Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Edmunds.com 370Z dedicated review space...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
in.the.dark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds.com 370Z dedicated review space...

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/370z/review.html

The site is blank and doesn't mean anything, but I thought it interesting that this directory was set up in anticipation for something...

I also think it's funny to watch some of the guys here get so crazy tearing each other down on the next generation Z. Those of us looking at the evidence see whats coming and when. I don't have any insider information, but I have an education in business and let me tell you what I see.

Operations Perspective: Nissan has been migrating all of their cars to newer platforms one at a time. Looking at the current lineup, guess which one is the only left for the upgrade? That means Nissan is dedicating numerous resources to building two platforms instead of one. They will be looking to switch to a common platform as soon as possible. This is overly simplified, but I thought it best not to discuss all of the aspects of efficiency associated with operations management.

Marketing Perspective: From a marketing perspective, there is no time like the present. Soon after the release of the GT-R in the States, the new Z should emerge to ride on the tails of the flagship model. This is a marketing perspective even marketing majors can understand. Nissan would do well to hedge their bets that people will "settle for the Z" when they look at their bank account and don't have the funds for the GT-R because at least they will be able to brag to people in Internet forums that they are on the winning team. Anybody who thinks that the Z and GT-R would be cross shopped is what we call in the world of business an idiot. The price, performance and exclusivity are enough, not to mention the intended audience from the start has been different.

Competition Perspective: Okay, I know this still falls under "Marketing," but Nissan knows that the old 'Lady won't be able to stand the barrage of cars coming down the pipe from other manufacturers. They will need to have some excitement in the stable to prevent their piece of the pie from purchasing anything from a Hyundai "Tiburon" (the new one), Mazda RX-8 or as Nissan hopes, a BMW Z4 or Porsche Boxster/Cayman (really, any Sub 40K sports coupe). Nissan can only afford to keep the 350Z on as long as there is almost no competition in the market. It is going to be very hard to sell a next gen Z to the people who went shopping before it came out and are already locked into payments.

Engineering Perspective: Considering the performance cars with which Nissan was testing the mule with, plus the fact that the chassis did look considerably shorter, it is at this point a more supported and educated opinion that the car will be lighter and have a larger, more powerful engine. The later of which is obvious, but often debated over. The engine will most likely be the VQ. People wanting an NA VR likely don't understand that the cost associated with putting a hand built engine with exotic materials and parts into the Z would price it out of it's target audiences reach. The engine offered will most likely be pretty much the same as is found in the G37/Skyline Coupe for simple reasons. First, it's already in production and the easiest to implement since no additional parts are needed. I'm reluctant to simply say it'll be a 3.7L engine because throwing a different crank in is fairly simple and Nissan already has the production capability to do so. However I will concede that the 3.7L is the most probable choice. Remember Carlos Goshen said that the GT-R had to be profitable or Nissan would give it the ax. This man is very bottom line conscious and I wouldn't be surprised if he vetoed special parts for the next Z over what was necessary for separating it as a different car than the G37/Skyline.

This should nullify anyone thinking that Nissan would want to hang on to a legacy (read: old) platform longer than they have to, so look for a new Z on sale in 2009. It could be as early as late 2008. Nissan can't afford to wait.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM
drivenCSZ

edmunds knows no more than us....probably much less

your post is well thought out, though most of your points are already givens. Besides, arguing the about a car no one really knows anything about is generally pointless
Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

i like edmunds but they do get new car notice slower then other sites out there
Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
edmunds knows no more than us....probably much less

your post is well thought out, though most of your points are already givens. Besides, arguing the about a car no one really knows anything about is generally pointless
I wholeheartedly agree that the site doesn't indicate any inside information and is probably just a placeholder. It's not difficult to change the name of a folder should the production car be something different. Thank you for saying that my post was well thought out. I posted it kind of hastily and was hoping it would come together and make some sense. I know they are givens, but a lot of posters on this site still have their head... uh, in the clouds, calling for an NA GT-R motor and bickering about a car that, as you also point out, no one really knows anything about. I just wanted to highlight and build a case for some of the more likely and plausible specifications so people can stop waisting our time with wild and baseless claims.
Originally Posted by myZter
i like edmunds but they do get new car notice slower then other sites out there
Edmunds.com's Insideline is run by Scott Oldham, former editor of Sport Compact Car. A few of the contributors are also from that puplication. Their approach has to be more responsible and thus conservative due to their being more of a consumer report type of site. No doubt you will likely see it on Autoblog.com first.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM
CnixZ06

We should know in a couple days, The Detroit Auto Show is a great place to reveal the car and I believe they will.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Adhesive

After reading alot about the 350Z. I think we will see a new model for 09. Shorter, with the new VQ engine. This car follows the G35 platform. G37 coupe is now released. Although i question if the G35 and G37 is on the same platform (Infiniti claims its different), i would figure they would want the 350Z on the new chassis along with sharing the engine with the G37 strictly due to reducing costs.

Last edited by Adhesive; 01-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
typespirit

i do not think we will see it in the detroit auto show
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
xDIEGOx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When is the Detroit Auto Show?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
ufraag

Originally Posted by xDIEGOx
When is the Detroit Auto Show?
Detroit Auto Show - January 19
New York Auto Show - March 19
It's led to believe that its more likely to be shown at New York than Detroit.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:40 AM
in.the.dark

For those of you talking about the Detroit auto show (really called the North American International Auto Show or NAIAS), please stop. It's been going on for the past couple days already. Nissan already said that they will not be making any announcements at the NAIAS and haven't. See below article from Edmunds.com:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee — Nissan is not even planning to hold a press conference at next week's 2008 Detroit Auto Show. Instead, it is saving all of its firepower for the 2008 New York Auto Show, where it plans to unveil a completely redesigned 2009 Maxima, a Nissan spokesman confirmed on Thursday.

"We'll show the next Maxima in New York and a couple of other things — but not concepts," Nissan North America spokesman Darryll Harrison told Inside Line. Harrison described the '09 Maxima as "all new" but would not divulge any other details. He also added that Nissan will have a fairly low profile at February's 2008 Chicago Auto Show. Media days at the 2008 New York Auto Show kick off on March 19.

The current Maxima was last redesigned in 2004. It is considered one of Nissan's most historic vehicles and was known originally as the Datsun 810. It was rechristened "Maxima" in 1982.

The 2008 Detroit Auto Show will be the setting for the worldwide debut of the Nissan Forum "exploratory design concept," basically a postmodern take on the minivan. It features trackless sliding side doors and a cabin with a swiveling second-row seat.
If you want hope, look for one of the "couple other things" to be a near production Z. As a much larger seller, Nissan would be wise to push the Maxima as their premier release at New York.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 01-15-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
ufraag

Are they gonna say that the new Z is going to be at an auto show before it happens or will they just unveil it on show day?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:10 PM
scmtkings4

i believe ill be going to the auto show in NY. Lets see what happens
Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 AM
KManZ
Banned

There hasn't been a whimper from Nissan in any respects concerning the new Z. We learned about the new GTR a year or two ahead of it's release, and thats Nissan's 'flagship' model. If they suddenly dropped the new Z without building it up, it'll fly under the radar.

No new Z by the end of 08. Maybe by the end of 09.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Like many have said, since the Z was not AT THE AUTOSHOW in 2008, it will not be a 2009 model. We have 3-4 more months before they normally release 2009 models. And no word on it. That would not be normal. 2011 is the model year for the new Z and it will be out in 2010. Damn noobs.

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/370z/review.html

The site is blank and doesn't mean anything, but I thought it interesting that this directory was set up in anticipation for something...

I also think it's funny to watch some of the guys here get so crazy tearing each other down on the next generation Z. Those of us looking at the evidence see whats coming and when. I don't have any insider information, but I have an education in business and let me tell you what I see.

Operations Perspective: Nissan has been migrating all of their cars to newer platforms one at a time. Looking at the current lineup, guess which one is the only left for the upgrade? That means Nissan is dedicating numerous resources to building two platforms instead of one. They will be looking to switch to a common platform as soon as possible. This is overly simplified, but I thought it best not to discuss all of the aspects of efficiency associated with operations management.

Marketing Perspective: From a marketing perspective, there is no time like the present. Soon after the release of the GT-R in the States, the new Z should emerge to ride on the tails of the flagship model. This is a marketing perspective even marketing majors can understand. Nissan would do well to hedge their bets that people will "settle for the Z" when they look at their bank account and don't have the funds for the GT-R because at least they will be able to brag to people in Internet forums that they are on the winning team. Anybody who thinks that the Z and GT-R would be cross shopped is what we call in the world of business an idiot. The price, performance and exclusivity are enough, not to mention the intended audience from the start has been different.

Competition Perspective: Okay, I know this still falls under "Marketing," but Nissan knows that the old 'Lady won't be able to stand the barrage of cars coming down the pipe from other manufacturers. They will need to have some excitement in the stable to prevent their piece of the pie from purchasing anything from a Hyundai "Tiburon" (the new one), Mazda RX-8 or as Nissan hopes, a BMW Z4 or Porsche Boxster/Cayman (really, any Sub 40K sports coupe). Nissan can only afford to keep the 350Z on as long as there is almost no competition in the market. It is going to be very hard to sell a next gen Z to the people who went shopping before it came out and are already locked into payments.

Engineering Perspective: Considering the performance cars with which Nissan was testing the mule with, plus the fact that the chassis did look considerably shorter, it is at this point a more supported and educated opinion that the car will be lighter and have a larger, more powerful engine. The later of which is obvious, but often debated over. The engine will most likely be the VQ. People wanting an NA VR likely don't understand that the cost associated with putting a hand built engine with exotic materials and parts into the Z would price it out of it's target audiences reach. The engine offered will most likely be pretty much the same as is found in the G37/Skyline Coupe for simple reasons. First, it's already in production and the easiest to implement since no additional parts are needed. I'm reluctant to simply say it'll be a 3.7L engine because throwing a different crank in is fairly simple and Nissan already has the production capability to do so. However I will concede that the 3.7L is the most probable choice. Remember Carlos Goshen said that the GT-R had to be profitable or Nissan would give it the ax. This man is very bottom line conscious and I wouldn't be surprised if he vetoed special parts for the next Z over what was necessary for separating it as a different car than the G37/Skyline.

This should nullify anyone thinking that Nissan would want to hang on to a legacy (read: old) platform longer than they have to, so look for a new Z on sale in 2009. It could be as early as late 2008. Nissan can't afford to wait.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Like many have said, since the Z was not AT THE AUTOSHOW in 2008, it will not be a 2009 model. We have 3-4 more months before they normally release 2009 models. And no word on it. That would not be normal. 2011 is the model year for the new Z and it will be out in 2010. Damn noobs.
First, I'm not a 'noob' to the auto industry, nor to using deductive reasoning and I'm the one who pointed out that it wasn't at the NAIAS as well.

Second, there are more than one major autoshow. The G37 was debuted at NY last year and not a whole lot was leaked prior, and Nissan has been becoming more and more tight-lipped. We still have many more major auto shows where 2009s will be shown. Nissan doesn't need some flashy concept to take the car to the next generation. The Skyline/G37 was premiered at the beginning of last year with a release at the end of year. No prior hooplah or major reveal. It was, "Here is the next G series Coupe, it'll be on sale at the end of the year." and that was all Nissan really did. The release of the Z should be much of the same affair. "Here is the next Z, it'll be on sale at the end of the year."

Third, all you did was come in and say we haven't seen or heard anything yet, but that doesn't indicate a 2011 release, nor a 2010 or 2012 release. You offer nothing to support your claims, which are far more baseless and uninformed than mine.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 01-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by KManZ
There hasn't been a whimper from Nissan in any respects concerning the new Z. We learned about the new GTR a year or two ahead of it's release, and thats Nissan's 'flagship' model. If they suddenly dropped the new Z without building it up, it'll fly under the radar.

No new Z by the end of 08. Maybe by the end of 09.
There doesn't need to be a concept for the Z like there was for the GT-R. The two are completely different scenarios. There is no chasis or powertrain to be developed, only modifications to an existing platform. It is not a new product introduction, but a product lifecycle mandated update. There is a secure and known market of potential buyers. This is the easiest kind of development process. Please do not use this for the basis of any further arguments, as it is misinformed.

Last edited by in.the.dark; 01-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
vaughn1576

Second, there are more than one major autoshow. The G37 was debuted at NY last year and not a whole lot was leaked prior, and Nissan has been becoming more and more tight-lipped. We still have many more major auto shows where 2009s will be shown. Nissan doesn't need some flashy concept to take the car to the next generation. The Skyline/G37 was premiered at the beginning of last year with a release at the end of year. No prior hooplah or major reveal. It was, "Here is the next G series Coupe, it'll be on sale at the end of the year." and that was all Nissan really did. The release of the Z should be much of the same affair. "Here is the next Z, it'll be on sale at the end of the year."
Infiniti did have a concept for the G37 in 06.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/detroit-...-next-g35.html
Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

My claim is from my direct contact at Nissan Offices in DFW. And the Z will not come out till 2011 model year as a 2010. It has been said many times on this site but you are a noob and haven't done your research.

First, I'm not a 'noob' to the auto industry, nor to using deductive reasoning and I'm the one who pointed out that it wasn't at the NAIAS as well.

Third, all you did was come in and say we haven't seen or heard anything yet, but that doesn't indicate a 2011 release, nor a 2010 or 2012 release. You offer nothing to support your claims, which are far more baseless and uninformed than mine.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by vaughn1576
Infiniti did have a concept for the G37 in 06.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/detroit-...-next-g35.html
Exactly.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sick burn.

and who here thinks the Op did exactly the same as he was complaining about in the first place? (I do)

Quick Reply: Edmunds.com 370Z dedicated review space...