Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Will the 370Z be offered with auto trans only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another AT thread turned to crap by the narrow-minded MT crowd. way to go
Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Greg06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Endgame
LOL! That comment just testifies to the fact that more and more people these days are bad drivers!!!!
Duh... Why do you think I made it?

Bad driver + Cell phone + Automatic + Long drive =

Many drivers need all the help they can get...Seriously

Last edited by Greg06; 07-27-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by Z04
Im not against a DSG tranny and will get one if offered on whatever car Im getting.

But get real man.. How do ya think all of these AT/MT threads end up?

You post is a bit funny tho... Seeing as the OP/thread starter is a MT fan..

Originally Posted by Fordmandan
I understand the pros and cons of both types of transmissions, but
I'm a fan of manual transmissions in performance cars. While I'm sure the dual clutch auto trans in the GT-R is really great, I'd be disappointed if they didn't offer a 6 speed manual in the 370Z.

What do you guys think Nissan will do? Remember, they only offer an Automatic in their flagship sports car (GT-R) and now the 370Z may receive that transmission too. Will they scrap the manual trans in the new Z?

-dan
And by your reply to that post..

Originally Posted by Z04
who cares. it is a Z. get over it
It didnt sound like you gave a darn about this thread in any event. Just an observation nothing personal...

Last edited by Greg06; 07-27-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
WL350Z

here we go again, please anybody can closed this treads do it now before get worse.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by WL350Z
here we go again, please anybody can closed this treads do it now before get worse.
No worries nothing is starting up... And yes all tranny threads should banned.. As nothing ever comes of them.

This tread has gone its course in any event..

Did you read thru the entire thread by anychance? Anyone can see exactly which posters werent discussing anything... But "only" making negative comments toward other posters...
Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Shift__Z

To the ignorant that said an auto is faster...take an auto and a MT on a circuit and see how well they do against each other. Even if the Auto is faster in a straight line I dont see it winning on a circuit.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Endgame

I think an Auto Clutch would beat a MT on the circut, but certainly not a tradional AT....
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by robertinmesa
Not really; I am used an extreme example of a high performance vehicle that successfully employs auto trannys. It was the first extreme example that came to mind. I thought it illustrated my point.

There are many high performance vehicles that dont have manual trannys anymore.

It was just an example, not an exclusive comparison. It may not be peoples preference(i prefer standard) for driving pleassure. All i wanted to show is that it does not necessarily mean FAIL.
"FAIL" in the aspect you take away the right of a choice/option for someone who's about to spend 30k.

I don't think anyone was arguing that traditional manuals are better performers than high tech autos.

If performance is all that matters to you, a DSG-like tranny is a great option.

If you're a thrill seeker and don't mind sacraficing a little bit of performance for more fun, the type of tranny is pretty obvious.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference & priorities. There is no wrong or right choice...as long as they give us a choice. As of me, there's no way I'd give up some fun for performance.

That was all my point.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
yacoub

Originally Posted by Z04
It's okay, there are many more people who would love to see the DSG-style transmission offered than those who don't. Nissan knows in this day and age it would be suicide to offer it with only a manual trans, so they will definitely offer it with some sort of clutch-pedal-less transmission, be it a slushbox like in the 350z, or a DSG.
What skater calls "fun" most people call a chore. This includes WRC, F1, and just about every other auto racing medium, including the highest ranks at the drag strip whether domestic or import. None of the above use a clutch pedal anymore, it's archaic and only introduces a potential point of error and proven point of slowness. But there will always be some people who like doing things the hard way, and they will cop an elitist attitude about it in order to make themselves feel good about being outmoded.

Last edited by yacoub; 08-08-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
JunkStory

I think the 370Z will come with the 7-speed auto tranny in the G37.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, this thread is basically going down the sh!tter. I got an idea, why don't we all just waite till the 370Z actually comes out and stop arguing over a car that doesn't even exist yet. There isn't a single person on here that knows a thing about what nissan is actully planning for the new Z, well except for one person....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
daryl.blas

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
To the ignorant that said an auto is faster...take an auto and a MT on a circuit and see how well they do against each other. Even if the Auto is faster in a straight line I dont see it winning on a circuit.
Not completely true. Dual-Clutches always over perform manual clutches. For example The Evo X finished 2nd after the GT-R, and Before the Z06, 911 T, STi, and Viper...

Don't get me wrong I'm a clutch-enthusiast. But, it's way quicker then anyone could possibly shift. Trust me.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by daryl.blas
Not completely true. Dual-Clutches always over perform manual clutches. For example The Evo X finished 2nd after the GT-R, and Before the Z06, 911 T, STi, and Viper...

Don't get me wrong I'm a clutch-enthusiast. But, it's way quicker then anyone could possibly shift. Trust me.
This is just ANOTHER example of technology overcoming human prowess. We have seen this happen all throughout history, and there are always those who stubbornly cling to what they still believe reality to be.

Technology always seems to win out...
Old 08-09-2008, 09:26 AM
daryl.blas

This is just ANOTHER example of technology overcoming human prowess. We have seen this happen all throughout history, and there are always those who stubbornly cling to what they still believe reality to be.

Technology always seems to win out...

Technology.. the best and worst of us isn't it?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:35 AM
daryl.blas

Haha.. I just realized that I threw myself into the burning bush. I honestly didn't know the dabate was this heated. Oh-brother. Whatever...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:03 PM
zsport1

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
wow, this thread is basically going down the sh!tter. I got an idea, why don't we all just waite till the 370Z actually comes out and stop arguing over a car that doesn't even exist yet. There isn't a single person on here that knows a thing about what nissan is actully planning for the new Z, well except for one person....
Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Shift__Z

Originally Posted by daryl.blas

No i was referring to a regular AT not dual clutch
Like you take an auto z and six speed out on the circuit with the same driver the six speed would be quicker
Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 PM
THe Emperor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
No i was referring to a regular AT not dual clutch
Like you take an auto z and six speed out on the circuit with the same driver the six speed would be quicker
I'm gonna have to disagree. People seem to forget the Z has tiptronic and the slushbox 5AT shifts in about 250-300ms right in the range of Porsche's tiptronic transmissions. Plus downshifts are just as quick and the computer automatically revmatches too. I think it would be very close and could go either way.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Endgame

Then, aside from the feel of fun, what is the major advantage of the MT vs. AT (non dual clutch)?

What would be the advantage of Nissan going to a DCT if the AT 'comes close'?

Someone help me out...please??
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
aznguy370z

Then, aside from the feel of fun, what is the major advantage of the MT vs. AT (non dual clutch)?

What would be the advantage of Nissan going to a DCT if the AT 'comes close'?

Someone help me out...please??
The dual clutch doesn't lose hp like an automatic with a torque converter. The dual clutch shifts gears faster than auto with torque converter. Even the auto in the is-f can't shift as fast a dc. Don't worry the 370z most likely will not offer a dc.

Quick Reply: Will the 370Z be offered with auto trans only?