Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Infiniti EX35

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Infiniti EX35

Nissan only just released news that it has suspended development of its heavy-duty pickup--indeed they may scrap the program entirely--and it appears they may even abandon some of their body-on-frame trucks like the Pathfinder, Armada, and Infiniti QX56. The reason? The rising popularity and attractive fuel economy of crossovers. And the company’s latest salvo is sure to shake up the market of SUV/car blends: the Infiniti EX.

The Infiniti EX Concept, which made its public debut at the New York International Auto Show in early April, features the sensual lines and performance of a sports car with the utility and all-wheel-drive security of an SUV. And it is a concept essentially in name only. Infiniti sources assured Nissan Sport that the vehicle is as much as 95 percent production ready.

“With this stunning EX Concept, we’re pleased to announce that along with the basic exterior and interior designs, the production Infiniti EX will include much of the EX Concept’s innovative technology,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division, Nissan North America, Inc.
As with many concept cars, the EX does have some cutting edge technology not quite mature enough for production. Such is the case with the EX Concept’s liquid crystal glass roof that electronically alters the top of the vehicle from a transparent state to a more translucent appearance.

“The EX Concept’s glass roof technology is a fascinating study in how technology can be utilized to change the entire interior atmosphere of a vehicle by adding or subtracting not just light, but the occupants’ view of the outside world,” said Igo.

But look for some of the other features to appear on the EX in the near term, such as the Around View Monitor (AVM), which uses miniature cameras mounted behind the windshield and on the sides and rear of the vehicle to help reduce blind spots during parking. Meanwhile, the Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system utilizes a piece of existing technology (Infiniti’s currently available Lane Departure Warning System) to interact with the VDC system and assist the (sleepy? distracted?) driver to maintain lane position if he or she begins to inadvertently drift out of the lane.

While not directly intervening with steering, LDP utilizes VDC braking of individual brakes to begin a gentle yaw movement back into the intended lane. One would assume LDP would not be activated if the driver signals for a lane change. Besides improving the chances that modern drivers might actually use their turn signals, some might see LDP as the next coming of Big Brother. Others may view it as the epitome of benevolent technology. In either case, both AVM and LDP may be considered among the next wave of active safety devices that seamlessly will be woven into our future vehicles.

Other details for the production EX remain unreleased, but sources have told Nissan Sport that it will be a 3.5-liter V6 with a five-speed automatic tranny (we predict it will be the VQ35HR, although the DE is a possibility). The official name for the crossover with be, appropriately, the EX35. You can bet Infiniti will be seeking a balance of fuel economy and performance for this model. Whichever engine is selected, expect to see it matched with an all-wheel drive system with an electric soft-touch shifter controlling it from the cockpit.

Speaking of the cockpit, there’s plenty of leather and aluminum alloy trim from the driver’s seat. The EX Concept features an interior lighting system with special indirect headrest illumination. To your right is a large, leather appointed center console box to hold all your gadgets, while a driver-oriented instrument panel reflects violet colored, high-contrast gauges and a wide LCD monitor for audio and HVAC control. Of course, the signature Infiniti analog clock is present as well. Looking toward the rear, a large rear cargo area combines function with a little flash in aluminum alloy flooring with luggage rails.

“The EX Concept’s interior is all about driving pleasure and passenger comfort,” said Igo. “Like the exterior, it offers a coupe-like feel but surprising utility--ideal for today’s active lifestyles.”
Utilizing yet another variation of the advanced Front Midship (FM) platform series, the EX Concept is expected to be a sharp handling vehicle. Riding on a 112.0” wheelbase (slightly tighter than the G Coupe’s 112.2”), Infiniti’s crossover will have a relatively small turning circle and enhanced maneuverability. The rear multi-link suspension has a low shock absorber layout to maximize cargo space in the rear. Wheels and tires also look production ready, with 19” seven-spoke alloys carrying 245/55-19 tires.

“The EX Concept is the perfect fusion of a luxury coupe and a high-utility SUV,” said Igo. “Its ‘right-sized’ packaging gives it excellent around town maneuverability, while the wide rear hatch and low load floor make it a versatile performer for everyday and weekend use.”

The EX35 is poised to slide into the lineup next to the highly successful FX series as early as this fall, and certainly before the end of 2007. Expect the crossover, a shoe-size smaller than the FX, to be priced in the mid $30,000 range.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:03 AM
tomiegunzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh. Like the FX better.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 AM
Dragonacc

Looks like Infiniti is going to "M" all their cars like Nissan "Z'ed" all of theirs.

I like it, but auto only makes me cry.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice, rims are terrible
Old 03-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Datona Jess

NICE
It looks like a lowered, longer FX...
I bet it will sell well!

NICE TRUCK
Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 AM
BavariaMotorist

Nissan does have way too many SUVs, but they also already have a cross-over.

What is the purpose?

If anything, Nissan should come out w/ a g35 convertible. That would sell like mad.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
rythex

Aww, it's like a cute small version of the FX
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 AM
chimmike

if Toyota's new truck is profitable, nissan would be RETARDED to not delve into the HD line of pickups. Seriously. a Nissan turbodiesel full size truck? That would be sickness....and it'd sure pull sales from the big 3!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 AM
JimRHIT

not feelin the B9 Tribeca rear end on that thing
Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Dragonacc

Originally Posted by chimmike
if Toyota's new truck is profitable, nissan would be RETARDED to not delve into the HD line of pickups. Seriously. a Nissan turbodiesel full size truck? That would be sickness....and it'd sure pull sales from the big 3!
That would be a little short sighted no? The world is moving away from big vehicles. The Japanese don't need to play the American car maker's game to make a buck. Just my opinion of course.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 AM
longbowe

Somehow I think the name "EX" is going to remind people more of Civics and Accords than Nissans.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Built2shredZ

Looks like a smaller FX...

Crossovers are the hot thing right now and they want a alternative $30k crossover vehicle to the G35... You got the M35 and its crossover alternative the FX35 in the $40k range so adding the EX to the G35 in the $30k range makes sense to me..
Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by Dragonacc
That would be a little short sighted no? The world is moving away from big vehicles. The Japanese don't need to play the American car maker's game to make a buck. Just my opinion of course.
Then doing this would be the Japanese again trying to dictate what the Americans want to buy and who will buy it.

Classic example: Scion xb, Honda element.

Both cars aimed at young people. 80% of owners/purchasers of said vehicles= middle aged+. Honda dealer near me admitted that corporate told them their marketing 'backfired' and the totally wrong crowd bought it compared to who marketed it.

If you look, there's not a big slowdown in big trucks. Ford, GM, and dodge are still selling them well. Secondly, look at the diesel market. They get pretty decent fuel economy for BIG diesel trucks, and as a fuel, Diesel isn't going to disappear for quite a long time due to the different heavy duty long haul vehicles that use it.

You say the world is moving away from it, but Ford has existed the past 10 years from their trucks, and nothing more, basically. So, at least the world that spends money on big trucks, isn't moving away from it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

i like it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
spacemn_spiff

What platform is it based on, FM? Is this competitor to Acura RDX/Honda CRV and based on Nissan Murano?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
What platform is it based on, FM? Is this competitor to Acura RDX/Honda CRV and based on Nissan Murano?
Reading>you:

“The EX Concept’s interior is all about driving pleasure and passenger comfort,” said Igo. “Like the exterior, it offers a coupe-like feel but surprising utility--ideal for today’s active lifestyles.”
Utilizing yet another variation of the advanced Front Midship (FM) platform series, the EX Concept is expected to be a sharp handling vehicle. Riding on a 112.0” wheelbase (slightly tighter than the G Coupe’s 112.2”), Infiniti’s crossover will have a relatively small turning circle and enhanced maneuverability. The rear multi-link suspension has a low shock absorber layout to maximize cargo space in the rear. Wheels and tires also look production ready, with 19” seven-spoke alloys carrying 245/55-19 tires.
Murano/FX are the same
EX is smaller than FX
so the EX is smaller than the Murano
If the Murano competes with the MDX, then the EX competes with the RDX (size-wise), as well as the X3 i would think.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
The_VQ

I like the car, I don't really get Nissan point.

So it is based on the FM platform, just like FX is - so how come there will be much difference in size - IMHO both cars are to similar to them, and EX will definetely hurt sales of FX series - I would choose EX35 over FX35 anytime. Nissan/Infiti has to many cars based on the same platform - G series, FX series, M series, 350Z, new GT-R and now also the EX series. They could probably scrap the FM platform and try to do something on the base of Nissan Rogue - getting a bit smaller car, but also a cheaper one.

Oh, and really like the G series convertible

Why couldn't they sell any FM based car with AWD and manual tranny so I could swap the AWD into the Z? Damn you Nissan
Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I really doubt Nissan is going to scrap their truck line. Small to full size trucks are a huge share of the car market. It took Nissan years to build up their brand recongnition and product line. If anything I think the QX56 might be replaced/removed from the Infiniti line. Nissan already has a successful cross over plateform in the RWD/FWD/AWD FX and Murano.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by The_VQ
I like the car, I don't really get Nissan point.

So it is based on the FM platform, just like FX is - so how come there will be much difference in size - IMHO both cars are to similar to them, and EX will definetely hurt sales of FX series - I would choose EX35 over FX35 anytime. Nissan/Infiti has to many cars based on the same platform - G series, FX series, M series, 350Z, new GT-R and now also the EX series. They could probably scrap the FM platform and try to do something on the base of Nissan Rogue - getting a bit smaller car, but also a cheaper one.

Oh, and really like the G series convertible

Why couldn't they sell any FM based car with AWD and manual tranny so I could swap the AWD into the Z? Damn you Nissan
G35x?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

G37X will come with a manual

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX35