Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

PowerLock Starter Imobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 12:46 PM
JimmysZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb PowerLock Starter Imobilizer

Have any of you guys or gals heard of this system?? Supposidly its the best system against vehicle theft... asuming they dont flatbed your car. Basically it disables your starter selonoid unless you have the transponder device to authenticate the code.

I also read an article that inidcated you can get it installed with a fuel cutoff device since I guess manuals could be pop started with the clutch.

Apprx $300.00 installed (229.00 system)

Considering it for the Z... What are your opinions?????

http://www.powerlock.com/consumerfront.asp

Thanks...
Old 11-01-2002, 04:50 AM
JimmysZ

Default Re: PowerLock Starter Imobilizer

Come on guys... NO Opinions????
Old 11-01-2002, 06:47 AM
JimmysZ

bump
Old 11-01-2002, 08:09 AM
JimmysZ

68 people have viewed this thread and theres no comments...

Come on you guys!! Doesn't anyone care about vehicle security????
Old 11-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Them Bones

Default Why?

Okay, I'll bite. Why would you pay $300 for something your car ALREADY HAS? Your key is coded and read via an antenna in the steering column every time you start the car. I'd be worried about a shop willing to install something your car already has! Save your money for more power or something.

-TB
Old 11-01-2002, 09:30 AM
JimmysZ

Default Re: Why?

Originally posted by Them Bones
Okay, I'll bite. Why would you pay $300 for something your car ALREADY HAS? Your key is coded and read via an antenna in the steering column every time you start the car. I'd be worried about a shop willing to install something your car already has! Save your money for more power or something.

-TB
Thanks Them Bones...

Its like pulling teeth to get a reply on this one!!

First, I wasnt a 100% sure that the Z came stock with the chip in the key, Imobilizer system. Second... Ive heard those can be defeated with code generating equipment. The Powerlock is a mechanical system that cant be defeated unless you rip out the starter and stick in a new one that doesnt have the PowerLock mechanism attached to it. With todays technology, theres always away around something that is done electronically or by a computer.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:37 PM
JimmysZ

This is sad....
Old 11-01-2002, 08:26 PM
JimmysZ

No Opinions huh???
Old 11-01-2002, 09:00 PM
Them Bones

Default Re: Re: Why?

Originally posted by JimmysZ
Thanks Them Bones...

Its like pulling teeth to get a reply on this one!!

First, I wasnt a 100% sure that the Z came stock with the chip in the key, Imobilizer system. Second... Ive heard those can be defeated with code generating equipment. The Powerlock is a mechanical system that cant be defeated unless you rip out the starter and stick in a new one that doesnt have the PowerLock mechanism attached to it. With todays technology, theres always away around something that is done electronically or by a computer.
Unless you plan on taking the engine with you, any effective theft deterrent is going to be electric/electronic.

Your description of Powerlock doesn't make sense. Are they changing the starter to a custom unit? I don't think so. So why do you say it can't be defeated w/o ripping out the starter? Plus, if that's the only thing in the way, a push start will defeat it!

The factory system has something like one billion codes. There is a procedure to use a key that hasn't been learned by the system, but it's not going to be convenient for a theif trying to make a quick getaway. Any aftermarket system can be bypassed just as easily or more easily than the factory system.

Like I said, spend your money on something else or send it to me. Got it?

-TB
Old 11-01-2002, 09:40 PM
JimmysZ

Default Re: Re: Re: Why?

Unless you plan on taking the engine with you, any effective theft deterrent is going to be electric/electronic.

Your description of Powerlock doesn't make sense. Are they changing the starter to a custom unit? I don't think so. So why do you say it can't be defeated w/o ripping out the starter? Plus, if that's the only thing in the way, a push start will defeat it!

The factory system has something like one billion codes. There is a procedure to use a key that hasn't been learned by the system, but it's not going to be convenient for a theif trying to make a quick getaway. Any aftermarket system can be bypassed just as easily or more easily than the factory system.

Like I said, spend your money on something else or send it to me. Got it?

-TB
Them Bones...

Go to their website... read it fully and then give me your comments on the system. I admit, I may not be explaining it 100% correctly, but thats why I posted the website.

This system is mechanical and supposidly cannot be bypassed. The only way according to the company is to replace your starter without the device attached to the selenoid.

As for jump starting, I believe you can add a fuel cutoff option to stop this.

"Billions" of codes can be generated Im sure by theives with their latest gadgets. I have also heard that they can wire around these factory imobolizer systems.

Thanks...
Old 11-01-2002, 10:17 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Sounds like a waste of money to me.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:07 AM
Them Bones

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why?

Them Bones...

Go to their website... read it fully and then give me your comments on the system. I admit, I may not be explaining it 100% correctly, but thats why I posted the website.

This system is mechanical and supposidly cannot be bypassed. The only way according to the company is to replace your starter without the device attached to the selenoid.

As for jump starting, I believe you can add a fuel cutoff option to stop this.

"Billions" of codes can be generated Im sure by theives with their latest gadgets. I have also heard that they can wire around these factory imobolizer systems.

Thanks...
Know two things:
1. Most theives aren't high tech.
2. Most theives don't have a lot of time.

With the factory system, the car will have to be towed.

Otherwise, if I understand your argument, "Billions" of codes can be generated Im sure by theives with their latest gadgets, doesn't Powerlock use a coded transponder? In addition, anything that is wired into your car can be bypassed.

I don't have a Nissan service manual, but I do have a Ford manual that details the PATS system. Ford reads the key with an antenna in the steering column and transmits the code to the PCM (computer). How are you going to wire around that? Yea, the engine will crank, but no fuel and no spark = no takie.

The only thing I can figure here is that you sell this system and are trying to generate sales. Aftermarket alarms are a waste of time and money when the factory security is as good as Nissan has provided with the Z.

Bottom line...If someone wants your car, they will get it one way or another. It only takes a few seconds to back up a tow truck and hook it.

-TB
Old 11-02-2002, 07:15 AM
Them Bones

Default By the way...

That code generating equipment the theives will be using, so you say, will take 475 years to find the right code out of even one billion possibilities because you have to turn on the ignition and turn the key each time you generate a new code. My guess was that doing this would take 15 seconds each try. Dude, by that time you car is going to be a little pile of rust laying on the ground in a scrap yard. Still interested?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:10 AM
JimmysZ

Default Re: By the way...

That code generating equipment the theives will be using, so you say, will take 475 years to find the right code out of even one billion possibilities because you have to turn on the ignition and turn the key each time you generate a new code. My guess was that doing this would take 15 seconds each try. Dude, by that time you car is going to be a little pile of rust laying on the ground in a scrap yard. Still interested?
Them Bones...

#1... your totally off base with the "Im selling this system and I am trying to generate sales BS... I am just trying to get everyone to chime in and give their input on the system. Isn't that what these forums are for??? To get others opinions and ideas?

#2... By your first reply to my post, you asked if they were replacing the starter with some custom unit. That told me you didnt really review their website, therefore I had to give as much details about the system as I could to answer your questions. Again if you reviewed their website, you wouuld have found out that they dont use transponders, but a pen like device that you carry on your key chain that you have to physically touch to the reciever unit under you dash.

#3... I am not an expert on stealing cars, so it isnt too hard to imagine theres some gadget a theif would have to generate the code normally in the transponders key, OR hotwire around the system altogether. Are you an expert on stealing cars??? Are you sure they cant get around the code generating faster than you think or hotwire around the system??

#4... I agree with on theres no way to stop them from towing or flatbeding your car off... But I read that a high percentage of car theft is done by hotwiring.. not towing.

Again, I am just trying to get others opinions on the system AFTER they have read the companys website and really gave it some thought before nocking it OR saying its great.

I had a good laugh when you said I was a salesman... HA!

And... thanks for your opinions on the system!
Old 11-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Them Bones

Default Re: Re: By the way...

Them Bones...

#2... By your first reply to my post, you asked if they were replacing the starter with some custom unit. That told me you didnt really review their website, therefore I had to give as much details about the system as I could to answer your questions. Again if you reviewed their website, you wouuld have found out that they dont use transponders, but a pen like device that you carry on your key chain that you have to physically touch to the reciever unit under you dash.

Yea, I looked at the web site. Unless I read it wrong, they are using a transponder. I use the same thing to buy gas. It's called a SpeedPass. There is no electrical contact, it's all radio.

Like I said before, if Nissan is disabling the engine with the computer, it's not going anywhere and no aftermarket system that you put on top of that is going to make it more secure.

Maybe you should think about Lojack, just in case. At least you'll get the car back quickly if the worst happens.

-TB