Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

05 Track 350z Vs 05 WRX STi...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by myinfinitig20
im not sure, the track z isnt just an update intake and exhaust, it has new cams and valve timing (am i right?)
pistons, cams and valve timing. And Im willing to bet the 300hp rating is INDEED underated.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:13 PM
BigRich

Default i disagree...

Originally posted by psteng19
Sad to say but the STi would destroy the Z in pretty much any scenario.
STis tend to have heavy understeer, whereas the Z is much more balanced (though it understeers as well). Having driven both the Z and the STi, I can tell you that the STi is tougher to rotate through corners than the Z at technical tracks...but one thing is for certain, STIs will pull on any unmodified Z in any straight away.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:38 PM
del105
15 f125

I bought an 03 350z when it first came out. A year later I sold it for an STi. 2 weeks ago I bought an 05 350z. The STi is faster, but on a road course or auto-x course it is a pain in the *** to drive. The STi most of the time will be faster in both those types of scenarios but you are fighting the car the entier time. The 350z even though it has no camber in the front feels far more balanced and predictable at the limit. The 350z is just more fun to drive stock. Honestly I just wish honda would make the s2000 in a coupe so I could have the car I really want.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:58 AM
psteng19

Originally posted by onii
i still dont get y people are comparing a FI to NA. how bout the fatass redneck driver get out of his car and i'll race him on foot down the block? that comparison makes about as much sense
It's not about FI vs. NA.
It's about what people cross shop.

They are compared because they are in the same price bracket and they both boast ~300 HP.

If you want a reason why they shouldn't be compared, it's because one is a 2 seater sports coupe, the other is a compact econo-sedan.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:17 AM
del105
15 f125

Originally posted by psteng19
It's not about FI vs. NA.
It's about what people cross shop.

They are compared because they are in the same price bracket and they both boast ~300 HP.

If you want a reason why they shouldn't be compared, it's because one is a 2 seater sports coupe, the other is a compact econo-sedan.

Calling the STi a compact econo-sedan just makes our "sport-coupe" that much crappier that a compact econo-sedan tears it to pieces on the track.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:42 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The STI is a four door with a park bench on the back of it....yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Old 10-31-2004, 05:49 AM
del105
15 f125

Looks are a matter of opinion. The facts are the STI will beat out the Z in every performance category.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 AM
thawk408

What about braking?
I was looking at an STI the other day and noticed that the Brembos on that and the Brembos on the Track look almost identical.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:09 PM
del105
15 f125

Originally posted by thawk408
What about braking?
I was looking at an STI the other day and noticed that the Brembos on that and the Brembos on the Track look almost identical.

I'm not possitive but I think the STi brakes better as well.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:17 PM
spf4000

Originally posted by booger
The STI is a four door with a park bench on the back of it....yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Why do people make these kinds of idiotic, meaningless statements? Looks are subjective--that is your opinion. We're trying to discuss the performance aspects of the car.

Now, to get back on topic, del105, how come you feel that the STi is harder to drive on a road course? Can you elaborate? When I drive the STi on the track, I notice that it's pretty easy to control at the limit. It understeers, but so does the Z. The STi exits much more confidently out of low speed corners. The ride height feels weird after being in the Z, but it doesn't seem to affect its cornering grip at all. I notice a bit more body roll in the STi than the Z, though.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:43 PM
del105
15 f125

Originally posted by spf4000
Why do people make these kinds of idiotic, meaningless statements? Looks are subjective--that is your opinion. We're trying to discuss the performance aspects of the car.

Now, to get back on topic, del105, how come you feel that the STi is harder to drive on a road course? Can you elaborate? When I drive the STi on the track, I notice that it's pretty easy to control at the limit. It understeers, but so does the Z. The STi exits much more confidently out of low speed corners. The ride height feels weird after being in the Z, but it doesn't seem to affect its cornering grip at all. I notice a bit more body roll in the STi than the Z, though.
It is just more of a chore to drive. It takes more concentration to drive at the limit than the Z does. Part I think this is due to the ACD. The Sti feels kind of numb and you really have to pay attention to what the car is telling you. It almost feels like the STi is driving you. The Z is more point and shoot. I really notice the difference on an auto-x course where there are alot of fast transitions and very little time to read what the car is telling you.
The STi one of the only cars I've ever driven that has both on and off throttle oversteer. It is impossible to trail brake an STi at speed. It is also very easy to unload the car and get it squirrely. I just think the Z is far more predictable. Please don't interpret this the wrong way. The STi will be faster around a track it just takes more concentration to do it.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:46 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Lets say you have a choice of doing it with Rosanne Barr or Heide Klum. Further assume Rosanne will turn you inside out while Heide is great but just not up to Rosanne in performance.

Who would you rather "do"?

It may be subjective but, factually, 99% of rational guys (don't know about female switch hitters! LOL!) would choice Heide.

And Rosanne is better looking than the STi.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:50 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Again with the looks!
he never asked about that.

One thing no one mentioned that is VERY important is how easy it is to mod the STI and how hard/ $$$ it is to mod the Z.
Stock for stock it may be close with the nod still going to the STI but just $2,000 later GOODBYE!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:27 AM
zillinois

Here's an interesting article about the STI and EVO where they briefly compare them to a 350Z and talk about the non-linear nature of the EVO's and STI's power.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=3

In the article the STI ran 5-60 in 5.8 seconds. I'm pretty sure a stock Z would beat that mark. The Z is a formidable car from a roll in this price range. I'm sure once the boost kicks in the STI will pull. But before that point the Z is going to be right there and maybe even ahead. I find that in the wild, STI's are a driver's race. You gotta stay in the boost for the car to be fast.

At Road America road course three weeks ago, I was pitted against 5 STI's!! Beat all but one. They do pull hard out of the corners! I've got video of one of the STI's which was only about a second behind me and in the video you see that he is near the edge of traction going through the corner where it looks like I am going slow and in control. What's nice about the STI's is that when they get sideways in the corner, they just step on the gas harder and straighten out and go. Not so in the Z, you have to lift or hold steady. Also, I came upon a badly driven STI (almost 17 seconds slower) and I shot out onto the main straight right next to him to pass and he sh*t canned the gas. We horse raced almost 1/2 mile down the straight and we were dead even. Neither of us could pull. He finally lifted so I could slip in ahead of him at the last second. They are formidable cars. No doubt. This is my first year tracking a car and my first time at that track so I think it was a pretty good test. A well driven STI will probably beat a Z at a horsepower track. It would be a good race though. Another thing to note is that many of the STI owner's were under their hoods in between sessions fixing and tweaking things. I think these cars would not hold up well to regular tracking. Too many hoses and belts and electronic gismos to break. The STI in the pits next to me had a boost leak. He missed a session looking for it.

Also, funny in the article the STI and EVO are compared to a 360 Modena as mentioned earlier in this thread!!

I personally think the 05' track will be better with less torque and more hp. We have so much torque down low that it hurts our launch.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:36 AM
jfranci3

The only reason the STI is 1sec quicker in the 1/4 is the drivetrain destroying launch. If you were do a non-drivetrain destroying launch with the sti, the advantage would only be a few ticks because it's broader power band.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:45 AM
amallari

I wonder how you guys can compare a highly modified 4 door against a 2 door legend sports car. If you compare the Z against the STI its like apples to oranges. The STI has a turbo, all wheel dirve and others. The Z is just a plain V6 non-turbo, rear wheel drive, better suspension. If you compare the Z it is should with the RX 8, Boxster, NSX, and others. You should compare the STI with the EVO.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 AM
s0nz

Originally posted by del105
I bought an 03 350z when it first came out. A year later I sold it for an STi. 2 weeks ago I bought an 05 350z. The STi is faster, but on a road course or auto-x course it is a pain in the *** to drive. The STi most of the time will be faster in both those types of scenarios but you are fighting the car the entier time. The 350z even though it has no camber in the front feels far more balanced and predictable at the limit. The 350z is just more fun to drive stock. Honestly I just wish honda would make the s2000 in a coupe so I could have the car I really want.

why not buy a s2k and get a aftermarket hardtop? like this...

Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 AM
del105
15 f125

Originally posted by s0nz
why not buy a s2k and get a aftermarket hardtop? like this...

Its still a convertible. I image a coupe version would weigh 100lbs less than the convertible S2000. That one probably weighs 100 lbs more. I also image the coupe would be a hatch back. I just don't really like the way the convertibles look I guess.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:09 AM
spf4000

Originally posted by amallari
I wonder how you guys can compare a highly modified 4 door against a 2 door legend sports car. If you compare the Z against the STI its like apples to oranges. The STI has a turbo, all wheel dirve and others. The Z is just a plain V6 non-turbo, rear wheel drive, better suspension. If you compare the Z it is should with the RX 8, Boxster, NSX, and others. You should compare the STI with the EVO.
It's not really an apple to orange comparison when we're talking about performance--especially out on a track. Who cares if you're driving a turbo charged 4 cylinder boxer engine, or a NA V6, or even a V10. All that matters is 1. How fast it is around corners 2. How fast it is on straights 3. How well it brakes 4. How easy it is to drive 5. How reliable/durable it is 6. Cost/performance.

Since the STi and Z are relatively in the same price range, it's fair game.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:22 AM
KingofScion

I guess real question is what are you trying to accomplish?
we all have different priorities.

cost performance ratio?
daily driver, reliablity and longivity?
looks (completely subjective)?
1/4 mile time?
warranty?
passenger room?

A Toyota Camry XLE (v6 with Navi) lists for 30,800
That doesn't mean I compare it with the Z or STi.

They are both great at doing what they were reting to accomplish.

do you think a Z would rally as good as n STi?
I don't.

do you think the Sti would last as long as 350z no, I think a nissan will last 200,000 miles 10 years if treated right
I think an STi would last no moare than 120,000.

I think the 350z will KILL in "trade in" value after 10 years, 100,000miles. (see: nissan 300 zx)

Cars are also not toys for most of us, my 700 a month payment (i went short term fin @ 3.89%) totally effects my monhtly budgeting.

Ownership is a very important variable to me.

So all in all you need to compare what mattes to you.
Analitically, and emottionally the 350z roadster was a better buy than the WRX STi for ME, I smile when I park next to one, but I do get nervous when I pull up to one at a light. I'd rather pull up to a Mustang GT (stock ) or a modified CIVIC SI.

I do not the priorities of a WRX STi owner are the same as a 350z owner.

Quick Reply: 05 Track 350z Vs 05 WRX STi...