Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

If Porsche Really Is the Benchmark..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 PM
ztussy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche do have their technique with building car...Although they might not be as fast as the Nissan, but they sure know how to build a car. especially handling!!! the 350z is not even close to Cayman S. I have driven the GT-R ,the 997 turbo, and the Cayman S. I would say the GT-R is a superior car, but it's lack of spirit.... the turbo get nothing special I would say, just tones of horsepower and the Cayman 's handling is superior, get the right power, perfect balancing. It get handling and soul...
350z is a bargain under the 30k range, but it's lack of some handling, get over steer too easy I would say, and it doesn't have that safe feeling when you are cornering near to the limit... Cayman do give you confidence when you are cornering
I dont know about the 370z, but cayman s is the best handling car I have ever driven...
If I get to choice the car, Cayman would be first then maybe 370z or GT-R then 997.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
vnarang

Originally Posted by zed-er

One potential conflict: The 400Z might be nearly as fast as the GT-R for a lot less money. Can anyone compare potential performance figures?

BC
I lol'd.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:04 AM
xDIEGOx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One potential conflict: The 400Z might be nearly as fast as the GT-R for a lot less money. Can anyone compare potential performance figures?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 AM
CaliTouring

Originally Posted by ztussy
Porsche do have their technique with building car...Although they might not be as fast as the Nissan, but they sure know how to build a car. especially handling!!! the 350z is not even close to Cayman S. I have driven the GT-R ,the 997 turbo, and the Cayman S. I would say the GT-R is a superior car, but it's lack of spirit.... the turbo get nothing special I would say, just tones of horsepower and the Cayman 's handling is superior, get the right power, perfect balancing. It get handling and soul...
350z is a bargain under the 30k range, but it's lack of some handling, get over steer too easy I would say, and it doesn't have that safe feeling when you are cornering near to the limit... Cayman do give you confidence when you are cornering
I dont know about the 370z, but cayman s is the best handling car I have ever driven...
If I get to choice the car, Cayman would be first then maybe 370z or GT-R then 997.
wtf are you talkin about?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:05 AM
dennisafrompa

Originally Posted by m3inaz
You are trying to compare apples to oranges. Sorry but it in almost every way including the customer care, Porsche is far superior. They are on a higher level when it comes to everything. Why do you think GT cars are mostly built off Porsche's?

When you walk into Porsche with bad syncro's they will probably suck you off and give you a loaner and get it done while wearing white gloves.

Nissan will have you make an appointment. THen you will get there and wait 30minutes to be served, then another 20 for the guy to come do a test drive. the nasty technician will get in your car and ruin your ****ing detail by putting his boots all over, then he will say "oh, thats normal, cause these cars make ****ing retarded noises..." Then you either have to ram your first into someones face to get your point across, or leave.

I really don't see why Nissan even needs to compete with Porsche in any market, they obviously ****ed up with their first "supercar". You also kind of have to understand just how good everything is built on a Porsche..Although the Z is built well, when do you think nissan will start offering the ferro carbon brakes? HUH!?
Really?? Ask owners and former owners like me, how Porsche handles their intermediate shaft failures on the water cooled flat sixes?? How they defend the product in the face of an underdesign problem.

Look, the Boxster and Cayman are probably the best all around sports cars available BUT when you have 2 total engine failues out of three cars...you gotta wonder. I'm now content with my '08 350 Z.

Ask around in the Pcar world about these IMS failures and Porsche's "service",
don't get me started.

Me in happier times with the 986.
Attached Thumbnails If Porsche Really Is the Benchmark..........-100_0376.jpg  
Old 10-24-2008, 04:28 AM
SnakeBitten

Id like them to keep the 6cyl instead of V8 as well just for the heritage. They have already made a 400hp NA racing version of the VQ. Im sure they could eventually have a 400hp V6 in a street Z. If they put that motor in a Z and keep the weight at 3000lbs or there about there would be no need for a V8 Z. A Z like that would compete with the V8 M3, any NA Porsche and pretty anything from Japan save the GTR....

Hell a small boutique marque like TVR has been making 400+hp 6cyl engines for about a decade now. So not only Porsche is capable of getting 400+ out of a 6cyl. Different engine configurations I know[inline 6/boxer respectively] but Nissan clearly has the technical knowhow to accomplish this but I believe they are going to spread out the power increases for years until they hit 400hp...My humble laymans opinion.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Chromex319

^ I agree... I don't think Nissan wants to use up all their tricks on a single hand. Take a look around at the echelons of car manufacturers. It seems to me that when a certain class of vehicle ups the ante, other companies follow suit. Its typical. Take a look a look at the fat mustang which solidified the retro look into the American main stream and how other manufactures followed the move. IMO companies may have this sort of quiet agreement to not out shine eachother too quickly or too brash. The GT-R is Nissan's way to compete with Chevy's vette and similar vehicle market. It would be unwise for the Z to be too comparatively similar to skyline. Possibly making the Z the prefered choice over GT-R.

Just my .03 cents.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

If they put a V8 in the Z sadly they would lose the Z crowd and the Z would lose it's heritage. The Z always had a 6, and will always have a 6 of some type. V8s are for muscle cars that want TQ. Put some Turbos on the Z and it will kill them while getting good gas mileage.

The person who designs the Z is a smart person and knows what is important. Glad you aren't involved.

......then Porsche have left Nissan a strategic opening, which Nissan should exploit.

Consider: Nissan used the 911 Turbo as the yardstick for the GT-R, and the Cayman S for the 370Z. So why stop at mere emulation?

It is widely accepted in Porsche circles that Porsche Ing will never allow the Cayman S to be as fast or faster than the beloved 911. This leaves open a chance for Nissan to truly distinguish the 370Z from the Cayman S ...... by installing the V8. Can you say 400Z?

Porsche will never slap a turbo on the Cayman S, and certainly wouldn't even consider adding a V8 to the lineup. Just think what a monster the Cayman S would be with the V8 from the Cayenne S bolted in. Whew! But it'll never happen. This is a gift to Nissan.

The 370Z with a V8 in it (400Z?) would be a rocket ship, leaving the Cayman S (and likely the 911, too) gasping for air.

If only someone from Nissan's Marketing Dept. was listening.

How many of us would pony up another $10K for the V8?

Comments?

BC
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
If they put a V8 in the Z sadly they would lose the Z crowd and the Z would lose it's heritage. The Z always had a 6, and will always have a 6 of some type. V8s are for muscle cars that want TQ. Put some Turbos on the Z and it will kill them while getting good gas mileage.

The person who designs the Z is a smart person and knows what is important. Glad you aren't involved.

The only thing I can counter you on is the M3. EVERYONE said if BMW put the 8 in the M3 they would loose their loyal customers, it would loose its heritage, etc.

Well, that did not happen as much as they thought.... The same inidividuals that were complianing are probally driving E92 M3s. While I am not saying that would happen with the Z, it is just a thought. I, for one would not purchase a 8 cylinder Z. I would probally go the Z06 route if I wanted an 8.

This is a good thread!! Interesting to hear the view of these current/past Porsche owners!!! I think we will find the 370Z will completely obliterate the Cayman on the road course. The NISMO Z is very close to it already in that respect and some here have stated the NISMO Z has bested the Cayman. Can't remember if it was the Cayman S, however... I think it was...

Good thread! Keep the comments coming!!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Sunset350ZR

Solo why so negative man? I, like you, believe the Z will always be a 6, but simply to keep its heritage on that fact. As for torque being for muscle cars, nothing adds tq across a powerband like twins. Like someone stated earlier, Nissan will ratchet up power as necessary to be a poor man's Porsche and to stay ahead of its direct competition. Stock for stock the Z has perormed well in its price bracket. If you want proof, look at the current C and D. The 06 350Z still has the fastest time around VIR for its price point.

Now everyone is stepping up their game and the Z needs a makeover or better stated a touch up. Until the car actually comes out we should reserve opinion on whether its as visually appealing as the current beautiful Z. On the other hand her product cycle has reached far enough. Nissan will try to stay a step or two in front of its direct competition. They will also be an alternative to higher priced cars. Many and I include myself in that will make a judgement call whether they belive the extra one or two tenths of performance is worth 20 grand. If your economics is teetering between the two levels, I bet most will be more than happy with 8/10s.

The simple cost of the car may do more to shape what the Z is anyway. The economics of fuel and an environment of eco green thought will direct the future of the Z and all its competitors anyway.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 AM
OWTKAST cpt

Personally i wouldnt imagine a V8 in the platform. It just seems odd. Then again if they did it i am sure it would be a monster of a car.

I was tossed between a boxster and a 350z.. after reading and hearing first hand stories of the boxster 100k lifespan motors the Z was it hands down....
Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 AM
PA 19103

I agree with others, I don't see Nissan putting a V8 in a Z. If anything, a turbo, but doubtful.

911 Turbo is a yardstick and GT-R has already matched it or exceeded it. How will Porsche respond to the GT-R Spec-V?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by PA 19103
I agree with others, I don't see Nissan putting a V8 in a Z. If anything, a turbo, but doubtful.

911 Turbo is a yardstick and GT-R has already matched it or exceeded it. How will Porsche respond to the GT-R Spec-V?
They won't...
Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Endgame
The only thing I can counter you on is the M3. EVERYONE said if BMW put the 8 in the M3 they would loose their loyal customers, it would loose its heritage, etc.

Well, that did not happen as much as they thought.... The same inidividuals that were complianing are probally driving E92 M3s. While I am not saying that would happen with the Z, it is just a thought. I, for one would not purchase a 8 cylinder Z. I would probally go the Z06 route if I wanted an 8.

This is a good thread!! Interesting to hear the view of these current/past Porsche owners!!! I think we will find the 370Z will completely obliterate the Cayman on the road course. The NISMO Z is very close to it already in that respect and some here have stated the NISMO Z has bested the Cayman. Can't remember if it was the Cayman S, however... I think it was...

Good thread! Keep the comments coming!!
Look at the Audi S4. They went to a V8, lost customers, and now going back to a V6 Twin Turbo.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:23 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Nothing negative at all. I am more into keeping the Z's heritage alive and not try to make it something it isn't.

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
Solo why so negative man? I, like you, believe the Z will always be a 6, but simply to keep its heritage on that fact. As for torque being for muscle cars, nothing adds tq across a powerband like twins. Like someone stated earlier, Nissan will ratchet up power as necessary to be a poor man's Porsche and to stay ahead of its direct competition. Stock for stock the Z has perormed well in its price bracket. If you want proof, look at the current C and D. The 06 350Z still has the fastest time around VIR for its price point.

Now everyone is stepping up their game and the Z needs a makeover or better stated a touch up. Until the car actually comes out we should reserve opinion on whether its as visually appealing as the current beautiful Z. On the other hand her product cycle has reached far enough. Nissan will try to stay a step or two in front of its direct competition. They will also be an alternative to higher priced cars. Many and I include myself in that will make a judgement call whether they belive the extra one or two tenths of performance is worth 20 grand. If your economics is teetering between the two levels, I bet most will be more than happy with 8/10s.

The simple cost of the car may do more to shape what the Z is anyway. The economics of fuel and an environment of eco green thought will direct the future of the Z and all its competitors anyway.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
pacfwu

I don't understand why everyone keeps clamoring for more hp. "Ooh, I want 400 hp out of a v-6", "I think it'd be better if they went with a v-8". HP doesn't mean anything without proper gearing. Look at the Mustang GT's. They have more HP and a lot more torque than a 350z, but (especially the HR powered) Z's will hand a mustang it's ***, stock vs stock. Why? Cuz Ford can't gear a mustang worth a damn. If your 330-350hp 370Z isn't quick enough for you, swap the FD.

Acceleration is performance. Peak HP number are just for bragging.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM
zsport1

One thing is for certain. A Turbo Z or a V8 Z will not happen the first year of the 370.
This is an OLD arguement, but don't hold your breath for a V8 Z cause you will pass out before it ever happens. Turbos? Who knows. One day, maybe. But that would definitely push the price over $40K.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no V8, I'm sure they will boost it, hopefully soon!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Look at the Audi S4. They went to a V8, lost customers, and now going back to a V6 Twin Turbo.
touché
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
HDPDZO6

Yet Nissan had developed a V8 for use in its race series 350Z's...

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 10-24-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: If Porsche Really Is the Benchmark..........