Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who's plan on doing this to the Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 02:23 AM
Seattle_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's plan on doing this to the Bose system

I know for my 94 Acura legend there is an adapter for the BOSE head unit so that you can still use the Head Unit and replace the amp and speakers.

I found this link for BOSE adapters: http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

Anyway, when the 350Z comes out there's going to be more spec on the Bose system and there got to be an adapter for it, so if there's one I'm going to keep my head unit for the touring model...place in two phoenix gold amps ti series, stick it original size MB Quartz, and replace the woofer with JL.

Seattle_350Z Chrome Silver touring!

:-)
Old 06-14-2002, 02:28 AM
LowFuel

Im planning on going with the new Alpine mp3 capable head unit and mp3 capable 6 disc changer. But, one thing that always bugs me is that the stock stereo is double-height, so when you replace it there's a gap there.
They usually cover it with a simple piece of plastic, but it seems to me the ideal place to add a little storage bin... It's just empty space behind it anyway right? The ideal size for a little 6-disc CD holder.
Anyone seen something like this offered instead of the usual plastic strip to cover the excess area?
Old 06-14-2002, 02:32 AM
Seattle_350Z

Default Here's what I did to my legend.

I want to keep the head unit.....original look. I'm planning on using these parts from my legend. http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...lid=4946669403
Old 06-14-2002, 05:00 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

LowFuel - believe it or not Honda has a single DIN pocket in the 99-00 Civics. I've got one extra (which I've got plans for right now) but I might be able to score a couple more from my Honda dealer. Since the Z will be a 2 din system this will fit perfectly with any single din HU.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:42 AM
jreiter

Those single DIN pockets are fairly common, and should be readily obtainable from any decent shop. I had one in my Toyota Tacoma pickup, too. I eventually added a dash-mount single-DIN EQ along with my head unit so that filled up the second space, but while I only had a cd player the pocket was a great filler for the 2nd DIN space.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:14 AM
raceboy
Banned

Notice the JDM Z uses a single DIN head unit. That means that we should be able to get the surround piece with the pocket below for doing our head unit upgrades here. Sure there will be kits out there, but I have never seen and aftermarket kit that matches the interior the way factory pieces do:

https://my350z.com/japan/june11/page4.html
Old 06-14-2002, 11:07 AM
john0213

what do u expect, it's a bose, i'll definitely keep them
Old 06-14-2002, 04:52 PM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

Exsilio, your post is contradictory. BOSE doesn't make head units - all they make are the speakers!
Old 06-14-2002, 07:53 PM
LowFuel

I've been very happy with the bose system in my TT, but I really want Mp3 capability.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. I know what to ask for now.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:47 PM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

You said you'd leave the bose system, but replace the speakers.. that's not possible/contradictory. The theory behind the Bose system is the fact that they specifically amplify each speaker independantly, and apply custom equalization to each speaker based on 1) their own speaker and 2) it's position in the car etc.

So, if you WERE to replace the speaker - you'd also have to replace the amplifier (as it is specifically designed and tuned for a proprietary bose speaker). All you'd have left is the head unit, which isn't really a Bose product anyway. (and certainly isn't what you're paying for with the bose system...)
Old 06-15-2002, 12:45 AM
nizl

Originally posted by exsilio
There are other head units that are far superior, but proabaly none that would look as good as the original...but that's just my opinion.

And I am serious audiophile...
Uh, exsilio, I'm not trying to flame you. But, I don't think you're a serious audiophile. If you were, you would realize Bose only makes the speakers, and Clarion OEM's the head units. And the design of Bose speakers is an integrated amp w/ 2 Ohm impedence. There is nothing revolutionary about this design, but it is definitely proprietary. Microsoft, anyone?

Anyways, I don't know if you really do have B&W speakers at home running off NAD or Myryad components, or if you just have a different notion of "audiophile", but Bose is definitely not audiophile quality, period. I agree the stock stuff looks nice and non-gaudy, but a "serious audiophile" would be concerned with the sound first and foremost.

And no, I'm not claiming to be a serious audiophile myself...
Old 06-15-2002, 01:49 AM
nizl

Notice it doesn't mention being a self-proclaimed expert in all things produced by all companies. Just someone that has an ardent appreciation or interest....

What's more, I don't think it is anyones right to decide who is a true audiophile and who is not....

...So before you tell people what they "seriously" are and are not, make sure you know the definition is...
If I came onto this board and said I'm a "serious car enthusiast", and then proceeded to tell everyone that the Yugo was the best sports car ever made, what would your response be? Shouldn't somebody point out maybe I was mistaken, and should read up on stuff a little more? Or should everyone be overly polite and allow me to continue, somewhat misinformed?

I never said you don't like music. But you said you were a "serious audiophile". That connotes certain characteristics, like "serious golfer". A serious golfer doesn't shoot a 200, a casual golfer does. That doesn't mean a casual golfer doesn't love golf, but he's not serious.

Please don't be overly sensitive and get upset. I'm really not trying to insult you. But you did come on and state a set of "credentials", just like if I said I was a "serious photoshopper" that would set similar expectations. If I then posted a crap-*** photochopped image, wouldn't you politely tell me maybe I should read up on stuff a little? That's all I was trying to do...
Old 06-15-2002, 02:00 AM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

For the record, I've got B&Ws at home AND in my car (believe it or not) but I'm not even a serious audiophile. ;-) My buddy at work who just spent $500 on a pair of upgraded crossovers.. he's a serious audiophile.

But all that aside, there are a number of threads on the Bose system on the board right now, and they all have some good info, so I'd urge everyone to read up.

I think the moral of the story when it comes to bose vs non-bose is: If you want to CHANGE the factory system, you'd be better off without the bose. If you want to KEEP the factory system, you'd be better off with the bose. For the bose system, it makes more sense to replace the head unit and keep the amplifier/speakers, assuming, as someone said - that an adapter is available.

I'd also be very interested in the DIN pocket for an aftermarket stereo, as I always cringe when I see funny sized radios in dashboards.. and no, the cheap install kits will never look as good as an integrated factory unit, especially when it's a strange sized opening.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:36 AM
nizl

I don't really know what to say. You still don't see the point that is right in front of you.
Neither do you. I'm done.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:26 AM
wxtornado

Talking

So how 'bout them Redwings......?