2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Settings New Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Vin Diesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Settings New Problems!!

ALIGNMENT UPDATE GUY'S

Well I hope NOBODY gets disappointed but I have had the new tires and new alignment settings done and now in the process of suing Nissan. The car handles badly Nissan has now created another problem stiff stearing wheel dosen't return to center properly after sharpe turns, in a parking lot with stearing wheel turn fullly to left or right car DOES NOT PULL OUT OF TURN IT KEEPS GOING AROUND & AROUND WITH NO HANDS ON THE WHEEL?????? The Eastern Ontario Rep was with me in the car for a tests drive and his remarks were well this sort of sports car will handle this way. Where in the H_LL did Nissan get this guy from?
Nissan has to repond today according to my Lawyer, will post the out come as it becomes available.

If anybody feels that their car is not handling properly with the new setting make sure you contact Nissan the more we report this problem the quicker they well correct the problem.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You're not alone...

Hey Vin,
Got my 2004.6 (July production) Z delivered misaligned. After reading these forums religiously while awaiting delivery, I knew to open a line of communication with NNA immediately. They advised dealership service.

After two alignments by my local, I can completely substantiate your claim. My service advisor even confirmed that the new settings will degrade performance/feel.

The steering is heavy and will not center itself; It's very disconcerting to have to crank back your wheel to get the car going straight again after a turn! Not my idea of fun or safe.

Let us all know how the lawsuit goes. What are the details of the suit? Do you qualify under the lemon law or does your attorney have another strategy?
Old 09-10-2004, 10:39 AM
zlove

So I am not sure what you are saying....

You had the new TSB done (New Tires and adjust the toe-in) and that is what is causing the car not to pull out of a turn?

Are you saying that it is the TSB specs that are at fault or is it the actual mechanic/dealership that messed it up?

I had the TSB done about 4 months ago and I have not noticed this problem??
Old 09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
350Zenophile

Those are all good questions zlove...unfortunately I have more questions than answers myself.

NNA told me there was not a "pull to the right" TSB for my car (the initial reason I brought it in). My service tech assured me their alignment rack is loaded with the latest settings from Nissan's engineers but did not refer to a specific TSB. He acknowledged that the latest specs sacrifice performance for reliability. I guess it is our job on this board to sift through fiction for facts by comparing experiences.

As for the tires, I am assuming my car came with the new ones due to it's late production date. Is that a fair assumption? Is the dealership's alignment rack old/inaccurate? When was the last time it was calibrated and by who? Why did the mechanic who did my first alignment not adjust the toe in the rear even though it was clearly out of spec? Why, one week later, when I brought it back in to align the rear, did the same dealership find that my front toe, which they corrected the first time, was once again out of spec?

I've contacted the local Z club and have a lead on a reputable alignment shop, so I think I'll be coming out of pocket to be 100% sure myself that it is not a poor alignment. The alignment #'s on the print out seem to be consistent with a well aligned car, but I definitely have the same symptoms Vin described above.

I have driven many sports cars and have never experienced this behavior before. Don't get me wrong, I still love my car, in fact it can take a corner faster than any I've owned. But high effort steering and lack of on-center feel are symptoms that conflict with each other if I'm reading the Caster section correctly here: TireRack and here: Symptoms.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:06 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Regarding the multiple threads, any concerns about this issue needs to be addressed in this thread and this thread only.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Takeh

Here is my ALIGNMENT data

Caster
FL:9.26 RL-
FR:9.23 RR-
Camber [with Ajustable PiloUpperArm]
FL:-3.20 RL:-3.05
FR:-3.14 RR:-3.05
Toe
FL:-0.4mm RL:1.5mm
FR:-0.4mm RR:1.6mm
Total Toe F:-0.7mm R:3.0

I hope it help u guys.....
Old 09-13-2004, 10:48 AM
350Zenophile

Originally posted by Takeh
Camber [with Ajustable PiloUpperArm]
The point is, an aftermarket part shouldn't be necessary to properly align your car unless you have lowered it.

But thanks for the numbers, I will check against mine...assuming you are happy with them?