Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Will the 370Z be offered with auto trans only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Me want manual
Old 07-10-2008, 12:22 AM
racerfreakxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt the new z will not come in manual

those auto trannies are a pretty price. The gtr has one cuz it's a supercar (ferrari/ lambo) and it was designed towards rich guys ho just want to go fast in a straight line or run a track on the weekends.

a z is more sports enthusiast and is designed towards racing plus your a ***** if you don't want a clutch (no offense to those who can't drive a clutch due to kneww or other problems)

Last edited by racerfreakxxx; 07-10-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by racerfreakxxx
....plus your a ***** if you don't want a clutch....
+1
Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 AM
xDIEGOx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by norapat01
I think it would be good for Nissan to do it and I can see it coming. More people drive auto compared to manual. So if the next gen Z is only offer in auto only then it would appeal to a broader range of potential customer while also cut down the complication in manufacturing process. I'm not saying that auto car is easier to make than manual car, but it just that Nissan will only have to work with just one type of transmission.

Also, I don't mind a paddle shifter....it's easy and convenient. Hell, even Lambo will stop making manual car, so why not Nissan?

Plain and simple, if the new Z comes only in auto. Then my plans for that car are out the door. Call me old fashion but I like to rip through the gears. Fukc clicking some puzzy paddles. Leave that to Exotics and F1 cars.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Endgame

Dont worry!!! Nissan will offer the clutch.... Simmer down...

I still want an twin clutch tranny however.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reasons for 6MT
  • I have a shlong
  • I don't want to fall asleep behind the wheel
  • it's fun to drive

I don't see the difference in speed to be big enough to warrant the purchase of an auto trans.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by bender
Reasons for 6MT
  • I have a shlong
  • I don't want to fall asleep behind the wheel
  • it's fun to drive

I don't see the difference in speed to be big enough to warrant the purchase of an auto trans.
The first one is hearsay, but I'll take your word for it. I'm male and have only ever owned traditional manuals, but the dual clutch is very appealing to me. I apprecieate it's added performance and it's ability to take over during REALLY bad traffic (most traffic is no big deal). You can turn it to auto or keep it in don't-tell-me-what-to-do mode. They're going to be alot easier on the passenger's neck as well.

The second point is pretty invalid as well. Most poeple fall asleep on long, empty straights on the highway at night. If you're doing a bunch of shifting during that time, you're not doing it right.

The third point is probably the best and only valid one, but it's not the biggest case at this point and is subjective. The real issue at hand is the ability to upgrade these new transmissions is very limited right now. I gaurantee if you wanted to build a traditional transmission to handle ridiculous torque levels, you could. Not so much with the dual-clutches.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM
bender

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
The first one is hearsay, but I'll take your word for it. I'm male and have only ever owned traditional manuals, but the dual clutch is very appealing to me. I apprecieate it's added performance and it's ability to take over during REALLY bad traffic (most traffic is no big deal). You can turn it to auto or keep it in don't-tell-me-what-to-do mode. They're going to be alot easier on the passenger's neck as well.
It's was a joke and I don't know why you'd even bother arguing it. Thanks for arguing my point with passenger comfort though. It was a huge factor of mine when I bought a 2-seater sports car with limited space.

The second point is pretty invalid as well. Most poeple fall asleep on long, empty straights on the highway at night. If you're doing a bunch of shifting during that time, you're not doing it right.
I meant it's BORING. I don't even know how someone can take a comment so literally that it LITERALLY made me laugh.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
in.the.dark

It's was a joke
So was the part about it being hearsay.
and I don't know why you'd even bother arguing it. Thanks for arguing my point with passenger comfort though. It was a huge factor of mine when I bought a 2-seater sports car with limited space.
Oh, I totally agree, but I like to drive my car, and that sometimes means bringing someone along. And you did admittingly buy a TWO-SEATER . I don't want to roll up to the vallet to have my passenger stepping out of the car holding her neck and slightly pissed off. Not that I shift so terribly; I'll slip the clutch more with passengers.
I meant it's BORING. I don't even know how someone can take a comment so literally that it LITERALLY made me laugh.
I'll agree that the clutch and traditional shift action is more entertaining and possibly more engaging. But that's a matter of opinion and some people don't find it as much fun as you and I, but more of a hassle and pain in the *** in just light traffic. Priorities are application specific.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
JunkStory

It's was a joke and I don't know why you'd even bother arguing it. Thanks for arguing my point with passenger comfort though. It was a huge factor of mine when I bought a 2-seater sports car with limited space.

its funny how when someone gets defeated in a discussion.. the loser would usually say things like "oh it was just a joke.. i can't believe you took it so seriously.. you make me laugh". etc.

Sorry.. I just find it funny

Last edited by JunkStory; 07-10-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
bender

Originally Posted by JunkStory
its funny how when someone gets defeated in a discussion.. the loser would usually say things like "oh it was just a joke.. i can't believe you took it so seriously.. you make me laugh". etc.

Yes, my comment about being a man was lighthearted. It's been the joke since the beginning of the auto trans.

And arguing passengers neck comfort is defeating me in discussion... For one, if your passengers neck is constantly snapping back and forth while you drive, you can't drive stick in the first place. Two, the 350z isn't a passenger friendly car to begin with.

Again, taking my comment about "falling asleep behind the wheel" and getting into a lengthy discussion about actually falling asleep behind the wheel was laughable. It's boring. I don't want to twiddle my thumbs in between mashing the gas and stepping on the brakes.

The new Z isn't going to put down enough power to the point where Nissan will think its only beneficial to only having an auto option. It's also a way too popular car to go auto only.

Last edited by bender; 07-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Musto

Yes, my comment about being a man was lighthearted. It's been the joke since the beginning of the auto trans.

The new Z isn't going to put down enough power to the point where Nissan will think its only beneficial to only having an auto option. It's also a way too popular car to go auto only.

thats what im sayin. its not like its a ethonal funny car. they need to stay focused on fun to drive affordable sports cars, not 90,000 auto only junk.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by JunkStory

Thats why ya have to use a big honking smiley. Straight to the point ... No mistake...

As some people dont recognize Sarcasm or its nephew Joke
Old 07-11-2008, 04:38 AM
in.the.dark

And arguing passengers neck comfort is defeating me in discussion... For one, if your passengers neck is constantly snapping back and forth while you drive, you can't drive stick in the first place. Two, the 350z isn't a passenger friendly car to begin with.

Again, taking my comment about "falling asleep behind the wheel" and getting into a lengthy discussion about actually falling asleep behind the wheel was laughable. It's boring. I don't want to twiddle my thumbs in between mashing the gas and stepping on the brakes.

Okay, so let me get this straight, you made some jokes, then I made some jokes with a point or two in the response and you thought I was being too literal, then I told you I also was joking and that you were taking my response too literal, then someone else takes your response, which again said that my response was too literal, and was too literal in his response.

That about sum it up?

The thing to take away from the discussion of the dual clutch vs manual is what your priority is with regards to a lot of factors. If you plan to heavily upgrade, you may want to stick with a traditional manual. If you are planning on staying naturally aspirated and aren't building a race engine, consider the dual clutch. Of course if you prefer rowing the gears vs clicking them off, go traditional and if you prefer the ability to click them off and the option to put it in auto on occasion, go with the dual clutch. Depending on what kind of weekend racing, it could go one way or the other.

This all hinges on there actually being both offered. I've only ever owned traditional manuals and will have to take a lot into consideration because I'm open to the idea of the dual clutch and willing to re-examine my priorities.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM
GodSendsDeath

7sp AT would be something id test drive lol...not sure if Id go for it with out driving both.

Owning my 350z has been a blast, but sometimes I got sick of shifting and I hated the clutch sometimes. I dunno I will have to wait and see.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
7sp AT would be something id test drive lol...not sure if Id go for it with out driving both.

Owning my 350z has been a blast, but sometimes I got sick of shifting and I hated the clutch sometimes. I dunno I will have to wait and see.
Too bad Nissan doesn't have a 7 speed dual clutch...

Guess we can still hope they bring something similar to the 6 speed dual clutch in the GTR.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM
GodSendsDeath

Too bad Nissan doesn't have a 7 speed dual clutch...

Guess we can still hope they bring something similar to the 6 speed dual clutch in the GTR.

I meant the 7speed regular automatic that they will offer with 09 g37 in europe.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM
in.the.dark

I meant the 7speed regular automatic that they will offer with 09 g37 in europe.
Ah, gotcha. The dual clutches are more efficient than the torque converter automatics due to slippage. The auto shifting modes of the dual clutches are awesome. You should check them out. Last one I drove I loved it, but I didn't have to live with it, so I don't know if I'd miss the traditional clutch after a while.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 AM
GodSendsDeath

Ah, gotcha. The dual clutches are more efficient than the torque converter automatics due to slippage. The auto shifting modes of the dual clutches are awesome. You should check them out. Last one I drove I loved it, but I didn't have to live with it, so I don't know if I'd miss the traditional clutch after a while.

lol I just got a beater jetta 01 and its auto...got a admit getting kind of lazy and a automatic be nice, I think id be happy with just paddle shifters and a cough cough turbo by GTM lol..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Faboo

lol I just got a beater jetta 01 and its auto...got a admit getting kind of lazy and a automatic be nice, I think id be happy with just paddle shifters and a cough cough turbo by GTM lol..
Imaging ur racing some guy and its dead even.... u see him snapping off his shifts moving around in his seat using both feet and hands...and there u are stomping the gas only and using a finger or two to upshift..... ur either way

Quick Reply: Will the 370Z be offered with auto trans only?