Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

3m Clear Bra Question...Do you think he'll cut my bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 AM
TommyBoy76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3m Clear Bra Question...Do you think he'll cut my bumper?

Has anyone here had their clear bras custom installed on their bumpers by a skilled cutter (meaning no computer-cut kit)???

Those that have a pre-cut clear bra on their bumpers, are you happy with them and does it cover most of the bumper? And what about symmetry. That's my main concern.

The person i found here in toronto is pretty notorious for custom fitting clear bras on bumpers and claims that more of the bumper would be covered this way with less seams showing, but of course, as much of an artist he may be, I'm still worried about clean cuts around my emblem, lights, etc.

He said I should be more concerned with symmetry with a pre-cut kit....because its all about proper placement.

What do you guy's think? Thank you.

Tom

Last edited by TommyBoy76; 09-23-2004 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:00 AM
TommyBoy76

anyone?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:40 AM
samurai1

Default No

I had my full front end kit installed by a factory 3M trained installer. They would have to be very skilled to install it by eyeballing the cuts. It took 2 installers 7 hours to intall a kit to my front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, door edges and bottom of the fender wells. They have to stretch and smoothe out a huge piece for the front bumper, which is the most difficult part.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:40 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I got the kit precut installed. Yes, if you look less than 12" away you might notice it just like the film that comes from the factory in front of the rear tires but if that bothers you, you better take that factory film off as well....

Last edited by zland; 09-23-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:54 AM
jwelsch

A good friend of mine did mine and it came out great. He doesn't recommend using the precut kits because they just don't fit right. The 3m film needs to be stretched and it's almost impossible to get it perfect if it's precut. He uses a single sheet of film where the kits are pieces so you'll have more lines....
Old 09-23-2004, 12:21 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Had mine done @ the Dealer, but beware of that also.

The Nissan so called 3M installer guy razor bladed my entire bumper, hood, mirrors and sides. Cost the dealer $2500 in damages along with me never going there or buying another NIssan from there again!

Do you homework and get the facts to see how long he has been doing clear bra's.

Check with the BBB also to see if he had any previous complaints. GL!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:32 PM
bilinghm

I had a precut one piece installation on my front bumper. The guy I used has a huge plotter that cuts the film right there in his shop. It took about 5 hours for the installation and it is very smooth and well done. I believe the film has already saved me from several "collisions with crap" that would have caused some damage to the bumper. Highly recommended. However, if you want more information on evey aspect of the process and the pros and cons, go to this site: TintDude.com and look under paint protection film.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Nominee

Default Re: 3m Clear Bra Question...Do you think he'll cut my bumper?

Originally posted by TommyBoy76
Has anyone here had their clear bras custom installed on their bumpers by a skilled cutter (meaning no computer-cut kit)???

Those that have a pre-cut clear bra on their bumpers, are you happy with them and does it cover most of the bumper? And what about symmetry. That's my main concern.

The person i found here in toronto is pretty notorious for custom fitting clear bras on bumpers and claims that more of the bumper would be covered this way with less seams showing, but of course, as much of an artist he may be, I'm still worried about clean cuts around my emblem, lights, etc.

He said I should be more concerned with symmetry with a pre-cut kit....because its all about proper placement.

What do you guy's think? Thank you.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Let's go together, you're talking about the location at Yonge and Steeles right? Then we can DEMAND a better price.

That guy was telling me the same thing about the 'custom bumper wrap'. PM me your number or something.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:12 PM
lunartick13

Be careful who you pick, do your home work, I made the mistake of having a local installer that buys his kits direct from 3-M, which is fine but IMO this is a two man job, the front bumper is the hardest. Anyway I had to stop this dude about half ways in the intallation, when he said " I will pop that bulble with a pin or a razor blade".
I made him remove the some what installed bra and that was scary cause I thought the paint was going to get damaged.
Next day I called someone else I asked the right questions, this two guys came over to my garage, it took about 4.5 hrs and their kit was costum cut by them, they had their own plotter and software, I am really happy with it , best 500.00 I have spent on my Z, I know it has saved my front bumper , no chips.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
JoneZZZ

I just had mine done....just as mentioned before, do your homework....ask around.......I ended up taking the recommendation of an installer from my Nissan dealer's Parts Dept. Mgr.......installer did a fantastic job.......