Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Had a chat with a Nissan designer today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
unpluggedk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

detroit show not far off,
lets wait and see..(fingers crossed)
Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Granted, it seemed a little odd to me as well that a guy this high up in any division of Nissan would be asking me about availability, but in actuality, he knew very well when they were coming out as well as a host of other information that I'm sure he wouldn't tell me if I tortured him. He simply inquired what OUR current prospects were as far as the possibility of getting any and what OUR procedures were going to be in regard to waiting lists, deposits, mark-ups, etc. So he was really asking questions on a dealer level, since, like any average Joe, he will have to buy one from a dealer as well, just like the guy that actually designed the Titan had to do when he wanted to buy a truck for his father. Very doubtful there will even be special VPP pricing for the likes of him on the GTR, considering he was asking about mark-up as well.

We certainly aren't high volume enough to rate getting many GTRs; we're anticipating that we may get one or two the first year. We just happen to be right in LaJolla's back yard where Nissan Design USA is located, thus their people coming to us, as the most convinient dealer. I can't even count the number of doctors and rich playboys from LaJolla that have called or stopped in to inquire about the car. A guy in a VERY nice Maserati GranTurismo rolled in today as well, with his trophy girl ridning shotgun, to ask about the car. Sadly, we have to turn all of these people away dissapointed, as we know we just won't be able to meet the demand for this car, thus we do not have a wait list, nor are we taking deposits. Some, like the guy in the Maserati today that waltzed in as if he owned the place, left pissed off and fuming, as he was basically told in front of his girl that no matter how much money he had, he couldn't get into any more of a privileged position to acquire the car from us than any other schmoe.
So are you a salesman at the dealer?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Peak350

Yes.
While I don't think you are correct about many things you've said, I certainly hope you aren't.

Nissan will be at a technological advantage to wait 2 years (and improve the new Z more) and release it once many of its competitors have already come through redesign.

I could make an arguement against the 2009 redesign based on the GTR giving extra sales to the Z because it brings people to the dealer and then they drive a Z and fall in love.

The decline in sales appears minimal to me, the bigger concern would be how readily dealers will sell at invoice...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
MustGoFastR

Well, in what you suggest above, that would be a boost in Z sales, then. The two cars are going to be so far appart, though, in terms of price, features and performance that they really will be geared toward completely different target audiences. The majority of people that will be paying top dollar for a GTR likely don't even know the Z exists or wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Also, you have to look at the state of the market. We are going into another era where everyone will be after the ultra fuel efficient vehicles. Cars like the Z and GTR don't fit well in that frugal world of practicality, so holding the Z back for a year or two would not benifit it. It is ready now, so put it out while they can. I have a feeling this next gen Z will be the last as well for quite some time.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 AM
06Gcoupin

Well, in what you suggest above, that would be a boost in Z sales, then. The two cars are going to be so far appart, though, in terms of price, features and performance that they really will be geared toward completely different target audiences. The majority of people that will be paying top dollar for a GTR likely don't even know the Z exists or wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Also, you have to look at the state of the market. We are going into another era where everyone will be after the ultra fuel efficient vehicles. Cars like the Z and GTR don't fit well in that frugal world of practicality, so holding the Z back for a year or two would not benifit it. It is ready now, so put it out while they can. I have a feeling this next gen Z will be the last as well for quite some time.
Those who buy a GT-R, im sure know that the Z is the GT-R's lil sister. I HIGHLY doubt anyone who buys a GT-R ISNT an enthusiast. As cars progress and evolve, they become more efficient and reliable. Both the new 2007 G35 Sedan and the G37 have better MPG. If the rumors are true, the Z will be lighter and have a more efficient motor, achieving better MPG numbers, and will appeal to those who want a sports car but dont want to burn a hole in their pocket for gas money. Nissan has yet to incorporate direct injection into their VQ motors, which allows for better MPG efficiency while also adding more power and response. The GT-R and the Z are completely different beasts, you can buy 2 Z's for the price of 1 GT-R. These cars will NOT be cross-shopped. If the Z is released in 2009, along with the new Murano, the new GT-R, and the new rumored Maxima, it will be a hell of a year for Nissan.

Last edited by 06Gcoupin; 01-11-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
ghoover

Guy does design work for Nissan at the design studio in LaJolla, CA came in and bought a titan for his Dad today (he helped design the Titan and is even pictured in the brochure). I couldn't help but pick his brain a bit...

He confirmed that the shorter wheelbase test mule we have been seeing pics of IS the next Z, to be introduced late next year as a 2009 model (that part (release info.), to the best of his knowledge). First showing of it will be the Detroit auto show, '08. He said as far as appearance goes, it will be a similar in evolution as the '07 to '09 Murano, in that it will still be very much recognizable as a Z. He couldn't give me any info. on engine or performance numbers.

He also mentioned that the '09 Maxima would be a big change and something we would be very happy with. Said they are going more sport oriented with it. He actually said in terms of design, that it would be something akin to a 4 door GTR.

Good things coming from Nissan next year; can't wait!
Well we now have confirmation that at least part of what he told you (re-designed Maxima) is going to be unveiled at New York:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124258

From the article it also sounds like a new Z could be unveiled at that same show, but I'd guess if one is coming this year they'd spread it out and probably show it at one of the European shows.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
black06z

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=100900788

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ex/make=nissan
Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Forever Z

Hmmmm.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 AM
5iVe

Originally Posted by MC
The only concept there will be the Forum

the all new maxima is the show headliner in march at the new york show notice he said no concepts would be there
But If the 370Z was there it wouldn't be considered a concept. It would be a (pre)production model
Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Adhesive

“We’ll show the next Maxima in New York and a couple of other things — but not concepts,” Nissan North America spokesman Darryll Harrison told Inside Line.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
damnhao

still nothing at detroit auto show
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by 06Gcoupin
Those who buy a GT-R, im sure know that the Z is the GT-R's lil sister.
you coulda at least sed little brother...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 AM
06Gcoupin

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
you coulda at least sed little brother...
I thought cars were always referred to as females?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bghoward
This was taken from another post.

Sweet. My GIF lives on...You could at least give me some credit.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
bghoward

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Sweet. My GIF lives on...You could at least give me some credit.
My apologies. Good work BTW.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 AM
Tenac1ousZ

is it just me or do the majority of posts about the Z being a 2011 (or latter) model are from people who've just bought an '07/08 Z?

Looking at the current situation and how often and agressive Nissan is with their car designs and how often updates happen, I think we might see a completely new Z sooner than we think.

From a logical perspective, once the GTR is released in the US early '08, Nissan has the rest of that time and resourse to focus on their next important cars, and the Z is no doubt on top of the list. For all we know, the next Z probably is in its final stages of design.

Give Nissan an entire year, after they've released the GTR in the US, to complete the design process of the Z, begin production, and start advertisements, and you'd arrive in early to mid '09. Say the Z is ready for sales in the summer of '09 (which is more than a year from now), it would no doubt be tagged as a 2010 model year. So a 2010 model Z, released mid '09, makes sense.

Speed and design is everything in the business of making cars. A year is a long time, and Nissan can't affort to wait longer for an aging design and still be competive. But judging from Nissan's past since Carlos Ghosn became CEO, they are fast and aggressive with the design of their product. And if the past and the present is an indication of the future, we will see the next Z pretty soon.

Last edited by Tenac1ousZ; 01-22-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:33 AM
stepuckey

^ +1
Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Hmm but I am one that just bought a 07 but I have owned about 10+ Nissans in the past 10 years. Latest ones were a 04 and 05 G35. And sorry but the Z isn't coming out till 2010 as a 2011 model. Again straight from the horses mouth.

Originally Posted by Tenac1ousZ
is it just me or do the majority of posts about the Z being a 2011 (or latter) model are from people who've just bought an '07/08 Z?

Looking at the current situation and how often and agressive Nissan is with their car designs and how often updates happen, I think we might see a completely new Z sooner than we think.

From a logical perspective, once the GTR is released in the US early '08, Nissan has the rest of that time and resourse to focus on their next important cars, and the Z is no doubt on top of the list. For all we know, the next Z probably is in its final stages of design.

Give Nissan an entire year, after they've released the GTR in the US, to complete the design process of the Z, begin production, and start advertisements, and you'd arrive in early to mid '09. Say the Z is ready for sales in the summer of '09 (which is more than a year from now), it would no doubt be tagged as a 2010 model year. So a 2010 model Z, released mid '09, makes sense.

Speed and design is everything in the business of making cars. A year is a long time, and Nissan can't affort to wait longer for an aging design and still be competive. But judging from Nissan's past since Carlos Ghosn became CEO, they are fast and aggressive with the design of their product. And if the past and the present is an indication of the future, we will see the next Z pretty soon.

Quick Reply: Had a chat with a Nissan designer today...