Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Buena Park preview!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 08:55 AM
kevintari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Buena Park preview!

Wow, I figured the boards would have been lit up by now! Jmanz--there were probably enough photos and video taken there to fill up an entire section by itself, along with all the reports I'm sure are coming...

I left my USB cable at work, so gonna have to post pics tomorrow. Got a lot of close-ups.

The car is very cool. I do need to back down a little from my original post about the materials and finish though...while it's good, it's definitely not my A4 (of course, totally different car) now that I've had a chance to touch everything. Still impressed, though (I'm WAY critical, my girlfriend, however, was completely blown away by the car)...

The center console where you rest you right arm is hard plastic with a molded leather-like texture. Same with the dash behind the instrument cluster, over ther steering wheel...but only on the driver side. On the passenger side, it's like hard rubber. The console where the stereo and a/c is is nice. Doors are great, they're soft. The handle I particularly noticed (both int and ext actually), they're very heavy, solid metal.

I've gotta admit I liked the cloth seats better than the leather, and an leather upgrade on my performance model was going to be the first mod. I am definitely going to change out the rims though, the track rims are AWESOME, the regular 18s to me look better in pictures, not great up close.

If you can afford the nav, GET IT. By far the most awesome nav system I've seen, it's also a car computer that tells you all kinds of stuff (there's someone here who played with it a lot more than I did so I'll let them post details). It definitely changes the look of the dash too. My only complaint about it (I don't know how many people tried this) is when you close the nav lid it's pretty wobbly and feels a little too flimsy.

The non-Bose stereo is not great. Prepare to upgrade if you're an audiophile in the least. Your opinion may vary. The Nissan guy turned it up a little and the door speakers were buzzing like crazy.

The exhaust sound ROCKED! You've juust gotta hear it to appreciate it.

The fit and finish of the ext body is primo. Very nice, very sleek, very mean looking. It's amazing how wide this car is, and how low to the gound it is. VERY narrow gap in the wheel well, too. The lights look awesome when they're lit, especially the parking lights. This is a really stylish car, very unique.

Storage: It was proved you could get a golf bag in the trunk and close the lid! Surprisingly, no glove box (there's a pseudo-glove box behind the passenger seat, along with a lower storage bin). There's a cigarette lighter in the back between the two seats as well. Cup holders are a pita, you have to reach behind toward your elbow to get to the two main ones. There's a 3rd cup holder that pops out of the pass side dash, to the left of where the glove box would be. It was convenient, but a little rattly. There's a little storage in front of the center cup holders, in the same bin, and what seemed like a pretty useless little change holder under a small lid in front of that.

I personally like the rear strut brace, it does take up a lot of room but I'm not buying the car to hold luggage. It's very thick and significant.

The short throw shifter rocks.

Defintiely the best $30k or so you can spend, as far as I can tell! A test drive will decide it...

Last edited by kevintari; 06-14-2002 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:43 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VQracer
omg i can't wait you ahve one of teh best photo sets.
So excited that you can't type huh? lol..
Old 06-14-2002, 10:06 AM
BrianZ

Kevin,

Excellent post. Thanks for hitting all the highlights.

A couple of other things I noticed: there are luggage tie-downs in the rear; the handle in back of the passenger seat tilts the seat forward so you can get at the storage bin behind it; spare tire is in the back below the mat (decent sized spare, though not full); panel in back of driver's seat is blank just WAITING for a sub-woofer.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Scafremon

Kevin/Kenneth/Steve.........

Did you happen to notice on the non-Bose car, if there is an identical storage compartment behind the drivers seat, as the one on the passenger side? I've never checked, but I think thats what you get if there isn't a subwoofer there.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:11 AM
SeedyRom

Default Re: The Buena Park preview!

Glad you guys made it out! I figured I'd clarify on a few things

Originally posted by kevintari

The car is very cool. I do need to back down a little from my original post about the materials and finish though...while it's good, it's definitely not my A4 (of course, totally different car) now that I've had a chance to touch everything. Still impressed, though (I'm WAY critical, my girlfriend, however, was completely blown away by the car)...

The materials and interior finish may be changed slightly before the car hits the showrooms.

The center console where you rest you right arm is hard plastic with a molded leather-like texture. Same with the dash behind the instrument cluster, over ther steering wheel...but only on the driver side. On the passenger side, it's like hard rubber. The console where the stereo and a/c is is nice. Doors are great, they're soft. The handle I particularly noticed (both int and ext actually), they're very heavy, solid metal.

As you noticed, there are a variety of textures within a small area. Again back to the changes in materials, I would not be surprised if something was done to make things more "uniform" seeing as the constant switch in materials (especially the dash area) takes away from the fit/finish

I've gotta admit I liked the cloth seats better than the leather, and an leather upgrade on my performance model was going to be the first mod. I am definitely going to change out the rims though, the track rims are AWESOME, the regular 18s to me look better in pictures, not great up close.

I agree. Nissan had to make awesome cloth seats when it comes in most models...especially the track. They give much nicer than the leather and allow you to sink in better

If you can afford the nav, GET IT. By far the most awesome nav system I've seen, it's also a car computer that tells you all kinds of stuff (there's someone here who played with it a lot more than I did so I'll let them post details). It definitely changes the look of the dash too. My only complaint about it (I don't know how many people tried this) is when you close the nav lid it's pretty wobbly and feels a little too flimsy.

What you were looking at is EXACTLY the system that is in the current Q45. A *very* nice system with great features...surely one of the best NAV/Control units in the automotive field. The lid slides up with the push of a button, but yes...it's very flimsy and almost feels like you're going to break it when you pull it down. I have a feeling this will be improved.

The non-Bose stereo is not great. Prepare to upgrade if you're an audiophile in the least. Your opinion may vary. The Nissan guy turned it up a little and the door speakers were buzzing like crazy.

Don't let the stereo in this car fool you though...while stock radios are never "great", this isn't necessarily indicitive of what you'll see in the showroom. However, the Bose one is actually much nicer (considering the Z32 Bose was HORRIBLE...trust me, I know). The Bose people are tuning the systems IN the car...so I'm hoping the finished product will be quite nice.

The exhaust sound ROCKED! You've juust gotta hear it to appreciate it.

Agreed. It will sound VERY nice with a cat-back exhaust...video of the sound is in the other thread with my pics

Defintiely the best $30k or so you can spend, as far as I can tell! A test drive will decide it...

Agreed. Rest assured that after a drive, you'll be sold
Old 06-14-2002, 11:16 AM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by BrianZ
Kevin,

Excellent post. Thanks for hitting all the highlights.

A couple of other things I noticed: there are luggage tie-downs in the rear; the handle in back of the passenger seat tilts the seat forward so you can get at the storage bin behind it; spare tire is in the back below the mat (decent sized spare, though not full); panel in back of driver's seat is blank just WAITING for a sub-woofer.
Actually the tie-downs are loops for a netting that Nissan will be offering. When putting stuff in the back for a short trip, it gets MAJORLY tossed around...so the netting will be mandatory for most people. And of course, you could just use string/rope and tie-down like you said

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2002, 11:29 AM
BrianZ

SeedyRom:

Thanks for the info!!! Robert from Nissan mentioned to me that these were not quite "production" models, but darn close. I would say these things could be sold today with the materials that were in them. Making it more uniform to enhance the fit/finish would just make an already great car greater!
Old 06-14-2002, 11:36 AM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by BrianZ
SeedyRom:

Thanks for the info!!! Robert from Nissan mentioned to me that these were not quite "production" models, but darn close. I would say these things could be sold today with the materials that were in them. Making it more uniform to enhance the fit/finish would just make an already great car greater!
You mean 240Z Bob? Yeah, they aren't production just yet (hence my huge post a few days ago in that long thread )

They are darn close though...as with ANY new car that's coming out, the company will run through numerous stages of prototype cars before settling on the final one. They are still in this process as production does not start until July. But yeah...they look great so far!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:49 PM
kevintari

Thanks for the update, SpeedyRom...good stuf to know! That all makes me feel MUCH better with my decision.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:39 PM
christurismohk

thanks for the info!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:43 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default Re: The space behind the driver

Originally posted by kraZy
Jeff, there is NOTHING behind the driver's seat on the Track model Seems like it's a sealed compartment, but the space serves no purpose. Perfect for a sub-woofer...

K
So there is not a door that you can open behind the driver seat? it's just a plastic cover? Can you open the sealed compartment?
Old 06-15-2002, 12:06 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Re: The space behind the driver

Originally posted by Apexi350z

So there is not a door that you can open behind the driver seat? it's just a plastic cover? Can you open the sealed compartment?
Its not a storage compartment. There's just a blank panel there. To me it looked very easy to remove and that it was waiting for a sub-woofer.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:15 AM
kroams

I wonder if with some modifications you could convert the storage compartment behind the passengers seat to also have a sub. That would be sweet to have two 10's right there. No need to squeze a box in the rear.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:00 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by kroams
I wonder if with some modifications you could convert the storage compartment behind the passengers seat to also have a sub. That would be sweet to have two 10's right there. No need to squeze a box in the rear.
It looks like you could, but it would be smaller than the one behind the driver.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:35 AM
Scafremon

Default Re: The space behind the driver

Originally posted by kraZy
Jeff, there is NOTHING behind the driver's seat on the Track model Seems like it's a sealed compartment, but the space serves no purpose. Perfect for a sub-woofer...

K
ZISME had previously mentioned the following, which indicates that on models without a subwoofer, the large compartment behind the drivers seat IS for storage. Maybe they changed it since April, or maybe the track model yesterday just wasn't complete (no latch on lid)

Storage compartments - 1 large storage area behind both seats (in Touring Model large storage area behind driver's seat is replaced with sub-woofer); 1 smaller storage compartment behind each seat and above larger storage compartment (if NAVI ordered smaller storage compartment behind driver's seat is replaced with NAVI head unit).
Old 06-15-2002, 06:48 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Re: The space behind the driver

Originally posted by Scafremon

ZISME had previously mentioned the following, which indicates that on models without a subwoofer, the large compartment behind the drivers seat IS for storage. Maybe they changed it since April, or maybe the track model yesterday just wasn't complete (no latch on lid)

Storage compartments - 1 large storage area behind both seats (in Touring Model large storage area behind driver's seat is replaced with sub-woofer); 1 smaller storage compartment behind each seat and above larger storage compartment (if NAVI ordered smaller storage compartment behind driver's seat is replaced with NAVI head unit).
Yeah, it could just be the pre-production nature of these cars that caused them to be without a storage area behind the driver.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:47 AM
Zay

I'm a bit confused about the stereo. Is there a cassette player with the Bose system? I originally thought that there wasn't but, some of the latest pictures are showing a cassette player. What's the deal?

Quick Reply: The Buena Park preview!