Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

G35 coupe and 350z

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:26 AM
theguykevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35 coupe and 350z

will i feel the difference between 350z AT and G35 coupe AT???
i will going to test drive after a week...^^
Old 11-14-2004, 01:04 PM
NzZ

Default Re: G35 coupe and 350z

You'll definitely notice a difference. The G has a noticeably smoother ride but a lot more roll motion to accompany it. My advice would be this: if you're not instantly thrilled with the Z, stick with the G. Too many people buy the Z not realizing the handling/ride tradeoff..and they usually end up in a G.

NzZ
Old 11-14-2004, 01:11 PM
DragonGcoupe

You'll notice the difference alright.. Try testdriving them back to back.. The Z feels much sportier..
Old 11-14-2004, 02:54 PM
theguykevin

ok...^^ thx
Old 11-14-2004, 06:22 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kevin, is there a reason you're not considering a manual? Not that there's anything wrong with an Auto, but IMHO, manual's are so much more fun! (If you're in the NoVA area and need to test drive a manual, let me know, we can hook up and you can take mine for a spin)
Old 11-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how many of you realize he may drive a 05 G coupe with the new Sport suspension option. I've never been a fan of the oem G suspension's lack of weight transfer control. But a recent test drive in the 05 coupe with the sport suspension, I fully believe it uses the shocks out of the Z as part of the package, big change in ride and drive quality, and it's a heck of a lot better tied down with the optional suspension (standard on 05 6MT coupes).
Old 11-14-2004, 07:53 PM
theguykevin

Originally posted by kcobean
Hey Kevin, is there a reason you're not considering a manual? Not that there's anything wrong with an Auto, but IMHO, manual's are so much more fun! (If you're in the NoVA area and need to test drive a manual, let me know, we can hook up and you can take mine for a spin)
wow northern VA!!!
i live in centreville
i am turning 18 and this is my almost 4th yr in USA...(i am korean
anyways...my parents had bad experience with manual in korea...and thats y they dont want me to drive manual...
O...plus! they will b the one whos gonna use the car after i graduate...(i am junior rite now very small chance of taking the car that i am getting...
i am sure that its either 350z or G35 coupe AT New...^^;;;
i want the manual 350z so bad...its not even funny;
Old 11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
DragonGcoupe

Originally posted by Gsedan35
I don't know how many of you realize he may drive a 05 G coupe with the new Sport suspension option. I've never been a fan of the oem G suspension's lack of weight transfer control. But a recent test drive in the 05 coupe with the sport suspension, I fully believe it uses the shocks out of the Z as part of the package, big change in ride and drive quality, and it's a heck of a lot better tied down with the optional suspension (standard on 05 6MT coupes).
The G35c has a suspension upgrade that is that intense? Oh well it doesn't matter, the G35c is still huge compared to the 350Z. That's the difference. Nothing can make up for the missing 13 inches of car, and 8.5 inches of wheelbase. The G35c is practically as big as your full size sport sedan coupe. And the wheelbase is the same to prove it. The 350Z is a whole different car compared to the G35c. The entire drive experience is different. The 350Z is much more of a drivers car than the G35c.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:59 PM
theguykevin

i agree =D
Old 11-14-2004, 10:10 PM
orhanz33

i was "test driving" my friend's G35 6mt the other night for almost an hour... the G35 is similar to the Z, but is definately NOT the same feeling... In the Z you feel connected to the road from the moment you sit in the drivers seat... the throttle feels more responsive.... when sweeping through turns the car feels like it's digging into the the pavement begging to be pushed further to the limit

the G is also a great handling car for a sports coupe and much more comfortable/luxurious then the Z, but it definately feels bigger and heavier... i didn't feel as confident in the G as i do in my car, going through a turn i felt i was taking it too fast while in my Z i feel like pushing it a little more... but the Z is a sports car and the G is a luxory sport coupe... the Z is performance 1st and comfort 2nd while the G is comfort 1st performance 2nd

if i was a G owner driving my friend's Z i would say the Z is more responsive, great handling, but not as luxurious/comfortable

p.s. i agree with kcobean, you should definately try to go for a manual over auto
Old 11-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Gsedan35

Originally posted by DragonGcoupe
The G35c has a suspension upgrade that is that intense? Oh well it doesn't matter, the G35c is still huge compared to the 350Z. That's the difference. Nothing can make up for the missing 13 inches of car, and 8.5 inches of wheelbase. The G35c is practically as big as your full size sport sedan coupe. And the wheelbase is the same to prove it. The 350Z is a whole different car compared to the G35c. The entire drive experience is different. The 350Z is much more of a drivers car than the G35c.
Do you really want to hang the entire weight of your arguement on 210lbs less weight and 7.9" less wheelbase(nissanhelp.com and infinitihelp.com). You fail to understand the roll of proper suspension tuning and it's supporting roll in track level dynamic's and vehicular behavior. The Z will alway's cross the finish line first. But to express that the a 05 coupe with the sport suspension can't drive simularly to the Z when it's suspension is tuned the same because of 210lbs and 7.9" of wheelbase is false. Plus, you have not driven a 05 coupe with the sport suspension, or you already would have mentioned so, you've put yourself into a mod where you simply want to disagree without having considered the bigger picture or applied a full understanding of tuning dynamics. Having said that, given a choice I would still pick the Z for the fastest lap time.

If you ment to limit your comment to 03/04 coupes, which have far too soft suspension tuning, I 100% agree, but not concerning the 05 coupe with the sport suspension. I have driven a Z up to it's handling limits, doing the same in a 03 G coupe was no where near the experinence, same drive in a 05 coupe showed the status quo is not such a mismatch.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:20 AM
theguykevin

i see i see...i guess i amma get G35 coupe AT...
seems like AT doesnt fit with 350z as much as G35 coupe ^^;
thx for infos.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
NzZ

I am no expert on these matters, but experts have explained this to me: To make a heavy car handle as well as a lighter car you have to stiffen the suspension remarkably, often to the point where ride deteriorates. It's part of how the RX8 manages to ride more softly than the Z yet offer similar handling.

The G35 is a significantly heavier coupe...and even if they fitted it with a Z suspension, it would not handle as well. Now if they fitted an ever stiffer setup to the G, I'm sure its handling could be improved to near-Z-levels. I seriously doubt infiniti did that, b/c most G owners are a little older, in search of a smoother ride.

NzZ
Old 11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
theguykevin

i get the point.
i am done with asking my questions (as you can see at the list with my threads )
THANK YOU PEOPLE!

ps. btw kcobean...where u live? do u have AIM or such messenger???

Last edited by theguykevin; 11-15-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
DragonGcoupe

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Do you really want to hang the entire weight of your arguement on 210lbs less weight and 7.9" less wheelbase(nissanhelp.com and infinitihelp.com). You fail to understand the roll of proper suspension tuning and it's supporting roll in track level dynamic's and vehicular behavior. The Z will alway's cross the finish line first. But to express that the a 05 coupe with the sport suspension can't drive simularly to the Z when it's suspension is tuned the same because of 210lbs and 7.9" of wheelbase is false. Plus, you have not driven a 05 coupe with the sport suspension, or you already would have mentioned so, you've put yourself into a mod where you simply want to disagree without having considered the bigger picture or applied a full understanding of tuning dynamics. Having said that, given a choice I would still pick the Z for the fastest lap time.

If you ment to limit your comment to 03/04 coupes, which have far too soft suspension tuning, I 100% agree, but not concerning the 05 coupe with the sport suspension. I have driven a Z up to it's handling limits, doing the same in a 03 G coupe was no where near the experinence, same drive in a 05 coupe showed the status quo is not such a mismatch.
I stand corrected on the part of the 05s. You are correct that I haven't driven an 05 with sport suspension. I will have to drive one myself and find out, hoping it handles better than my 04 6MT coupe.

HOWEVER, I still stand that the much smaller car indeed gives the 350Z a better "feel". Also, I can't see how 210 lbs can be taken so lightly when dealing with the physics of a car... I stand corrected on the issue of the 05 sport suspension if it is as you say.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Gsedan35

Originally posted by NzZ
I am no expert on these matters, but experts have explained this to me:

1. To make a heavy car handle as well as a lighter car you have to stiffen the suspension remarkably, often to the point where ride deteriorates. It's part of how the RX8 manages to ride more softly than the Z yet offer similar handling.

2. The G35 is a significantly heavier coupe...and even if they fitted it with a Z suspension, it would not handle as well. Now if they fitted an ever stiffer setup to the G, I'm sure its handling could be improved to near-Z-levels.
3. I seriously doubt infiniti did that, b/c most G owners are a little older, in search of a smoother ride.

NzZ
1. The RX8 is a wholey different platform, using a different suspension design, which alters how engineers will tune the chassis to get their desired ride and handling compromise. Add to that, a lower CG since the rotory engine is significantly lighter then a VQ motor. Weight differance between a RX8 and a 350Z track is 196lbs. The Honda S2000 is lighter by 390 lbs and again is a vehicle using a sigficanlty lighter powerplant. It is no secret that 350Z owners running is B stock are overjoyed at the thought of the S2000 being removed from the same classification as them. Of note, in spite of the S2000's lighter weight, it's suspension stiffness has been described as "Buckboard ride on anything but smooth asphalt", so in spite of weighing nearly twice as less as the weight differance between the G and Z, honda was compeled to use stiff suspension settings.

2.Your use of the term "The G35 is a significantly heavier coupe" is not a true statemnet, as the factual differance is 210lbs and cannot be termed as significant for the purpose of defining how well a simular vehicle can turn in raw numbers or feel simular while doing so.

Lets refresh on some curb weight facts.
350Z track 3225lbs
G35 coupe 6MT 3435

MotorTrend in testing the 3428lbs 2004 350Z roadster.

"As you'd expect, there's a minor weight penalty (215-240 pounds extra, depending upon model)".

"The Z Roadster looks great, works well, and offers the structural rigidity needed to minimize squeaks and maintains the Z's good handling characteristics."

So, MotorTrend does not define 215-240lbs as significant, nor do they feel it alters the Z's handling characeristics. This, in spite of the fact that the 2004 roadster rides on the 2004 revised suspension, which uses less shock stiffness and greater compliance vs all the 2003 350Z road tests done which do NOT ride on this revised suspension.

The Z again, will hold the upper hand as a result of it's shorter wheelbase, since less wheelbase nets better abilities to transfer weight(your autocross alley), yet still remembering it is a 7.9" differance. Would be interesting to hear what a SAE engineer might calculate that to mean science wise, devoid of a guessing opinion.

I would still rather have the Z for the goal of lowest possible lap times. But it is not correct to say 210lbs and 7.9" less wheelbase will not let both cars feel simular or close to each other while trying to set that fastest lap.

3. Infiniti did not setup the 05's coupe's sport suspension to be stiffer then the Z, least not by my ride and drive. But, since previous sampling has shown that the G and Z use the same spring rates and the same sway bars, we have to note a curious fact Infiniti tells us about the G coupe's new sport suspension. It is not just stiffer shocks then the regular G coupe, but stiffer springs and bigger sway bars. I was not able to take a dial caliper to the sways on the 05 coupe I drove.

We really have to shake the notion we have built up after driving the 03/04 G35 coupes, the revised 05 coupe's sport suspension is a totally differant ball game in specs and in driving experience. Once again, I will point out, ultimately the Z will hold the advantage, the differance in ride and drive feel is simply much closer now. Yes that will disillution a number of people in Infiniti's target market whom will see the setup as overly harsh, but 6MT's are only planned to be a tiny fraction of production any how and the suspension is a option on all the other coupe models.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Shahrum

You're not even 18 yet and your parents are going to buy you a new 350Z or a G35?!

Now I may have turned 18 a few months ago and now own a preowned 350Z... but still, I had to pay for mine!!! :-P ... Sorry... I just find it a little unfair in life to see how some people can afford to buy their children new $35k+ cars when others sit here and can barely afford their Civics.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Gsedan35

Originally posted by DragonGcoupe
I stand corrected on the part of the 05s. You are correct that I haven't driven an 05 with sport suspension. I will have to drive one myself and find out, hoping it handles better than my 04 6MT coupe.

HOWEVER, I still stand that the much smaller car indeed gives the 350Z a better "feel". Also, I can't see how 210 lbs can be taken so lightly when dealing with the physics of a car... I stand corrected on the issue of the 05 sport suspension if it is as you say.
I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you, doesn't matter to me what that choice is, as long as you've been given the correct info to base your decision's on. It does not help matters for you I think that 6mt 05 G coupes will not show up at dealers for awhile yet, Feb/Mar.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:54 AM
NzZ

Gsedan35,

After reading your post I had to see for myself - I just got back from the Infiniti dealer, test drove the 05 6MT (which had the sport suspension). Also drove a used 04 6MT on the lot.

First of all the new 05 G35 6MT was a beautiful car. All the virtues of the 04 (the great exhaust note, the great styling, the gearbox) seemed to be in place. The suspension on the 05 was noticeable, but if I remember correctly the 05 had larger wheels as well. The 05 had less body motion and a slighlty worse ride...but it still felt large and heavy. The car didn't seem as stiff as my Z, so I'm skeptical that it's using all the Z parts that we've heard about. (I'm also comparing this to an 03 Z though..). So my opinion is that the 05 G35c 6MT is closer to the Z, but still doesn't feel nimble. Honestly I preferred the 04, b/c I liked its ride more. To me the 05 car isn't that smooth riding but still feels big and heavy - especially when entering a turn. I'm sure those looking for a Z with 2 rear seats will be happier though.

Now, I have read mototrend's article on the roadster. I cannot explain their findings..and I haven't driven a roadster so I will not comment. I will say that 200lbs is a HUGE amount of weight - almost 6%...and 7.9" is a LOT of wheelbase as well. Almost any enthusiast would agree that these differences are significant. Lightweight versions of street cars are often <200lbs "lighter" than the production version....so unless all the people that purchase those cars are being ripped off..I do believe 200lbs is significant.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 AM
StarcraftBW

N O V A wohoooooooooooo

Quick Reply: G35 coupe and 350z