Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First Mustang race...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002 | 06:29 PM
importriders

Originally posted by 98gt281
Just add some gears and exhaust to the stang and it will outrun the Z, not by much but it will!! Add the saleen extreme suspension package and it will handle better too, that would put you to about 26k and outperforming the Z in everything.
Man, you need to work in the automotive industry. You seem to have this car stuff down to a science. Add gears, exhaust, and suspension on a stang and it outperforms the Z in everything and all for only $26K!!! DAMN...what the hell were them ford engineers thinking??? I think you should write to Ford R&D and tell them exaclty what you just said here. Maybe, they'll give you a job as head design engineer. I think you got a shot because I also believe it is really that simple. Damn, Ford engineers, they could learn a thing or two from you. Get to typing buddy. You got a bright future ahead of you.

Last edited by importriders; 11-01-2002 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2002 | 06:37 PM
3502GO

98GT,

Once the GT got going off the line, he was staying an even 2 cars back. Once we were up to 100, he was falling back very very slightly so the Z does pull on the GT better on top end than low end, its just the Z grabs like glue off the line compared to the GT. I'm not sure why, maybe it was driver ability, My family does have a rich history inn racing so maybe its in my gene's!

Sure you could mod the GT to be quicker than the Z and handle maybe as good as the Z but the Z can also be modded to blow away the mod'd GT. Its all about money once you leave the stock status so you cannot even begin to compare the two. If I only had 10 grand, don't worry man, I would probably get a GT too, there's nothing wrong with a little cheap muscle!
Old 11-01-2002 | 06:42 PM
importriders

Yet another post that made no sence!! Are you diagreeing with me or what? Because I am right. A new GT can be had for about 22k. Gears and pipes will put you back about 1k. The suspension is 2G plus install so say 2.5k. That help. Here is the suspension set up I have...http://www.saleen.com/store2000/set1.asp?x=1 Hope this helps. Unless you were serious.. In that case
No...I'm dead serious. Are you typing???
Old 11-01-2002 | 06:47 PM
Zzyzx

WHOOOOOOOOSH!

The sound of something flying over head FAST!

Another day in the life of the clueless :-p

Please stop now Importrider, before I die of asphyxiation due to uncontrollable laughter. :-D
Old 11-01-2002 | 07:02 PM
importriders

No ford like to make all their money off the parts they should have put on the car in the first place!! IE: Ford Motorsport!!
Well then, buddy. I think you know where to send that resume now, Ford Motorsport!!! "If you can't get in done in original design, then get it done in aftermarket!!!", that's what I say. Go show them Ford Motosport guys how to make them gears and exhaust. Better yet, screw Ford and send that resume to Saleen. I think you have a better chance over there. They have real engineers and I think your right on par with them. We need more engineers with your mentality. Throw caution to the wind and away with logical thinking. We need more engineers that believe they are right, not because a computer print out tells them they are right, but because they believe in their hearts that they are right. So get on it buddy, follow your heart.
Old 11-01-2002 | 07:24 PM
z461

Yea, i will agree that the Z definately pulls at higher speeds. When we went around the corner onto the onramp I was pushing about 45 mph, then we slowed down and he punched it first, at around 65-75we were accelerating quite evenly, but past 70 and I believe the 2nd/3rd downshift and halfway into 3rd I started pulling faster so I switched lanes and passed him (not quickly, but definately pulling on him). By 110 I was way past him
Old 11-01-2002 | 08:03 PM
soslo

How ya doin fellas? I just wanted to chime in and say:
1. The issue at hand is a stock GT (with exhaust apparently, you can't really see an intake through the hood) VS a stock Z.
2. This should be a pretty even race IMO, and I think the Z would have the high speed advantage with the lighter weight (300 pounds or so)...and possible a HP advantage.
3. Cobras a different than GTs (obviously)...that's not what the issue is here.
4. Ford is not going to build a racecar with all of the best parts and features from the showroom floor - nor will any other volumne manufacturer. I work at a Toyota assembly plant, and let me tell you there are a lot of compromises. It's not about building the fastest car to them, its about building the cheapest car.
5. I am looking forward to seeing more Zs on the street...if you know of any in the SF bay area, email me and we'll hook up and race.
Old 11-01-2002 | 08:56 PM
importriders

Originally posted by soslo
I work at a Toyota assembly plant, and let me tell you there are a lot of compromises. It's not about building the fastest car to them, its about building the cheapest car.
So why can some companies build a fast, cheap, high quality car and some can't? That's exactly what Nissan did. Well anyways, if you can answer that question you wouldn't be spending your time here on this board, you'de be to busy counting your millions from consulting fees.
Old 11-01-2002 | 09:08 PM
3502GO

OH, I almost forgot! I had a passenger with me and the windows ALL THE WAY DOWN up to 100 which definitely didn't help and I was still pulling on the stang. Thats an important little detail, that added 220lbs and the windows down.
Old 11-01-2002 | 09:26 PM
Silver Lining

Originally posted by importriders
So why can some companies build a fast, cheap, high quality car and some can't? That's exactly what Nissan did. Well anyways, if you can answer that question you wouldn't be spending your time here on this board, you'de be to busy counting your millions from consulting fees.
fast, cheap, and high quality ....
33K isnt really cheap. (at least to me, might be some somebody else) High quality is still under debate about the Z, I seem to remember alot of posts of tranny problems, rattles, orange peel ... ect. The Z doesnt have many miles on it yet so alot of problems haven't occured yet if any.(hopefully they wont) I still like and respect the car as I do others, so dont take this post as an affence because I do like the car.

Just my evalutaion of it, I am sure it will change as the car gets older.

my .02 take it as you will.

Last edited by Silver Lining; 11-01-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2002 | 09:31 PM
TJZ

Yet another post that made no sence
ROFL

That''s soo funny! He complains about others' not making SENSE while his posts are filled with run-on sentences and sentence fragments. We will not even discuss his spelling choices .

Last edited by TJZ; 11-01-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2002 | 10:07 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

I looked at a mustang a few times, they have orange peel too.

anyway, as for rattles HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA, I have a freind with one, I havent driven it, but I have driven in it. and my lord, its like a drum roll in there.

as for "more speed off the line" hows that? the narrower stock tires? or are you gonna continue to claim the mustang is faster when you modify it? thats lovely, so is a civic, just toss a new engine here, a turbo there and a geo metro can beat a ferrari.

either race stock vs stock, or give the Z the same stuff your giving the GT. in which case I believe SCC did so and pulled nearly a G on the skid pad. beating many exotics.

anyway, as for up top, dont think so, up top hp rules and redline, while the Z is pulling in its 4th gear around 90mph, the GT will be in its final 5th gear, when the Z just tosses it back into its own 5th with still one to go, keeping the gearing advantage through thu upper gears.

the GT SHOULD take some sort of a lead after the launch in 1st and second where its muscling its way through, after that the Z has advantages in weight, and hp.

an in no world is the GT's antique suspension design better than a Z, the Z is state of the art all aluminum.
Old 11-01-2002 | 10:32 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

no there wont. if any. the race between a GT and a Z will be a close one. however although I feel like Im making excuses(honest Im not, I have already admitted they are very well matched) the GT has a much larger engine, 2 extra cylinders, and can not handle nearly as well.

I mean lets argue the points worth argueing. Im willing to concede that the GT vs Z is a drivers race at best, and if you remove stuff from the exhaust, a V8 will get great gains. putting it ahead.

but the Z wins in handling, the GT is overweight, and poor suspesion setup.

Quick Reply: First Mustang race...