 6+ years, and this is my first race ever, so it looks like the 350Z is excellent for tight tracks. Also, I was very close to the stock S2000, and was able to beat all 3 WRX's (but not by much). My friend drives the S2000 that got the second best time of the day, and he said that it looks like the Nissan has really improved the handling of the 350 compared to previous versions. I was also able to beat an NSX, but the track was a little to tight for him. He ran almost the entire track in first gear, while I ran the entire track in second.

-D'oh!
Old 10-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Redline350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That's a pretty damn good showing for your rookie outing. I was pretty sure I wanted to give AutoX a try next spring, but your post has convinced me that it's not even an option. I MUST kill some cones!

Thanks for sharing your experience (and congratulations on a great run!)
Old 10-24-2002, 07:05 AM
roberto350z

what track were you racing on?!
Old 10-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Traffic

Haha, a 510! That's awesome!

Good show though; you had a lot less rubber to play with than the Vettes and lot less experience than some of the guys there.

Wish there were some road courses over here on the right coast
Old 10-24-2002, 05:13 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

You guys do realize he's not talking about a road course, or even a formal track, right? This type of racing involves courses typically set up in a large parking lot with cones.

Something I've always wanted to try, and never gotten around to doing.

Looks like you did well on your first outing, D'oh.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:51 PM
D'oh

Thanks for your posts, folks. I was getting worried that no one was interested in tracking their cars.

The autoX was a course set up in the parking lot of a local defense contractor. It is a company club, so I was only along as a guest of a friend who used to work there. Hopefully they'll let me be a guest very frequently .

I may try to attend some SCCA events and Candlestick Park or the Oakland Coliseum, but the large, formal nature of those events intimidates me a bit. I have another friend who has an E46 M3 convertible and is currently out of work, so he is blowing all his savings at track days. So far he's been to Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill. One of these days I will get my Z out there too, but I am nervous about the high speeds at the track. The AutoX is very good for beginners because the speeds are pretty low, and therefore it gives one an opportunity to go a little nuts with a reduced chance of damage to the vehicle.

Anyhow, if any of you have any racing experiences I'd love to hear about them. I'm completely addicted now.

-D'oh!