Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need quick advice (Transmission issue)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 12:49 PM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need quick advice (Transmission issue)

My car is at the dealer right now for several items, including the grinding when trying to go into the gears at higher RPMs. I just spoke with my service rep and he said the technician was not able to duplicate the transmission issue (argghhh). He said it drove fine, so now I'm faced when going down there to prove my point about the transmission not working as it should....any advice or help on this? Ofcourse the service rep adds, well the techs haven't driven many of these so they don't have a good comparison...I was like...if they have driven standards before they should know this isn't right. I even explain to them about InternetAbyss's issue he had and what they looked at to determine what was wrong....ARGGHHH!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:58 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I have had that problem before with other cars, and the best thing is not to get upset but ask to have the tech guy go with you for a ride so you can show him what your problem is. I hate those "cant' duplicate" responses, but sometimes the explanation of the problem doesn't come across right when the tech guy is reading the description written down by the advisor from your verbal description.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:13 PM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I know this sounds stupid but of course make sure you are fully pushing in the clutch - I've noticed the clutch engages a bit soon on mine. That's about all you can do on your end.
Otherwise it's in the car somewhere, maybe something as simple as air in the hydraulics.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:23 PM
aggie300zx

I appreciate the advice. You are right, I should try and approach them with a cool head. After having this car now for over two months and 3400 miles, I have tried different methods of shifting and clutch usage. I, not being that knowledgable on the mechanics of a transmission, have not be able to come up with a pattern of failure as it relates to the issue I described. I would have hoped that the "experts" would notice this much more quickly, but I guess I was "hoping" for too much. I will see what they have to say once I get there in a few.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 10-29-2002, 01:28 PM
350zSpeedRacer

I hate those "could not replicate" answers too. But sometimes, they don't understand what you're talking about so it's a good idea to take one of the techs with you for a ride to show him/her what the problem is.

They may notice something, but it may not "match" in their minds so 9 times out of 10 they'll say they couldn't get your car to respond.

Good luck though and don't let what happened to Abyss happen to you!
Old 10-29-2002, 01:33 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by aggie300zx
..... I would have hoped that the "experts" would notice this much more quickly, but I guess I was "hoping" for too much. I will see what they have to say once I get there in a few.

Thanks again for the advice!
I would tend to agree that the experts should know but lets face it most of them are jack of all trades and will be working on struts one day and fuel injectors the next and they only get the car for a drive and when they can't duplicate your problem they assume nothing is wrong and go on to the next car, that is why I suggested a drive along with the tech because you know your car and exactly when the problme occurs they may not be duplication the condition to be a ble to duplicate the problem.

One thing I found out is that my dealer has a policy of paying his tech guys and advisors on salary with an incentive by the survey responses they get therefore satisfied customer means more money to them, while some old school dealers still operate under the "how much money did you generate" so if the problem is not found right away the will move on to the next one.

Good luck, if after trying the nice approach they are still ******** wait for the survey and let Nissan know and in the meantime find another dealer.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:29 PM
silvertrackz

Default trans replacement next week

I was interviewed a week ago by a NISSAN Engineer and told him a few issues about my Z, one is a whining noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. He said he will get back to me ASAP, sure enough he got back to me today. On Nov. 7th, 2 Nissan Engineers are coming to check my trans and possibly replace it. They are bringing with them a new transmission.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:55 PM
Slexis200

i have all these prlems with my car too, but my service dealer sucks, how do you guys talk to technicians? How do i do it?
Old 10-29-2002, 06:32 PM
aggie300zx

I wish I could have that same conversation...hehe! Well I talked with the Service Manager (he drove the car as well) and he had trouble duplicating the problems as well, but the good news I believe is that Dutch from NNA is going to be at the dealership Friday and he was going to talk with him about the issue. This is the same Nissan guy that helped Internetabyss with his issue that led to the new transmission. I believe this to be good news in that Dutch is familiar with the issue and at least how they resolved the issue...stay tuned.

By the way, did the Nissan engineer call you out of the blue or was it based on a complaint to 800Nissan1?