Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Will the 370Z be offered with auto trans only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
triso07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So not all manual fans are ego maniacs
I completely agree.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an excellent article on stick vs. DSG transmissions in the current issue of "evo" magazine, where the author presents a very valid point; driving as fast as possible isn't always as important as driving as "fun" as possible. He even uses GT-R as one of the examples of his extreme disappointment over the worldwide automakers' decision to thrust DSGs down our throats.

"True" manuals have a way of creating one single organism out of man and machine; they are ultimate automotive symbol of unification and connect us to our cars in a way DSG manuals never can. The author of the article says that he will take a fun car over a fast car any day.

And I agree. Wholeheartedly.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Endgame

Originally Posted by Faboo
yea...that will be a good day....when its traditional manuals..and automated manuals only....no more torque converter auto's
Hey... A guy can wish can't he.....
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
robertinmesa

You're comparing a STREET car to a Formula 1 car.
Not really; I am used an extreme example of a high performance vehicle that successfully employs auto trannys. It was the first extreme example that came to mind. I thought it illustrated my point.

There are many high performance vehicles that dont have manual trannys anymore.

It was just an example, not an exclusive comparison. It may not be peoples preference(i prefer standard) for driving pleassure. All i wanted to show is that it does not necessarily mean FAIL.

Last edited by robertinmesa; 07-24-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 AM
in.the.dark

I think more often the case is that people cannot discern the difference between some of these transmissions due to a lack of technical knowledge of how they work and some even are offended at the use of the word automatic. I want to take a second to distinguish the three.

"Traditional automatics" use a torque converter. The sometimes can use of a device, such as the gear lever or paddles on the steering column or steering wheel that let you tell the computer when to shift but there is still a torque converter, which is less efficient at transferring the power due to the internal slippage that can occur. Newer automatics, with far more gears are actually fairly nice for those that don't need direct control over rpms and don't hamper acceleration nearly as much as those four speeds we dealt with for so long.

"Traditional manuals" use a single clutch, shift lever, clutch pedal and all the hydraulics needed to lift the clutch plate from the flywheel, change the gear and then reengage the clutch. These are superior for their simplicity, serviceability, high torque capacity (though the dual clutches are catching up), and just being very engaging due to requiring you to manually choose the gears. Some find them a bit of a hassle in bumper to bumper to slow traffic or in extremely hilly areas. I live in Houston and travel as little as possible during heavy traffic hours.

"Automatic manuals," "DSGs", and "Dual Clutch" transmissions are all referring to essentially the same things: a transmission that works using clutches flicking back and forth sequentially through the gears as either the user or computer tells it when to shift. There is no clutch pedal as the driver does not directly disengage/reengage the clutches like in a traditional manual. These transmissions are a marvel of modern engineering and are superior in their ability to provide the best of both worlds with almost none of the drawbacks of either. The dual clutch transmission is more efficient than a true automatic because it doesn't use a torque converter while still allowing for the driver to leave the shifting up to the computer. The shift times are far reduced from that of a traditional manual, allowing for faster lap-times and just about the same level of control over rpms. The disadvantage is that they are slightly heavier than traditional manuals, and they don't have a long history so aren't as proven in long term street use and serviceability. Some don't find them as engaging as traditional manuals due to not having to tap-dance around in the cabin to scoot down the road.

Your individual priorities are what should drive you to choose what is best for you. One is not better than the other and from the sound of it, the choices are going to be a seven speed traditional automatic or a six speed manual, though there's not conclusive evidence of that other than the status quo line up.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Endgame

Would'nt it be really interesting if the speculated cost (35k)/weight (3010) of the 370 were really the cost/weight including a DCT....

I know, I am dreaming again....

^I was already aware of the differences in transmissions, but that was a good explanation ITD.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM
chinolatte

if the 370Z has a DCT, I doubt it will go down in weight vs the 350
Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM
chinolatte

oh and the rumors that the car will cost 35k+ would make more sense that way too
Old 07-25-2008, 07:47 AM
in.the.dark

The biggest hole in the dual-clutch-being-offered-in-the-370 theory is that Nissan doesn't have an engine mounted transmission, RWD dual clutch in production. Unless they are working very hard to get one out, I'd imagine they'll do the cost effective thing and just offer the traditional manual and traditional auto found on the other FM platform cars.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
DoctaC

I've never driven a dual clutch before... but as long as you can keep it in a 'real' manual mode, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I say this meaning it doesn't have some protection like on other 'tiptronics' I've seen that shifts to the next gear if you rev to high, etc.. If a DSG is a raw, clutchless manual that lets you turn to auto at times, I don't see the problem with it. You're still controlling what gear your in, just no 3rd pedal.

I personally love my 6 speed, but if dual clutch is faster AND still lets you control what gear you're in accurately... why not, right?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Endgame

Which autos automatically upshift you? I know for a fact that the RX8 ATs (6 speed) will let you stay in one gear up to the redline then plus some as I have driven them...

The ONLY downside is the torque converter to my knowledge; not to mention the full engagement experience MTs offer. Then again, I do not know the Nissan ATs very well.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoctaC
I've never driven a dual clutch before... but as long as you can keep it in a 'real' manual mode, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I say this meaning it doesn't have some protection like on other 'tiptronics' I've seen that shifts to the next gear if you rev to high, etc.. If a DSG is a raw, clutchless manual that lets you turn to auto at times, I don't see the problem with it. You're still controlling what gear your in, just no 3rd pedal.

I personally love my 6 speed, but if dual clutch is faster AND still lets you control what gear you're in accurately... why not, right?
The 5AT in current Z's never shift up for you either. They only downshift to prevent the engine from stalling
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
robertinmesa

I like performance enhancing features.

Last edited by robertinmesa; 07-25-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:08 AM
aznguy370z

As far as i can tell the 370z gets the 7 speed auto that the new fx has. The 2009 nissan service and maintenance guide says the 370z auto transmission fluid is maintenance free like the fx.

There is the possibility that the track model won't come out until 2010 model year and would offer a dual clutch or not.

Too bad because the cayman is going to get a dual clutch, which nissan uses as a benchmark.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Endgame

EXACTLY aznguy. That is why I think that Nissan will soon offer a dual clutch; the Z's natural competitors both have them (Audi TT Cayman). Nice job looking at the service and maintenance guide!!

Maybe Nissan will do like BMW and not drop the DCT until a year or two out...
Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Dear Sonicspeed: Just keep browsing through these threads/posts, & you'll see the H-U-G-E difference in reliability. MTs are clunky, to say the least, in our Zeds! ATs have a perfect reliability record
throughout the line-up (all models AND years!).
So, all you're expressing in your post is your opinion, while I'm talking
f-a-c-t-s, my friend!!! On the fact that you don't mind freeway jams/city tra-
ffic, "the exception doesn't make a rule". 99% of drivers DO MIND driving in
those conditions with an MT. Sowy!!!

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 07-26-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Zmazing03

Originally Posted by robertinmesa
+1

I like performance enhancing features.
Agree on that. If it is a 7 spd auto with sport mode or whatever, that will be fine. I will not pass up on the car because I cannot get a MT. I definitely prefer an MT, always have, but if the 370Z is going to be the machine they say it is, I think I can cope.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usmanasif
There is an excellent article on stick vs. DSG transmissions in the current issue of "evo" magazine, where the author presents a very valid point; driving as fast as possible isn't always as important as driving as "fun" as possible. He even uses GT-R as one of the examples of his extreme disappointment over the worldwide automakers' decision to thrust DSGs down our throats.

"True" manuals have a way of creating one single organism out of man and machine; they are ultimate automotive symbol of unification and connect us to our cars in a way DSG manuals never can. The author of the article says that he will take a fun car over a fast car any day.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by usmanasif

Agreed..

Also Imo no matter the arguement... A MT will keep the driver more alert. Rowing thru the gears with hands and feet, will curb drowzyness or boredom more so than any AT or DSG tranny.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Endgame

LOL! That comment just testifies to the fact that more and more people these days are bad drivers!!!!

Quick Reply: Will the 370Z be offered with auto trans only?