Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Car & Driver reviews production 370Z, now weighs a lot more than expected

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone needs to calm down unless anyone else wants
Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM
rtiid22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my ****ing god! Everyone stfu! Why is everyone arguing about which Z is faster in a straight line? Zs are track cars! Not dragster! End of story. I guarantee all of you that the new 370z would out maneuver and ultimately be a few seconds faster in any track you take it to. It grips better, brakes better and is within a couple hundred pounds from the 350.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
I bet you are 16 and have an ungratifyingly small *****..

Nonetheless you have probably never been to a real road course in your life. Just talking from your experience from Forza 2..

Go delete your life.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
SergEK

This is funny to read

People say Nissan didnt deliver with this car but look at the stats and they kept on with the promises

Lighter, smaller, faster

Equipped similarly the new Z is about 95lbs lighter

Its 2.2" shorter overall while being more than 4" shorter in wheelbase with all of that coming from the rear axle moving forward...

Its also wider by 2"s in the rear with massive room in the rear for 315-325s

Nobody has mentioned that the new car is SAFER than the Z33...much of the weight gain from the original design of this car is standard safety features which were optional on the Z33....side curtain airbags to begin with...that weight has varied in publications but some have said as much as 200lbs was directly linked to increased federal safety standards

So configured in "track" mode aka base + sport package this Z is indeed leaner and a better performer in every sense including ROAD SAFETY

I know few of us consider that part but if we are going to blame anyone blame the feds for the added weight which kept us from a 3100lb Z with 332hp....as its stands take a look at the reviews of the 2003 Z (noisy, harsh, crappy interior, low power) and the new Z....Keep in mind they have basically kept the price point and added a bunch of upgrades over the 2003 Z33

Along the way the Z33 got better and thats a testament to Nissan NA going from almost bankrupt to having quite a few products people want.....

I have an 06 RevUp track model Z and after my visit to the dealership today I can safely say I am satisfied with the improvements they made for the interior....the dealership I went to didnt have a base + sport to drive so I just took a look inside a fresh Z34 touring (complete with transport plastic) and while the center console cupholder is a little odd it looks like they listened to our gripes over the years.

The elbow rests on the left side are faux suede instead of that rubberized plastic coating that gets scratched and knicked ...the shifter feels like better leather and the trunk looks much more usable with the strut tower brace moved forward and out of the way...

Anyway....we will all start to see the differences with just how much potential is in this motor as more and more people push it....as it stands its gonna be quicker than the DE'RevUps/HRs....which I think by now traps have indicated 101-102/103-105/104-107 by end users on real tracks....with more power I would expect at least 107 in cool air and maybe even just a little better....but roll races will show the differences much better and I cant wait to see a few 40-60-80 roll ons on vid

The facts are out there and the 370 is indeed lighter, smaller and faster..... 0.97 -.99g alone turns the car into something special that too many people seem to be overlooking....throw some larger R compound tires on this thing and see what happens...

Oh...I do hope they add the oil/diff/power steering coolers to the sport package even if they bump the price....factory installed FTW!

I am still undecided on the styling but I do like the tribute to the 240Z....the GTR A pillar is nice....boomerang lights...no comment lol
Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

^^ sadly you are wrong with the rest of the 370z nuthuggars. The car is heavier than the previous 350z same model.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

BTW!, the GT-R was "2008 Car of the Year" for Automobile Magazine! S-w-e-e-t!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do we know it is safer? Has it been crash tested yet?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 AM
300zx1985

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
BTW!, the GT-R was "2008 Car of the Year" for Automobile Magazine! S-w-e-e-t!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
nicknick

Originally Posted by Hella
haha......owned is owning a 2 yr old car and having it be known as the old z.
Could the children that seem to hanging around this forum please go.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
leg killa

funny *** hell when you dudes argue..LOL!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Originally Posted by ninous26
Back to what I was saying...... The 370Z will eat up a 350 HR..

his and herz you are a straight up DUMB ***! You're acting as if 16-20 hp is nothing? LMFAO! Thats a giant difference... Lets not forget to mention like you said, shorter gearing...
Originally Posted by ninous26
Shut up, you're ****ing stupid.

What does age have to do with anything, really? You want to guess my age? How about I tell you? Which would you like? Seems like the only thing you can come back at me with is this "age" thing... Good one smart ***!

Wow, chill MR. Big shots.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
scrapser

So I was at the supermarket last weekend and happened upon an issue of Car and Driver with the 370 on the cover. I picked it up to look at the article and just as I did, I guy came walking by and on the spur of the moment I said, "Excuse me...what do you think of this car? What's your very first impression?"

He looked at me, then at the magazine for a moment and said, "The headlights look weird."

I said, "Thanks...just doing a gut check."
Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Nissan has. 300zx TT vs 350z. TT killed the 350z in power and speed. The HR 350z was the only one that was dead even with a TT.

370z is not faster than a 350z HR. That would be a drivers race.

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
^+1

Nevertheless, 370Z will surely perform better than the 350 both in stock form. Who the fck would build a newer version of a car that's slower than its predecessor? Let's not be quick to judge and later put ourselves into shame. We still have yet to see the real deal - 370z vs 350z at the race circuit!

Adding weight doesn't always mean it lowers the car's performance.
Just to make my point clearer: GTR is a lot heavier than the Porsche GT2 and has 50hp less power but it was able to hang with the mighty GT2.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM
blasian

I'll be waiting for someone to run high 12s in the 370Z.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
All reviews are different.. The only way Ill know how the car feels.. is when I drive it myself... I dont really pay attention to reviews as I said there all different. The pictures are nice though!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
norapat01

lol, damn we got some serious arguments here in this thread. I could careless about the weight, Z's are not suppose to be a lightweight sport car anyway. If you looking for a lightweight sport car, get a lotus, miata, s2000, etc. The interior of the 370z alone is enough to justify the purchase.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
scrapser

I think the size question is a bit of an illusion on paper. The 370 has a wider and higher backend and a wider and higher front end. It's also wider overall than the 350. The only thing that's smaller is the length by a few inches. Weight will vary depending on options and such, so that is really 6 of one/half dozen of the other.

Interior is better construction but you can't drive the car inside out to show it off and cover up all the exterior boondoggles so where does that leave you?

My opinion:

If you have a 350...keep it.
If you don't, buy a 350 before they are all sold...they will be a better deal; if you're out of luck there, buy the 370 as you will have no choice.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
semtex

I, for one, don't mind a few extra pounds if it's due to additional safety equipment. I just purchased a 370Z Touring this past Friday. I didn't trade in my '06 350Z -- it was totaled in November. I got hit at 70mph turning left through an intersection. I fractured my left hand in two places (one of them being a chunk of my middle finger knuckle actually cracking off). Bruising all over my chest. Had to be taken to the hospital strapped down to a backboard with a brace around my neck. Both airbags deployed, the frame was all twisted. The car did its job and took the majority of the impact energy so that I could live to see another day. The bones in my hand have healed but I still have pain. But it could have been so much worse.

The point I'm trying to make is this. I've read through this entire thread. Everyone is all about the performance aspect of weight. Don't get me wrong, performance is important -- it's why I drive a Z. But at the end of the day, our cars are just that -- they're cars. They're machines. They're inanimate objects that can be replaced, unlike our lives. And when a dark green minivan comes at me at 70mph because the driver didn't turn his headlights on and I couldn't see him, I'll take all the additional safety equipment I can get, even at the expense of extra pounds. The extra performance gained by losing 200 lbs. from the weight of the car isn't going to do me any good if I'm dead.
Attached Thumbnails Car & Driver reviews production 370Z, now weighs a lot more than expected-old350z_1.jpg   Car & Driver reviews production 370Z, now weighs a lot more than expected-old350z_2.jpg   Car & Driver reviews production 370Z, now weighs a lot more than expected-new370z_1.jpg   Car & Driver reviews production 370Z, now weighs a lot more than expected-new370z_2.jpg  

Last edited by semtex; 01-13-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
scrapser

Ouch! So what was the angle of impact on your Z? From the pics it looks like he hit your right front corner. The other car looks like it suffered much more damage than your Z.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
semtex

Originally Posted by scrapser
Ouch! So what was the angle of impact on your Z? From the pics it looks like he hit your right front corner. The other car looks like it suffered much more damage than your Z.
Yep, it was the front right corner. I'm not 100% sure. He may have hit right smack into the front wheel, because it's all damaged behind the wheel as well. But yeah, the majority of the damage is in front of the wheel.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver reviews production 370Z, now weighs a lot more than expected