Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is This Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004 | 05:26 PM
Amnbex

Default Is This Possible?

A few days ago my friend and I saw a really riced out Honda Prelude. HUGE wing, like the size of my house, vynil, the works.

Now, this car is famous around our school, and basically every "car guy" hates this guy and would like his wing on a pike.

My friend also drives a Prelude, however, his is nowhere near riced out(just standard I/H/E).

Today we get the chance to talk to the ricer guy between classes since he was pointed out by another friend of mine. Apparently his "naturally aspired" Prelude puts down 245 fwhp. Also apparently he runs a 6 speed tranny liberated off an S2000. Of course, when he told us this my friend was poking me in the back to signify "********!"

Now, I may be crazy but IMHO its almost physically impossible, if not cost-prohibitively impossible to get ~300hp out of a stock Prelude motor without going FI or Nitrous. I'm also thinking than an S2K tranny, made for high RPMs isn't really a tranny that is every possible to stick into a Prelude, but I'm not even sure.

I don't know much about Hondas and the capability of their 4-bangers and I certainly don't wanna head over to a ricer board to ask them. So I was hoping that someone here had some Honda tuning experience and could verify this story and whether or not this rice-boy is exagerating or actually telling me the truth.

(This conversation was had without him knowing about my car or any knowledge about my automotive experience.)

Thanks guys.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:33 PM
Amnbex

P.S. I counted his stickers, they don't add up to 300hp.
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:41 PM
350zWarz

i know that the s2000 is rear wheel drive so unless the prelude has rear wheel drive you can definately call bullsheit, and if the car is riced out you can bet everything he says is bs...oh yea and if there is a nos sticker it might just put that sticker hp up to 300 haha
Old 09-15-2004 | 07:19 PM
Nforce1

Hand him a shovel, and call his BullSh!t...
Old 09-16-2004 | 06:09 AM
Amnbex

He did ask to race my car(not knowing that I have a Z), should I even waste gas?
Old 09-16-2004 | 06:11 AM
tacomaboy

LMAO no WAY can you stick a RWD transmission on a FWD vehicle!!! IMPOSSIBLE!

BTW you would OWN him in any sort of race.
Old 09-16-2004 | 06:35 AM
CatastrophZZ

LMAO, this article is funny. it's a possibility that he converted his Prelude to RWD, but that would cost him alot of money. lots lots! but i doubt it, cuz riced out cars+driver/owner doesnt normally do anything much to their performance.
Old 09-16-2004 | 07:56 AM
Amnbex

UPDATE: Saw him driving around today. Well, didn't see his car, but I could see the wing 6 cars away from me in traffic.
Old 09-16-2004 | 08:10 AM
longbowe

Originally posted by Amnbex
P.S. I counted his stickers, they don't add up to 300hp.

That's cold, man!
Old 09-16-2004 | 08:33 AM
MrGoingdown305

He did ask to race my car(not knowing that I have a Z), should I even waste gas?
Why not? Teach him a lesson
Old 09-16-2004 | 10:19 AM
Darthvol

Default Re: Is This Possible?

Apparently his "naturally aspired" Prelude puts down 245 fwhp. Also apparently he runs a 6 speed tranny liberated off an S2000. Of course, when he told us this my friend was poking me in the back to signify "********!"

Now, I may be crazy but IMHO its almost physically impossible, if not cost-prohibitively impossible to get ~300hp out of a stock Prelude motor without going FI or Nitrous. I'm also thinking than an S2K tranny, made for high RPMs isn't really a tranny that is every possible to stick into a Prelude, but I'm not even sure.

I don't know much about Hondas and the capability of their 4-bangers.
ROTFLMFAO!!! I owned an '02 S2K, as well as 3 FWD Hondas; he's essentially asking you to believe that he spent about twice the value of the car on mods, and even then, it would take some amazing mechanic-type to put it all together in a way it wouldn't blow up.

No one has responded to your postulation about the tranny, and I agree w/u. All model years except '04 redline at 9krpm, and he would have to do some serious modding to the ECU to get the combo to work, even w/o the conversion to RWD. Good grief, if he's going to lie, you'd think he would at least try to make it believable.
Old 09-16-2004 | 04:10 PM
mirage2130

Is there any way you can take a pic of this guy's car, we could use a good laugh.
Old 09-16-2004 | 04:13 PM
Amnbex

I'm gonna try and get a pic of the Prelude in.