Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

G35 Coupe or 350Z Touring? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:50 AM
KikoBlaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation G35 Coupe or 350Z Touring? HELP

this is like the new "age old question". a g35 coupe or a 350Z? I'm getting a new car in 4 weeks, and i have narrowed it down to these two cars: a black on black G35 sport coupe with the 18" wheel package, spoiler, and sunroof (around $35,000). the second is a black 350Z touring with orange leather. i already posted a thread for the G35 forum, i wanna know some feedback from the Z owners and why you feel it would be better than a G? thanx
Old 09-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the looks of the Z lil better then the G. If you're more into performance get the Z. But it is nice to have 2 extra seats in the G. If I had a choice to buy one of those 2 cars again I would take the Z again.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:16 AM
dpeters

Talk to your insurance company as well. If you are tight on a budget, the Z's insurance may put you over the top. Remember, you're financing a 2 seater sports car instead of a 4 seater "luxury" coupe.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:13 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neithor is exactly practical transportation so I think it comes down to what "floats your boat".

To me the G 35 is another good looking sports coup while the Zzzz is "oh, wow!".

If one doesn't light you up more than the other, compare features & pick which has more of what you want.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Zcarboy

Originally posted by dpeters
Talk to your insurance company as well. If you are tight on a budget, the Z's insurance may put you over the top. Remember, you're financing a 2 seater sports car instead of a 4 seater "luxury" coupe.
I know this might sound strange, but when I changed my 2001 Mustang GT coupe for the 2004 350Z touring my insurance went down $400 and don't ask me how and why because it strange how insurance works out.

I have heard from other people on this forum saying that the G35 is cheaper to insure than the 350Z. I guess it all depends on who you insure with, your driving record and where you live type thing.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:30 PM
TommyL

This is my first post on this board and I hope I can help.
I've been driving a 350 Z Touring A/T since June and recently had to turn it in for a few weeks (minor accident) and got a g35c with the sport package (the nice 18" wheels) and A/T as a temporary loaner.
My impressions are:

Z - feels lighter, more nimble. Seems to corner a little flatter and feels like it's more willing to rotate for you (shorter wheelbase probably contributes to this). Steering feels incredibly accurate and taut. Ride is a little harsher than the coupe, more bouncy on freeway. Performance trade-off I guess. The transmissions must be the same, but the Z feels just a bit crisper, but that comparison may only apply to the cars that I have had. There is no storage. Interior is not as nice as Coupe. Blind spot is more pronounced in the Z.

G35c - feels like a softer, quieter Z, which I guess it basically is. More comfortable on freeway, but not as much fun in the twisties. These are very fine distinctions btw. The coupe seems to push more in corners, just the slightest bit more body roll. Still a very satisfying car to drive, but I think I prefer the Z in that regard. Back seats are surprisingly usable.... it's relative. Has a trunk. More practicle in general.

This is a very tough call, it really is a personal preference thing. I can't really say which one I would choose if I had to. (I've actually ordered an '05 6mt sedan due in Dec., but I've got a baby due this spring and obviously need the back seats/4-doors)
I think the Z is more fun to drive, if you don't need use of limited back-seats, and especially if you drive down a lot of curvy roads, the Z may be the better choice. Extended freeway driving may be more comfortable in the coupe however. They are both striking looking cars, I think I prefer the Z's looks.

hmmm... I guess I'm really not that much help after all.
Good luck, and be sure to drive them both.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:18 PM
xxlbeerZ

G35 doesn't seem to have the feathering, tranny, and other issues. So consider reliability as well..
Old 09-03-2004, 05:02 PM
RJW0501

I have the Touring 6 speed, my g/f has the exact car you are thinking of getting...if i had to explain the differences, I would have wrote EXACTLY what TommyL wrote...It really comes down to a matter of preference.

My .02, I think the Z looks more aggressive, than again, my g/f has her own opinions!

Good luck, can't go wrong with either one.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:31 PM
xxlbeerZ

Also, don't forget that Infiniti dealerships are 10x better than Nissan when it comes to service (free loaners, maintenance, repairs, etc.).

My choice was between a G and an enthusiast Z. I went with the Z because it's much cheaper (~$6k). Since you are spending about the same amount of money for the g or a touring, I'd go with the G. Especially if this is gonna be your daily driver!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:48 PM
RPM_204

What can I say that the others haven't already mentioned. This is purely a personal preference decision. Factors like the difference in insurance costs, however, shouldn't be determining what car you go with. When you're spending that much on a car to begin with, you're better off going with the car that "feels just right". Drive both cars and I'm confident you'll know which one works for you the best...
Old 09-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Darthvol

Originally posted by TommyL
This is my first post on this board and I hope I can help.
I've been driving a 350 Z Touring A/T since June and recently had to turn it in for a few weeks (minor accident) and got a g35c with the sport package (the nice 18" wheels) and A/T as a temporary loaner.
My impressions are:

Z - feels lighter, more nimble. Seems to corner a little flatter and feels like it's more willing to rotate for you (shorter wheelbase probably contributes to this). Steering feels incredibly accurate and taut. Ride is a little harsher than the coupe, more bouncy on freeway. Performance trade-off I guess. The transmissions must be the same, but the Z feels just a bit crisper, but that comparison may only apply to the cars that I have had. There is no storage. Interior is not as nice as Coupe. Blind spot is more pronounced in the Z.

G35c - feels like a softer, quieter Z, which I guess it basically is. More comfortable on freeway, but not as much fun in the twisties. These are very fine distinctions btw. The coupe seems to push more in corners, just the slightest bit more body roll. Still a very satisfying car to drive, but I think I prefer the Z in that regard. Back seats are surprisingly usable.... it's relative. Has a trunk. More practicle in general.

This is a very tough call, it really is a personal preference thing. I can't really say which one I would choose if I had to. (I've actually ordered an '05 6mt sedan due in Dec., but I've got a baby due this spring and obviously need the back seats/4-doors)
I think the Z is more fun to drive, if you don't need use of limited back-seats, and especially if you drive down a lot of curvy roads, the Z may be the better choice. Extended freeway driving may be more comfortable in the coupe however. They are both striking looking cars, I think I prefer the Z's looks.

hmmm... I guess I'm really not that much help after all.
Good luck, and be sure to drive them both.
I've actually owned both cars ('03 G35 6MT w/all the goodies & '04 roadster), and I generally agree w/all of the above, w/a couple of exceptions and additions:

1. The g's rear seat is only comfortable and usable if you're not over 5'6" tall--plenty of leg room, hip room and shoulder room, and great seats, but the raked rear w'shield offers enough head room only for "little people".

2. Front G seats substantially more comfortable than the Z, especially for trips of an hour or more, but b/c they're a skosh bigger and softer, they don't hold you as securely during hard cornering.

3. The amount of stuff you can cram into the G's trunk is surprisingly large (although I've got the Z roadster and can't talk about the hatchback in comparison).

4. Handling observations above are on point, but w/one big exception: the Z, stock, still won't stick better on the skidpad and IMO, and despite the more nimble, rigid, precise feel of the touring Z, the G adheres better at the limits, STOCK. My opinion why: the Z comes shod w/Michelin Pilot Sports v. the touring Z's comparatively crappy Bridgestones. The second you have to replace the G's tires and decide to go w/something cheaper, the Z will easily outhandle it. Just goes to show you how important the tires are to adhesion, regardless of suspension tuning, weight, wheelbase, etc.

5. If you aren't going to track your car, the touring Z brakes stop the car about as quickly as the G's Brembos (and remember, my roadster is heavier than the hatchback, and is only about 100 lbs. lighter than the G).

6. Don't know if this is a consideration for you, but the G seems to give off more of an air of "class, sophistication," yada, yada, yada; a lot of people don't know that my roadster is a more expensive car than my G was. In contrast, the Z doesn't seem to inspire as many compliments from the professional set, but the "gawk factor" in the Z is 10 times that of the G, and that really surprised me. The Z's a real head-turner; one idiot at a fast food place seriously asked me if the car had "about 800 hp," and said he thought it was a Ferrari.

7. Infiniti dealers may GENERALLY be better than Nissan dealers, but lest you think they're just wonderful, search for the multiple G forums on the web, and you'll find plenty of b**ching about crappy Infiniti dealers that screwed people.

In sum, are you looking for a "grand tourer," or a "pure sports car"? The answer should guide your choice. Good luck w/your selection. They're both great cars.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:37 AM
RANDY350Z

I would go with both! Purchase the G first then after you paid it off (if you are leasing or financing) then buy a Z coupe or Roadster.

I want to get out of my Qx4 and into a G then buy a Roadster.
Mainly I am **** and the Z would be a better choice for me if I have a "runner" especialy in the area that I work I am afraid the Z would attract attention. The dealer that I purchased my Infiniti from is really good. Only gripe I had was that They installed a part and scratched the paint and it ook them 5X to get it right but I had a G sedan for a week which was nice!
Old 09-04-2004, 05:35 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2003 Black Z 6 speed touring with aero package, 18" wheels, the chrome kick-plates, orange leather, yadda, yadda, yadda and i love it!! The G35 is nice, but i'll take my Z!
Old 09-04-2004, 06:25 PM
axxizzer

go with the G man, o so sexxy
Old 09-05-2004, 12:18 AM
350fanatic

hey wassup all, im new here. i picked up my silver touring last sat aug. 29 and im lovin it

ive driven the G coupe and it is a nice car but i prefer my Z.

i also read today that our Z's have the highest resale value