Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

05 Track 350z Vs 05 WRX STi...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM
LeanerJoe
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In stock form the STI will out perform the 350. It's that simple.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Setter32

I don't agree with the statement that the STI is quicker than the Z in stock form.

There are plenty of variables here that can swing it either way. Depends on the track. They both have strong points and weak points. Depends on how you use these strong points and weak points........................and so forth.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:37 PM
spf4000

Originally posted by Setter32
I don't agree with the statement that the STI is quicker than the Z in stock form.

There are plenty of variables here that can swing it either way. Depends on the track. They both have strong points and weak points. Depends on how you use these strong points and weak points........................and so forth.
What kind of track situation do you think the Z would have an advantage over the STi? Can you cite some examples?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:07 PM
del105
15 f125

Originally posted by spf4000
What kind of track situation do you think the Z would have an advantage over the STi? Can you cite some examples?
With auto-x in mind I would say the Z might/ probably would be faster only for the fact that it can more easily accomodate a 275 40/17 kumho 710 In stock form.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
spf4000

I haven't seen a Z being driven by top drivers around an autox course so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I have seen the STi around a gymkahna course driven by top racers, and those things are FAST. None of the FR cars could touch them (and therefore, they are in a separate class).
Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Setter32

Well let see. Can't give you all the possible scenarios, but I'll give you the ones that I'm familliar with.

Drag strip. Advantage STI

Tight road track (like the Streets of Willow in Cal). Advantage Z. I was at this track with my Z. In an intermediate group, I was behind an STI. The driver's skill set was similar to mine. From observing him,

(1) it seemed like it was more difficult for him to pull off late braking. I had an easier time with my Z. This is one of the points where I gain grounds on him. Note: my brakes on non-brembos. I have the enthusiast model.

(2) on a single turn, he had a strong drive out. The Z is no slouch either, but took some work on my part to keep pace. Periodically he would gain a bit on this point.

(3) on the chicanes though, it was a different story. He seemed to have had a hard time with these. I didn't with the Z. The Z was very controllable, tossing from one turn to the other. The STI was a bit slower in these sections. This is also where I gain grounds on him.

(5) The straights. Well, this just depends on who is on the gas first coming out of the turn preceding the straights. If I don't screw up, usually we are even ( as in....I stayed right on his rear).

Over all, if he was not in my way in some of the sections of the track, I could have passed him. It would have been tight and close, but that day, the Z could have had a faster lap time than the STI. But I want to point out, that I was totally mentally exhausted after this particular session. But it was fun, and my best session of the day.

I agree that this is not very scientific, but I think it's good enough to show that the 2 are pretty tight in terms of the diff in their performance (given that the drivers are similar in skill set). Given certain conditions, one will squeak out the other.

Now let say I can rearrange the track layout a bit. widen some of the curves a bit. Reduce the amount of chicanes. And who knows, it may end up diffently. I may end up being in his way.

It would really be interrestin to see how the same scenario would have played out on the big track (Willow Springs). This track is not nearly as tight as the Streets of Willow, and is considered to be a very fast track.

Also, my Z was totally stock....including the tyres. I don't think the STI's tyres were stock (could be wrong), and the exhaust didn't sound stock either.

Anyhoot, that's my 2 bits from my meager experience.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
TwiZted

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to say all of this is irrelevant, what it really comes down to is the driver in both cars. The same driver in both cars the STi is hands down faster, but all skill levels are not equal. It is like comparing apples to oranges but at the same time we are talking about cars in the "performance" market aimed at the same market segment.

I raced a bone stock STi from a 20mph roll up to 140 and put about 2 car length's on him, from a stop I would have been playing catch up from the get go. Don't forget with a turbo AWD car it is very easy to bog on the launch, that goes for any turbo car.

I guess if the question is which car is faster on paper it's the STi

I don't care though we all have our own reasons for what we buy, mine is so I can get sideways I have had 3 rwd cars and two AWD cars and I have come to realize that I like RWD much better
Old 11-04-2004, 07:08 AM
STi

Newbie here just recently purchased an STi after test driving a 350Z. This has been a really interesting thread, especially the “testimonials” on the track. I’m not here to troll, just here to read up on the Z. BTW, nice board.