Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Feathering problem on 2004 ZR (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:07 PM
koolyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Feathering problem on 2004 ZR (need help)

Hi folks

First, I want to tell I speak french, so sorry for my english.

Let's tell you my story. I have a ZR 2004 since august 2003. Around july, I found my tire noisy in the front so I make search here and people told me it's feathering problem from nissan (I reach around 10 000km on my tire). So I look around on post and found this: TBS reference NTB04-043 april 12, 2004 for 2003 Z. I have a 2004.

Now, let's told you how I'm **** off about nissan canada and nissan. I go to the dealer and give the TBS and the guy told me it's only for 2003 so your's not warranty. The service guy told me they will make alignement and change tire (left to right and ...). I got call from my dealer and you know what? My tire are finish, I have to spend 400$can/tire and the alignement. I call nissan canada and the guy on the phone say it's only warranty for 2003 so I have to pay for this ****....1000$can with tax for all the stuff...I'm so **** off. Anyone in my situation?

What I'm a little bit worry is, they did alignement, but when I will change my tire (if nissan don't warranty it...nissan canada and dealer have to spoke between because it's totally anormal...the problem is still there on 2004)...did the problem can appear in around 10 000km? I read somewhere, I can be wrong, but to really fix the problem, I have to buy an aftermarket piece. Anyone can give me more information?

I really advice and help so thank to everyone.

Phil
Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 PM
jwelsch

Phil....

I have a 2004 performance model and they replaced my tires under warranty. They went through everything in the TSB and got permission from Nissan to replace them. At the time they told me there is a separate TSB for 2004 models but I have yet to see it. I was back the other day because these tires are starting to feather and they said come back when it gets worse and they will address it again. I would maybe try calling Nissan USA and see if you get a different answer maybe?

Joe
Old 09-21-2004, 03:09 PM
azrael

I just went through this and Nissan USA wouldn't do anything for me. I have definite feathering on my 2004, and although the dealership recognizes and admits the feathering, they said they can't do anything without permission from Nissan USA.

I called the Nissan North America consumer relations phone line and they told me it's a known issue and they believe that there will be a TSB issued for 2004 models sometime soon. I'll believe it when I see it.

So far I'm extremely disappointed in their handling of the issue. Alignments are NOT the solution. Hopefully they'll have a real solution soon. Otherwise, I'm going to drop this car like a bad habit and move on to something else.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:16 PM
koolyce

Ok, but if your car have more then 1 year or more then 12 000 miles, they wont change your tire. Mine was 1year and 1 month, but when I did service, they suppose to check tire.

If alignement it's not the solution, what's the real solution?

thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Ronny

Phil, if you bought your car in August of 2003 and you identified the problem and took it in July 2004 (and had less than 12,000 miles on it), you should be covered under warranty. This has nothing to do with the TSB you referenced, which is only for 2003 models.

However, the way I read it is that you took it in for normal service in July with no comment about the tires? You feel they should have checked them and told you they were feathering?

I agree with you. I sympathize with you. But, unless you can convince your dealer or Nissan to make an exception, I think you're **** out of luck.

Having said that, I'd be damned before I'd give them a penny for new tires. Too many other people sell them.

Sorry, and good luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 PM
koolyce

Damm...but I suppose to get answer from nissan tomorrow...hope they will fix them. And the real solution to fix this because I'm pretty sure a realigment won't fix it for ever and at the price of those tire, I don't want to change it again in 10 000km.

Btw...if nissan won't do anything for my tire, I will consider to sell it to get other sport car. When you 50k$ can for a car and the most expensive from nissan, you hope to get good service.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
alindo

I am also in the same situation. Dealer said they couldn't do anything about it until they get the ok from NNA. I called NNA and they said pay for it, and they will reimburse me when the TSB comes out.

What if the TSB doesn't come out for a while? Then I'm out $500.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Ronny

BTW, Phil, if I were you, just before I gave up, I would go see a Bridgestone dealer and check out the basic tire warranty. Worse case - they'll say no. Maybe they'll prorate the tires. That's better than a kick in the head.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ronny
BTW, Phil, if I were you, just before I gave up, I would go see a Bridgestone dealer and check out the basic tire warranty. Worse case - they'll say no. Maybe they'll prorate the tires. That's better than a kick in the head.
Bridgestone might prorate the tires, but you don't want to put RE040s back on the car. The 350Z isn't the only car getting short tire life with this tire. Lots of people are having to replace them with less than 15,000 miles on them.

I'd recommend replacing them with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW. Tire Rack has them for $168 each for the fronts and $178 each for the rears. These tires are much quieter, handle better, ride better, and the tread design is better for resisting feathering.

I'm beginning to believe that the 350Z's feathering problem is at least partly due to the tire Nissan chose to put on this car as OEM equipment. The negative camber designed into the suspension is going to cause tires to wear most on the inner edges, but the original RE040's shoulder blocks made matters much worse. I note with interest that Bridgestone has changed the shoulder design for these tires for 2004, and there seem to be fewer feathering complaints with the 04s. But the g-Force shoulder is much more robust than even the modified RE040.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:51 AM
Ronny

I wouldn't argue with shopdog on that. However, if Bridgestone, or even Nissan, would prorate, I'd get whatever they offered and wear them out first. That would give some justification to changing out the rears after they get some more mileage on them. There seems to be a lot of good choices out there which are more desirable than RE040s.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:31 AM
koolyce

thanks for help.

So I will change it for those BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW but it's ok to change only the front? I don't want to spend for rear tire because the are still pretty good.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by koolyce
thanks for help.

So I will change it for those BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW but it's ok to change only the front? I don't want to spend for rear tire because the are still pretty good.
Generally not a good idea to mix tire brands or types on the same car.