Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Why not bring back the turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Rooftop voter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not bring back the turbos?

Why won't nissan bring back the turbos? It seems that doing that would solve a lot of problems, especially horsepower problems! They could keep the 3.5 and the name 350, make buying from the aftermarket more enjoyable because you'll feel the bang for the buck, and attract a lot more buyers. My main gripe with the 350 is lack of power compared to weight. I wouldn't care so much about it if I could gain a lot more from the aftermarket, but I'm not wanting to spend thousands for small gains. Now, on to the things that I love, which are the styling, ride hieght, interior. I love the Zs interior. Some people think it feels cheap, but I love it. I also love the placement of the shifter, it's right were my hand rests. I also love the vertical door handles. As I said, the only thing I would want out of a new Z is twin turbos, and after that, a wieght reduction. The sound of turbos spooling just makes me feel good for some reason. I love them. Plus, when people hear turbos, they know they're ****ed! Anyhow, just thought I'd post. Take it easy.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM
civic4982

realiability concerns and maintenance concerns.

owning an even moderately powered turbo car requires a more meticulous owner.

adding a turbo adds yet another moving component in which many issues for the turbo itself can come into play, for example the bearings in the turbo itself, more heat in the engine bay, etc.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
TSG-Z

I think price was the main factor in not bring it back.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Rooftop voter

Originally Posted by civic4982
realiability concerns and maintenance concerns.

owning an even moderately powered turbo car requires a more meticulous owner.

adding a turbo adds yet another moving component in which many issues for the turbo itself can come into play, for example the bearings in the turbo itself, more heat in the engine bay, etc.
Well I'm not sure of the reliablity of previous Zs, but there are other cars out there running turbos, and although they may not be the most reliable cars, I don't hear a lot of complaints about the turbos. WRX, WRX STI, EVO, SRT-4, VW jetta, VW bug, previous cars were the eclipse gst, and gsx line, 3000gt vr4 or stealth. Now some of these cars were not known to be the best, but problems with the turbo were rare weren't they? Build the engine a little better, lower compression a little and I think it would be OK. I think with modern technology they could make them a lot more reliable than early on. Plus, reliablity in sports cars has never really been extremely high, look at the camero and mustang. I would be much happier with a 3.5 TT turning out 350 bhp than I would be with a 3.7 turning out 350bhp as long as it wasn't maxed from the factory for some reason, I.E crappy tranny. With the present motor bieng almost maxed out NA at 308 with the 3.5, I would have to assume that at 350 the 3.7 will be close to maxed.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Willie

Because they are why ruined the mid 90's japan sports car.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Rooftop voter

Explain? I would like to know why the Supra, GST, 3000gt, and 300z ruined Japanise sports cars.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Willie

Originally Posted by Rooftop voter
Explain?
The base prices of the cars, supra TT mid 40's, 300ZX TT 40's, 3000gt vr4 mid 40's, rx7 40's. People were less willing to buy these cars when you could get a vett for less, or a porsche for about the same.

They got away from the "affordable" japanese sports car.

Last edited by Willie; 10-08-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Rooftop voter

Originally Posted by Willie
The base prices of the cars, supra TT mid 40's, 300ZX TT 40's, 3000gt vr4 mid 40's, rx7 40's. People were less willing to buy these cars when you could get a vett for less, or a porsche for about the same.

They got away from the "affordable" japanese sports car.
Before I bought my 05 base, I was at a dealership and test drove some upper level automatic model, but they quoted me a little over 40k. I was like no thanks, but it's not like they're not doing it now. I dont know if they over inflated the price or not, because there was no way I wanted something even close to that much, just the point bieng is there charging that much for them now anyway. Yes, for a base that's expensive though, but I don't think it was the turbos that jacked the price up like that, you know. If they were buying the turbo components wholesale I doubt it should really jack up the price more than maybe 2.5k. and supply enough to keep the price down. ( unlike the STI and EVO, at least around here)

Last edited by Rooftop voter; 10-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Willie

Before I bought my 05 base, I was at a dealership and test drove some upper level automatic model, but they quoted me a little over 40k. I was like no thanks, but it's not like they're not doing it now. I dont know if they over inflated the price or not, because there was no way I wanted something even close to that much, just the point bieng is there charging that much for them now anyway.
Thats is 40k with 10+ years of inflation, and you can get in a new z for 27k. (Which has the same power as the 40k Z)
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
civic4982

very true. the mid 90s japanese turbo sports cars were highly priced in comparison to others in the market at the time.

a 1997 dollar is not the same as a 2007 dollar.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Fairly Z

The 90's generation is unbeatable.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Rampant

First, there was no reason for turbos when the NA V6 had enough power for the competition (when it came out). Also, in order to bring the Z back, it had to be cheap enough to make (with substantial parts sharing) and cheap enough to sell (as there was no market for a $40k sports car).

Now that the sports car market is coming back, guess what, the high priced turbo sports car is coming back. Though, it is the big dog GT-R this time.

There is no space for both a turbo Z and a GT-R here. The Z is the cheap alternative to get sports car buyers in a Nissan and hopefully they will move up to the GT-R later. If Nissan were to bring back the turbo Z, it makes the GT-R a more difficult sell (which is why they didn't bring it out here the first time) and less profitable for Nissan.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Rooftop voter

I don't think it's going to be a hard sell for either a GT-R or a Z. A person in the market for a 30-40k sports car isn't gonna look at cars in the 80k range and a person looking for cars in the 80k range isn't gonna look for cars in the 40k. Also, when you get to the 80k range, there is a lot more cars overshadowing the Z, turbos or not. Lotus Exige s, Z06, viper, a few Porsches I think, and probably a few others. I know they won't bring the turbo back, just wishful thinking, but unless the new motor will be mod friendly, I have a feeling this will be my first and last Z.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM
z32 Outlaw Z

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
The 90's generation is unbeatable.
agreed
Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also because of emmission problems. All the cars listed above with turbos such as the evo, sti, srt4, eclipse gst/gsx, they are all nothing without the turbo. IF the 350z was based around the same 3.5 engine with a turbo, the hp would most likely be kinda high which would be considereed a very high performance car which would kill their sales.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Rooftop voter

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
also because of emmission problems. All the cars listed above with turbos such as the evo, sti, srt4, eclipse gst/gsx, they are all nothing without the turbo. IF the 350z was based around the same 3.5 engine with a turbo, the hp would most likely be kinda high which would be considereed a very high performance car which would kill their sales.
Well give them small turbo that kick the power up to 350bhp, with all the emmisions restrictions anyway, it shouldn't be that hard. Then there's room to grow. That's true, they may be nothing without the turbo, but that's niether here nor there because it does come with a turbo stock, and they can be made very fast for not that much comparitively.

Last edited by Rooftop voter; 10-08-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing your love.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Rooftop voter

I'm a nice guy! Usually.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well give them small turbo that kick the power up to 350bhp, with all the emmisions restrictions anyway, it shouldn't be that hard. Then there's room to grow.
Nissan wouldn't just "slap" on a turbo just because of a few enthusiasts wanted it. It would be much better bumping up to a higher liter all motor. They would have to engineer the complete engine over. Not sure if you know how an engine is made, but it takes years of testing as well. Nissan rather want to make sales. I'm surprised they even made the newer HR motors and improved the engine. The 350z isn't an all out performance car which is why it also comes in automatics and whatnot. They made the car a bargain sports car that can be had under 30k so sales would skyrocket.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Fairly Z

I think that Nissan knew what they were doing when they made the Z33. We're all Z enthusiasts, and as Nissan expected, we put turbos on them ourselves and get fanatical results. They've kept the Z loyalty alive, and now it's even better because they don't have to do warranty work after we void our warranties two months after buying them. (Which sucks for us, but what can you do.) Still, though, I would've liked to see the Z with a small forced induction system that raised power to at least 320; that'd be ideal. It would also have been fantastic if the VQ was 'over-engineered' like the VG was, to handle further boost on stock internals, but then again we're looking at a more expensive car. Of course, when you look at it... The 350Z doesn't have Super HICAS, or any other revolutionary technological components.

Quick Reply: Why not bring back the turbos?