Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Push button start??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:08 PM
350eeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Push button start??

My friend brought this idea up to me....He was talking about installing the S2000 "Engine Start" button in his car. Did anyone ever try this?

I was thinking about installing it on the lower console next to the Hazard signal. (Dont steal my idea!)

Whatcha think??

-E
Old 11-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Shahrum

I personally think it would be a waste because a lot of these aftermarket "push-starters" require you to still stick the key into the car in the start position. What would be nice is a system where it would recognize the key being in your pocket and then when you press the button, start the car. I know cars like the Corvette, some upper Benz models, and the Ford GT do this, I believe the G35 too?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:47 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shahrum
I personally think it would be a waste because a lot of these aftermarket "push-starters" require you to still stick the key into the car in the start position. What would be nice is a system where it would recognize the key being in your pocket and then when you press the button, start the car. I know cars like the Corvette, some upper Benz models, and the Ford GT do this, I believe the G35 too?
If its like that much work, I might as well turn the key while its in the ignition...
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds cool, but I don't think it's worth the money...
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
BigMoeTaki42

The only upside would be that it would look cool. Maybe not so cool when everyone sees you sticking your key in and turning it to the start position, THEN pressing the button...
Old 11-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Shahrum

I had remote start on my Mustang, now that was something that not only "looked" cool (being able to start my car from several hundred feet away) but was quite effective and benefitial (especially on cold winter days when I wanted my car nice and toasty before I went in it!). Push button start is neat, but not when you still have to end up using your key -- that defeats it's purpose IMO.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:33 PM
dkny_boi

Do it if you like it... the newer cars do sense the key, but even the S2000 you have to put the key in first don't you?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:22 PM
shimz350z

I always thought it was cool. The s2k you have to stick the key in...then press the button.

As for the z...i guess it's hard to wire it to react like the the s2k....you can still start up the car by turning the key and pressing start button.

I think it's just a "cool" feeling type of mod. but I think the best engine startbutton for the z is....the bmw z8
Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
BriA5

I would agree. The Z8 start button is a really nice touch.

Just for the record though, even in the Z8, you still need to put the key in, turn it to "start", then push the button.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:35 AM
roydiculous

sonZ on this forum did it... straight from the S2000. He didn't give details though
Old 11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
s0nz

I already did it...
Old 11-16-2004, 12:39 PM
newmexicoZ33

Default Re: Push button start??

Originally posted by 350eeze
My friend brought this idea up to me....He was talking about installing the S2000 "Engine Start" button in his car. Did anyone ever try this?

I was thinking about installing it on the lower console next to the Hazard signal. (Dont steal my idea!)

Whatcha think??

-E
Well, seeing as how plenty of people have already done this a long time ago already (Ie. Phatmitzu) you would be stealing their idea. Also, this is one of the oldest modifications around. Push button starter kits have been around for a long time. AS people said, the s2000 and most aftermarket kits are meant to be used after the key is already in the on position. However, you can literally tap directly into the ignition (disabling the key) and in this way the car would automatically start when you push the button, but then anyone could start your car. THere are plenty of tutorials on how to hook these up. All they are is a button which you connect to power, ground and ignition, and if you're smart you'll use a relay as protection. I actually installed an Ignited one on my old car. It's kinda cool for a while, but then it wears off.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

The push start button is not really so great. My 1963 Austin Healey Sprite had an ignition "pull" button. You put the key in the ignition, turned it on then pulled a separate button to start the engine. I believe most British sports cars in the 50's and 60's had this kind of arrangement. It was a pain in the butt. I think it is better to just stick the key in the ignition and start the car.

Les
Old 11-16-2004, 05:25 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have any idea what the proximity requirements are between the key and the ECU (or whatever creates the magnetic field that powers up the transmitter in the key)? If 'in my pocket' is close enough, I might consider getting a plain old duplicate key made that doesn't have the chip and leave it in the ignition. That way, I can leave my keys in pocket when I get in the car. Yeah, you still have to 'turn the key', but nobody can steal the car because the chip is not present.

Sound feasible, or am I missing something?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:33 PM
shimz350z

Originally posted by KornerCarver
The push start button is not really so great. My 1963 Austin Healey Sprite had an ignition "pull" button. You put the key in the ignition, turned it on then pulled a separate button to start the engine. I believe most British sports cars in the 50's and 60's had this kind of arrangement. It was a pain in the butt. I think it is better to just stick the key in the ignition and start the car.

Les
pull and push are two very different things

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I don't see the hassle to put a key in the ignition then press a button(it'll make the car feel more like a video game-ish)

If the push button is in an area that is hard to reach then...I would see how it would become a hassle.

The only thing I don't like about this mod is if we install and engine start button and you can also turn the key all the way to start it. It MUST BE APPLICABLE TO ONE ACTION...LIKE THE S2K AND Z8(i don't know much about the z8)
Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 AM
350eeze

Thanks for the help guys....