Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help me keep my sanity!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 AM
350maxima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me keep my sanity!!

Here's the scoop folks. I want a Z, BADD!! I have 4 payments left on my Max and I'm getting married next April. The thing is that I have a little over $10k that is completely disposable (got lucky with the stock market) and it's burning up my pocket. My goals were to pay off the Max, get married, pay off wedding/honeymoon, and then get into a house next summer. The problem is I want all this to happen first but my lust for a Z is almost too unbearable!!

I just need some encouraging words of patience to get me through
Old 11-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Methane

Im sure you would get good trade for your Maxima if you upgrade to another Nissan. However family should come first so make sure you think things over with your wife to be so you can afford the extra payment every month. Goodluck with your decision.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Du4L337

This is what I would do...
Pay off the Max and keep it for crappy wether day...
If you don't keep Max, good chance u gonna lose Z/ZR when baby comes
Buy a Z/ZR...
Have bride's father pay for wedding ...
Take honeymoon in Z/ZR unless u are flying...

And live happily ever after... J/K.. hehe

What ever you do, keep Z in your plan.. U won't regret it
Old 11-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Peter_in_Atl

What does your betrothed drive? What gets traded in when a little one arrives?

Take the following words of "wisdom": Once you are married...

Life, as you know it, is now over!

Your life as a single person is over. You become a married person. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's different. All major decisions become "our" decision.

When you decide to have children, once again,

Life, as you know it, is now over!

You're no longer just a married person, you're a parent and all of "our" decisions are made "for the children".

That said, if you make large amounts of money, it doesn't matter. If you don't, get the house first. The Max is still a good ride.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:27 AM
ANXIOUZ

Well, not everyone gets married just to have kids. I've been married for almost 6 years and there are no kids or plans to have kids. But yeah, it will be an "our" decision to buy a Z once you get married.

What does the wife-to-be think about the Z? If you can get her excited about it, then it'll be easier to convince yourself to go for the car sooner.

Also, you mentioned getting into a house. You'll need that $10k for the down payment, no doubt. But if you only have 4 payments on the Max left, pay it off early with that money. Then use the rest for the honeymoon and house down payment.

6 months until the wedding isn't long at all. Just ask yourself if you'd rather have a house to share with your wife, or a car and a crappy apartment? I went for the house first....and I just got my Z recently. It'll all work out fine!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Peter_in_Atl

Originally posted by maximXL
Well, not everyone gets married just to have kids. I've been married for almost 6 years and there are no kids or plans to have kids. But yeah, it will be an "our" decision to buy a Z once you get married.
You and I are the exceptions. My wife and I are going on 15 years with only a chocolate lab to show for it.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:37 AM
350maxima

The future Mrs has already approved the Z. She isn't excited about it, she thinks I'll kill myself, but in no way negative. I made a deal to pay all car insurance when I get the Z.

I've planned for this for about 2 years. I have around 20K just to use for the house/closing costs and etc. The 10K I mentioned earlier is totally seperate and wouldn't have an affect on purchasing a home.

The Max stays also, she has a 2-door accord that will be paid for in 3 years and we've discussed trading that in on a Murano or Pathfinder once the Z is paid for.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Peter_in_Atl

What do you mean "you'll pay"? It's "our money."
Old 11-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Alang

Don't know what housing prices are doing in NC, but if there is good appreciation in housing, you should pay off as many debts as you can, save for a 20% DP on a house (to avoid PMI), sit for a year and then use home equity to pay for your Z (assuming interest rates havn't gone crazy).

With patience, you can have it all.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:44 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Peter_in_Atl
What do you mean "you'll pay"? It's "our money."
How long have you been married? What's yours is hers and what's hers is hers. You should know that by now!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:23 AM
orhanz33

since your somewhat familiar w/ the stock market, i would invest more $$$ and not get the Z untill you have enought to pay cash in full... i would use it as my "motivation" to do better
Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stand your ground man. Marriage is expensive. Give it a year. If you've still got that 10K in a year, buy a Z.

Your Z will become a point of contention if money gets tight and the "if you just hadn't bought that damn sports car" remarks start flying.

Kids may or may not be in the picture right now, but if/when they are, sports cars tend to be one of the first things to go. It would suck to put 10K into a car only to find out that the depreciation has eaten all that up so now you're starting from 0.

One last thought......Coming to the Z forum asking a bunch of Z owners to tell you not to buy a Z is nuts!

Good luck, and congratulations in advance on your wedding.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:37 PM
wanderlust

throw that 10k back in the market and make it a goal to pay cash for the Z. That's what I'd do...

My pick: INCX

It's at 15.34 now, and it'll be 50 in six months. Mark this post!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
mxpx_8

Please don't buy a Z! You are just going to suffer with the tire feathering problem! TRUST ME!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mxpx_8
Please don't buy a Z! You are just going to suffer with the tire feathering problem! TRUST ME!
Yes, because *your* Z has feathering, every other Z on the planet must also have it and therefore the car is to be written off as a valid purchase altogether. I think not. Take thy rant elsewhere!!! (it is a good way to persuade him into waiting though!!!)