Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Nissan 370Z around the Nordschleife?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 PM
SnakeBitten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
^ I agree, but (unfortunately) it will take a lot to lose weight on the 370Z. They've already done the easy stuff, like lighter wheels, aluminum hood, doors and hatch, etc. Even the Touring's power seats are only 4 way power... Nissan really tried (but failed) to keep it light. They're coming out with some porkers, a la G37.

There aren't really any easy (cheap) ways to lose weight from here. Sure, sound deadening and other assorted small items/techno features. But that's it.

From a financial point of view, it would cost very little to retune the ECU and improve the intake/exhaust to make 18 more HP for a total fo 350HP. Add in the DCT tranny, and you're in the game... albeit 300 pounds heavier. And thank goodness, those Americans look at straight line acceleration numbers more than lap times (they do love themselves some magazine racing), and it would be competitive with the CS PDK in that dept. But that's about the only way you're going to compete financially.
I think this would be the most likely outcome as this is still an entry level, affordable sportscar. Im just a bit miffed that they failed so badly on two fronts that they pretty much boasted about. Weight and beating the Cayman S. To be fair on the latter they did benchmark the old Cayman S. Porsche has to be smiling lol.

As for the 300lb heavier part they could just put lightweight racing seats, a titanium exhaust, lightweight battery and still not kill the consumer pricewise while dropping the Nismo significantly under 3200lbs. I dont want to see anything else removed as then its less of a streetcar especially compared to the Cayman S with all the features etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by Mansmind
Oh I agree completely. It's a totally different animal in the balance and weight department. My only point is that if they "happened" to be close, it's relatively easy to improve handling on the Z substantially. I'm not a Porsche guy (although I'd like to be) so I don't know how easy it can be for those guys...or at what cost.
Gotcha. As for the mods it aint cheap but for that comparatively lightweight car it wont take much to keep it on top on a roadcourse against a Z. Slapping mods on one car negates the equation unless you are going to slap similar mods on the other car. You know the outcome in that senario would not be in favor of the Z. Straightline I think the Z has much more options and probably would be the highway king between the two, power mod for power mod.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Z is a very good handling car dont get me wrong but that Cayman S package is superior. Im hoping the Nismo Z equals or betters it but I dont know how serious Nissan is anymore after seeing the specs on the 370z.
honestly... keeping the mods on the same level the CS is going to be faster.. period. just the layout is designed to go fast on a track. even if nissan comes out with a nismo that is on the same level of a GT3 as factory mods (and I doubt that, because I guess they'll need all new approvals for modified parts) is going to be unfair...

but that is I guess enough for bench racing... both the 350/370 and the CS have enough power to weight, chassis and potential to "outperform" 99.9% of the actual owners that for the average joe doesn't really matter except for his ego.

the average joe, assuming that he use the right mods, the right tires, all the right stuff... probably can gain 3 to 4 second on a 2 minutes road course doing all of them... when he still has 7 or 8 second to shave learning how to drive and not to cruise on a track.

average people can gain or lose a full second or more on a drag strip where the only difficult part is actually to start and to shift 2 times... think what happens when you have to think about the line, where and how to brake, steer, keep the car under control, carry the most momentum through a corner and shift several times on the same lap.