Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Up close and personal with the 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 PM
ctzn
inquisative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up close and personal with the 370Z

I just returned from the "Follow the Z" event down in San Jose at Z Car Garage, where the car was unveiled for a handful of people who made it out.

First off, everyone from Z Car Garage was a real pleasure to meet, very nice and genuine people that made the whole event very welcoming.

On to the car...

Let me preface all my comments by saying that, for some unknown reason, they brought the two (imo) least attractive colors possible. Though they did look much better in person than in pictures, bringing a black and silver or red would have been a MUCH wiser decision.

Ok so the car is much better looking person, very attractive stance and proportions. All of the flaws look like they would be easy fixes (ride height, front/rear, wheels etc...) and the foundation of the car, the shape, the essence is just fabulous.

Sitting in the car gave me warm fuzzy feeling on the inside. It just felt right. Though I will say it lacked the raw presence that the 350 did when I first sat in that car (and I like the 350's interior design, just not the materials). The 370 is driver focused on the inside and very comfortable, I am 6'3" and I fit like a glove. My only grip is the shift ****. It feels a little tall and cumbersome, also it is not the most attractive piece of the interior. Again though, an easy fix.

Overall I really liked the car, I will spare the long drawn out review and post pics. A few other cars were there so they may have gotten in some of the shots

to get you in the right mood

for when you're in a hurry I guess

Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Z is going to kick everbody's ***.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM
zman1910

Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

I can't help but feel sad for one thing about the car. I'm not a fan of blue colored vehicles in general but I was actually looking forward to perhaps owning a daytona blue 370z. Then this smurf-ish looking color came about. It's really just sad to be frank. One of the worst colors IMO. I'm sure it's interesting in person but I could never drive around in that color.

I will say that I absolutely love the presence of the vehicle from the rear. Wide and aggressive.....350 can't touch it
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM
ctzn
inquisative

Originally Posted by zman1910
Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

I can't help but feel sad for one thing about the car. I'm not a fan of blue colored vehicles in general but I was actually looking forward to perhaps owning a daytona blue 370z. Then this smurf-ish looking color came about. It's really just sad to be frank. One of the worst colors IMO. I'm sure it's interesting in person but I could never drive around in that color.

I will say that I absolutely love the presence of the vehicle from the rear. Wide and aggressive.....350 can't touch it
Yeah it is odd for sure, next to the yellow they looked like a couple of skittles.

I will say that as the sun went down the blue really started to shine. I would not buy either color, but they weren't as bad as I thought they would be.

The car definitely has some hips on it, and the good kind
Old 11-21-2008, 07:21 PM
darklocust
Banned

That faint shot of yellow looks like an old fridge. Nice shots, must be a DSLR.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Niz

the GT-R is sick.....

nice Z too, love that blue
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
zsport1

Very cool. I'm looking forward to December 1st in Houston.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
ctzn
inquisative

Originally Posted by darklocust
That faint shot of yellow looks like an old fridge. Nice shots, must be a DSLR.
yeah I slightly desaturated that one just to kill the brightness of the yellow...

the camera is a Canon EOS Rebel xt slr with the kit lens, I thought it did a nice job.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 PM
ctzn
inquisative

Originally Posted by zsport1
Very cool. I'm looking forward to December 1st in Houston.
Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure, and you will not be disappointed!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno about the blue... Looks slightly teh ghey
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful photos.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM
quiksilver38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blue looks yucky and so does that 1970's yellow color
Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
whoady4shoady

Thank you CTZN for this wonderful contribution.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM
lww

And here are my thoughts... I think the 370Z is going to be a resounding success in spite of the current economic market.

After going over the new Z in close detail over the last two days I've spent with it, I can say, the vast majority of "cosmetic" issues people have complained about can be easily and cheaply addressed by the individual owners.

Sorry, no, I'm not going to tell you how well it does on the dyno...

For the rest of the car, here are some of my observations:

1. The car is lighter than a similarly equipped 350Z. Yes, the '03 base model was lighter, but there are only two model's of 370Z. Base and Touring. The base being closest to what an Enthusiast model would be in a 350Z in which case the 370Z is lighter.

2. The car is cheaper than a similarly equipped 350Z. Yes, it's more than the original 2003 base model 350Z, but again, with similar options, it's several hundred cheaper.

3. The 370Z makes more HP with 332.

4. The 370Z is shorter in the rear, reminiscent of the original 240Z, if you're into that, you'll like some of the styling cues.

5. The 370Z is wider making it "potentially" a better handling car than the 350Z.

6. The 370Z has a lower center of gravity than the 350Z adding to the hypothesis that it will ultimately handle better than the 350Z.

7. The 370Z comes with rolled fenders from the factory and can easily accommodate tires about 2.5" WIDER on the stock wheels. With 275's on the factory 10" rear wheels, you're looking at the possibility of getting 335's on there without having to modify ANYTHING.

8. The sport package gets you the "synchro rev match" in the manual transmission. For anyone who isn't a hard core road racer, this is especially useful. Those of us that enjoy the option of doing our rev matching through "old fashioned" heel and toe will resent this option, but the 99.99% of people who can't heel and toe to begin with will most likely love it!

[edit]Apparently, the "synchro rev match" can be turned off. I certainly couldn't find the "off" button, but then, I didn't look either! [/edit]

9. After all this, the 370Z get's better fuel economy. Yeah, maybe it's not such a big deal with gas prices back down to the mid $2 range for premium, but every bit counts.

10. A Base model with the "Sport Package" is going to be the starting point for a killer street/track car.

11. Absolutely get the factory rear wing. The "hump" on the rear deck lid of the cars without the wing is truly a travesty that is difficult to reconcile. Fortunately, the factory rear wing that comes in the "Sport Package" resolves most of this problem. I can see some people fitting the G35/7 rear wing onto this car with some ingenious modifications...

Please feel free to comment...

Last edited by lww; 11-21-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 PM
ART_

Does standard CD player plays MP3?!?!?! I WANNA KNOW!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Zstealth

Overall i like the new interior but not really feeling the new look.

btw saw a red gtr not sure if your a member here but dude common i was on a ppw Z and you think i was trying to race you?you gotta be kidding me Z vs GTR? ehh your the first dude that was on a GTR that was trying to show off and ****.just my 2 cents
Old 11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
chriskabobbers

i dont know why but everytime i see the 370 i think of a Chrysler crossfire
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by lww
And here are my thoughts... I think the 370Z is going to be a resounding success in spite of the current economic market.

After going over the new Z in close detail over the last two days I've spent with it, I can say, the vast majority of "cosmetic" issues people have complained about can be easily and cheaply addressed by the individual owners.

1. The car is lighter than a similarly equipped 350Z. Yes, the '03 base model was lighter, but there are only two model's of 370Z. Base and Touring. The base being closest to what an Enthusiast model would be in a 350Z in which case the 370Z is lighter.

2. The car is cheaper than a similarly equipped 350Z. Yes, it's more than the original 2003 base model 350Z, but again, with similar options, it's several hundred cheaper.

4. The 370Z is shorter in the rear, reminiscent of the original 240Z, if you're into that, you'll like some of the styling cues.

5. The 370Z is wider making it "potentially" a better handling car than the 350Z.

6. The 370Z has a lower center of gravity than the 350Z adding to the hypothesis that it will ultimately handle better than the 350Z.

7. The 370Z comes with rolled fenders from the factory and can easily accommodate tires about 2.5" WIDER on the stock wheels. With 275's on the factory 10" rear wheels, you're looking at the possibility of getting 335's on there without having to modify ANYTHING.

8. The sport package gets you the "synchro rev match" in the manual transmission. For anyone who isn't a hard core road racer, this is especially useful. Those of us that enjoy the option of doing our rev matching through "old fashioned" heel and toe will resent this option, but the 99.99% of people who can't heel and toe to begin with will most likely love it!

[edit]Apparently, the "synchro rev match" can be turned off. I certainly couldn't find the "off" button, but then, I didn't look either! [/edit]

9. After all this, the 370Z get's better fuel economy. Yeah, maybe it's not such a big deal with gas prices back down to the mid $2 range for premium, but every bit counts.

10. A Base model with the "Sport Package" is going to be the starting point for a killer street/track car.

11. Absolutely get the factory rear wing. The "hump" on the rear deck lid of the cars without the wing is truly a travesty that is difficult to reconcile. Fortunately, the factory rear wing that comes in the "Sport Package" resolves most of this problem. I can see some people fitting the G35/7 rear wing onto this car with some ingenious modifications...

Wow...That 335 is going to be overkill for the stock power but it will make the car looks stunningly aggressive. The FI guys will love this especially. Havent seen anyone mention the rolled fenders from th efactory yet. Thanks for the insight....Im loving this car more everytime. Moddding is officially over for my 350z now....
Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ART_
Does standard CD player plays MP3?!?!?! I WANNA KNOW!
Yes, according to Nissan.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:33 AM
WShade

Originally Posted by lww

S-Mode button turns it on and off.

Quick Reply: Up close and personal with the 370Z