2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:45 AM
aaronpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Removal

Hey Guys -
I had my windows tinted and an NOT happy with the job done. Am going to try and get my money back and then go somwhere else. Anyhow, Can the tint on the rear window be removed without ruining the rear window defroster element? Maybe a dumb question, but just want to make sure.
Thanks!

Here are some pics of my new ride:
http://www.11after.com/Z/
Old 10-13-2004, 06:04 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea it can be done. just be far far away when it is done. it smells very very bad when the tint is removed.

very bad.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:41 PM
rockinbboy

good luck....95% of my defroster lines were cut when I got my tint removed from the back. It was a shitty removal too. Call around..ask how good they are with removal. Ask what if they cut defroster lines..what discount they will give you etc.

FYI..if u get ur defroster lines cut..there is a defroster repair kit you can purchase. Basically its paint with metalic properties. Can be messy if you don't have a stable hand. I did a shitty job but at least 95% of my lines work now. Still a few I need to debug.....
Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 PM
islandsnow

If it's normal film type tint, here's what my tint dealer does. On a super hot day, cut some black trash bags so they fit behind the rear glass, buy some windex, spray the heck out of the tint and cover the inside back window with the trash bags. Tape it all up against the sides of the glass till the whole back window is like sealed with the black trash bag. It's a good idea to put some towels below if you don't want your car smelling like windex. But the idea is to get the window as hot as possible as the ammonia soaks into the film and loosens the adhesive. It took a few hours in the sun, but the film did start to get a little loose. From there start to peel it off, if the film tears, spray it down some more and let it sit for an hour more. If the film isn't coming off keep spraying. It's a good thing to start this as early and sunny a day as possible. After you get the film off, wipe it down with some paper towels and keep wiping till you get most of the goo off. If you can't get some spots, they used a super light steel wool (don't get the kind that will scratch your glass) to clean off the rest of the goop with more windex. The defroster lines were still there and worked after. good luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:08 AM
350maxima

A heatgun works wonders too.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:07 AM
aaronpaul

Yikes -
Thanks for the replys. Sounds scary now. When they removed the side windows they pulled up a corner, then used a steam gun to heat up/add moisture to the adhesive side of the film and it came off pretty easy. Of course this was only a day or so after it was originally put on.

So, what happens when your back window starts to bubble after 10 years of sitting in the sun (if you were to keep it that long)?? are you just screwed? The lifetime waranty isn't worth much if they have to destroy your defroster to remove the old tint...
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Sully

I wish Nissan would just add that as an option, Factory tint from my experiences has always been the best bet. Always looked the best also..

Sully
Old 10-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Nforce1

Originally posted by Sully
I wish Nissan would just add that as an option, Factory tint from my experiences has always been the best bet. Always looked the best also..

Sully
Sorry, Ill have to disagree with you there.... They always use the cheapest tint. When I got my car done, I had them do my sisters mustang also... Ford used crap tint so it started to bubble and turn purple after 7 years! (Long time, but still.... the new tint out today will never bubble and never turn purple)