Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A Nissan Dealer overfilled my oil by 4-5 quarts..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 02:10 PM
VeeTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Nissan Dealer overfilled my oil by 4-5 quarts..........

I had my oil changed last month at a Nissan dealer in Anniston Alabama. About 6 days ago I started to notice a burning smell, and thought maybe a pastic gorcery bag I had seen, had gotten caught up under the car, as the smell was kind of in between that of an oil burning or plastic smell.

Well, the smell started getting worse, so I took the car to a Nissan dealer here locally, in Georgia. They called me up about an hour ago and told me the smell was due to oil getting on the bottom of the motor, and exhaust, and that whoever had changed the oil last had put in twice as much as they are supposed too.

I immediately called the dealer in Alabama to let them know what was happening, and gave the number to the dealer who has the car now, so they could also contact them.

As of now they are apologizing, but not saying exactly what they are going to do, but I promise you, if they don't pay for all cost involved, I will be taking legal action.

The dealer in Georgia is keeping my car overnight, after changing the oil, and cleaning the oil up, while looking for source of where its coming from.

This is not sounding good. As it stands now I am witholding the name of the Dealership involved, so that I can keep things in order if I end up taking legal action.

Needless to say, I am not very happy right now.

That means that the service tech didn't check the oil level after changing it, which baffles me. I was there close to closing, so maybe they were in a hurry, but still, thats just insane.

My oil pressure didn't seem to be any different either, but a factory oil pressure gauge isn't going to show exact pressure, and the car ran normal as well.

Anyway, I am beside myself right now. I hope they do the right thing, if not, see you in court, and its not going to be pretty.

Last edited by VeeTec; 11-11-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope things work out for you.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:40 PM
onii

wtf.. that's like, double. hope they didnt charge u extra for the oil too...
Old 11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
cammyfive

Lets trade our cars in and go back to 'trouble free' Maximas.....lol. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:54 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

Overfilling your oil is far worse than not enough oil in the engine. Make sure to check that the engine hasn't permanently been damaged.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:33 PM
barrybell

Originally posted by TECHNOSQUARE
Overfilling your oil is far worse than not enough oil in the engine. Make sure to check that the engine hasn't permanently been damaged.

That is a very good point, the oil was being cooked, and can turn to a point when it will not lubercate due to viscosity brake down, and metal to metal wear. The crankshaft is what can get hit with the most damage first. Short trips around town should not be a concern, but a long trip (hours) is a concern...
Old 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

Especially if you ran it hard at one point or another. After the crank, your cams could get damaged, etc etc...
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 PM
VeeTec

I have driven the car on the freeway to Alabama and back twice since then.

I hope its not damaged.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:55 PM
OneFast944Turbo

Yes that is true that is the worse thing you can do to a motor today is overfill it... Its a typical dealer mistake cause they dont care about their work but rather then getting the car in and out.... Make sure you take statements and just anything else you can from the dealer that discovered the problem because if that was my motor i would diff ask for a new motor!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Mr_Q

I have my oil changed at the dealer too. Mainly because the guys are cool and I like having "dealer service" records.....becuse I am **** that way...heh.

ANYWAY

I always bring my own oil though. 5 quarts of Mobile One. And I watch them do it.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:08 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Over filling oil

If you over fill an engine it actually will cause oil temperatures to rise significantly. This temperature rise then causes oil pressure to drop. What happens is the crankshaft basic "whips" air into the oil since the oil level is higher than the crankshaft counterweights. And air in the oil is not good!

Good luck with the dealer. I hope the engine is ok.