Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Head-to-head pics: 05 350Z vs 370Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be alot of noobs and racer boys in this thread!! Hmmmm
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by CHICAGO Z
Thanks for the pics, I will NOT be trading in my 07.
Me too. The pics did it for me. There is another thread like this one that has an 06 Z next to the 370 and to be honest the car does'nt do it for me. Tomorrow I have an appt to test drive a black one. I think I'll go just for ***** and giggles. But, I'm keeping my 07 and going with the GTM TT kit.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by Endgame
I am on the other side. I thought the 350 needed a few tweaks, but the 370 is perfect right from the factory. If I was not so mod happy all the time, I would be just fine where it is!
If you like a car that looks like a catfish with a big assshole. But the Z33 looks like a true sports car not a car built for teenie boopers.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by Atag012
if anyone here says the 350 looks nicer than the 370 it just proves that you an ignorant little bithc
Wow this is coming from someone that has 42 post.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by halfass872
Seems to be alot of noobs and racer boys in this thread!! Hmmmm
Yep you sure hit that one.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
Except that the results your getting don't equate to 6 years of R&D.
Hmm, in that case, hope you don't check out the specs of a 300ZX turbo.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
CadGeek

Thanks for the side by side pics. I can now show the non-Z people at work how the z has changed. Most have said "Looks the same" that is what you get from people that are not as hardcore about the Z.

I have been a Z fan since my first ride in a 240 when I was a kid. I don't hate the new one, it just isn't enough to make me wish I would have waited to get one.

Hell, with the auto industry in a hybrid "green' mode, I'm glad Nissan is still making the Z.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
xelaremnarc

Thanks for the pics, I also I am not sold at all on the new 370z. To me it is a little disappointing to see that this is what Nissan came up with after all these years.

When the 350z came out, I think the thing that drew people to it was the exotic quality it possessed. People had no idea what kind of car it was, and it drew attention wherever it went because it was so unique. When I look at the 370z, to me it just looks like another Nissan. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it just looks like they took a bunch of pieces from their other already redesigned cars and mashed it together and called it their sports car.

When I look at the 350z, I think of a Porsche. When I look at the 370z, I think of its resemblance to a Murano, its Maxima headlights, and its gorgeous chopped off Sentra fenders .

Im not hating, I want to like this car so badly, but it just isn't happening. It lacks the European styling that the 350z carried so well. The smoothness, the sleekness, its gone.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
hiz-n-herz

So I think what's heppening here is that everyone who wants a 350, has one! Sales are slowing on the 350 so they built the 370 with styling cueues that other (non 350z) folks will like.

Another thing is that my 350z looks like a tank when parked next to a Porsche. The 370's gonna look like the titanic parked next to one!

We all thought Nissan was going to build a sports car, but they really built a nicer Grand Touring vehicle than the 350. Which is fine with me. I still like the 370. I think with a kit and wheels, it will be tolerable. The butthole is FTL though. But some matte black paint on thet section and it will disappear somewhat (Same with the fangs).

I think the design is very busy, but trying to be a trend-setter. There is a lot going on and no all of it flows. Kinda reminds me of when Nissan built the 280zx Turbo in the early 80's. That car was designed with being trendy in mind. Too bad no lone likes the 80s car styling anymore (Except bmw who uses it to model their new interiors )

I think that in 20 years, the 350 will still be a sought-after design (much like the 240z and 260z. I think the 370 wil fall into the "what were they thinking?" category like that 280zx.

But for now, I still like the 370 due to the handling.

So the only thing left, is how do you get rid of the stupid bug-eyed plastic headlight housings? Those are completely uncalled for and in poor taste!!!!!

Name:  370z-118.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  370z-106.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  62.5 KB

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 01-01-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
Even the older plain 350s look better than the 370z. Those huge flat spots on the fenders really look hideous.
agreed i think the 370's look hideous.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 PM
ZZZRated

think the extra lip on the head lights and tails look stupid if they were more likethe 350 tail lights car would be sweet. but i wouldnt trade my 350 for it.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
jj1814

Long hair, dont care....

me wants.

I had an 03 Z when they first came out. I saw the concept vehicle when I was in college and was immediately in love.

The 370Z did NOT hit me like the 350 did.... but the looks have grown on me. And now the commercials have made me want one even more. I cant wait to touch and drive one.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
hiz-n-herz

I am on the fence even after seeing it in person. I like it, but not sure i'd sell my 07 to get one. I do like the tail lights.

It's gone from smooth and sleek (350) to brash and bulbous (370).
Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Zin'L.A.
its not that i cant stand it, when i say something, i kno im not the only 1 thinking it or saying it, when u dont have ur 350 anymore, then u'll have a straigh honest opinion. but ur just stubborn,
car is siick, looks beast and it is. idk if ur dad and fiance r jealous, i dont kno them.. so y would u ask that?
I am just trying to make the point that just because people think it is ugly doesn't necessarily mean that they are jealous. I am stubborn because I am not feeling the car? Ok LOL.

The appearance of the car is purely a matter of taste. Some people will like it and some people don't. I just find it funny that people like you that think the car is awesome looking can't accept that fact that other people think it's ugly.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
scrapser

I really appreciate those pictures. They confirm a lot of what I've posted about on the overall appearance. My perspective naturally (I know there are a lot of people who think the car looks wonderful). Have fun driving it.

2009 is going to be an interesting year for the Z it looks like. I really hope the number of people here posting their reluctance regarding the cars looks is indicative of the general car buying population interested in a Z. If it is, maybe Nissan will take a hint and do something about their latest rendition.

Will keep my 350 until the next gen comes out. Hopefully a complete redesign with some lessons learned.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Interesting... Thanks for posting those. It confirms what I have been ranting about all along - the 370z is bigger than the 350 in almost every aspect. The people who say it is way smaller are fooled by the very clever optical illusion that Nissan has built into the car - such as that large flat spot on the fenders that I despise so much - a styling cueue from their sentra, versa, and mini-van. Those flat-spots are just a way to break up the very large expanse of sheet metal in an attempt to make it look smaller when it's not. The body panels (Front and rear bumbers and rocker panels are very rounded too so it appears smaller when you are up next to it.

I think this is a result of taking the new FM or whatever platform, which is larger than the previous and trying to strap a sports-car body to it.

Not hating, you 370z fanboys don't need to flame me. I still like it. In fact one of the things that I liked about the 350 was how big it was. Really. I don't want to be driving a coffin on wheels like a miata.

I think Nissan is full of ish again when they say the car height is reduced from the 350. marketing BS once again. I could tell the hood was much taller when I stood net to one. The problem I have with the marketing BS is that when you try to lie about things like weight and dimensions and acceleration, you start to not trust them.

I suppose they did not outright lie, but the say some very misleading things.

"Smaller, Lighter, Faster"

We are seeing the "smaller" aspect in the pics above. Maybe some measurements are smaller, but it's not smaller like a lot had hoped - especially sucks when it has less interior room and less trunk space.

"We were able to remove 200 lbs of weight from the car compared to the 350"

But they were not straightforward with how much weight they had to add back into it!!!

Ooh... and they managed to "reduce the 0-60 by .5 seconds from the original 350z due to the increased power and reduced weight". But what they don't say is that they also used a shorter final drive to get the performance gains because it's not much more powerful, nor much lighter weight.

Oh, and the 350z 0-60 times they were using were from a 2003 350, not the most recent iteration, with the HR engine.

But 90% of the population thinking they are buying a smaller, lighter, faster Z because Nissan said so. I mean it is faster, but I think mostly due to gearing.

I wish they'd just tell it like it is. I really like the fact that it can corner with .97-.99 g's and that it can brake from 60 MPH in 106-101 feet.

They just think we are idiots and will take everything at face value.

Reminds me of the same kind of marketing BS that DSL used to say about cable broadband - "DSL is faster because every person gets their own line and cable customers all have to share the same line". Anyone with any network engineering sense knows that is BS.

Also, with HD cable providers: Cable versus satellite. I heard One of the satty providers talking about their ALL digital content versus is superior to cable's analog content. I don't know which is better yet because they are so nebulous about their details, but we know that signal transmission via any medium MUST be analog in order to transmit. I watched a satty HBO movie on a friends new LCD HDTV and while the main subjects in a scene were very detailed, the back grounds had so much digital dostortion, splotching, and dithering, it was really annoying. Probably some compression algorithm used by the satty cable provider to try to get all that extra signal on an old satellite design. I mean you can't take a satty use for 480i and replace all those channels with 1080p - something's gotta give. evetyaly they'll build and launch new sattys, but that'll be a while.

But I guess marketing perceptions always sell better than reality so I should just forget it.
You are the man. I've said all of those things numerous times before, and it's nice to see someone echoing my thoughts.

Another thing is that my 350z looks like a tank when parked next to a Porsche. The 370's gonna look like the titanic parked next to one!

We all thought Nissan was going to build a sports car, but they really built a nicer Grand Touring vehicle than the 350. Which is fine with me. I still like the 370. I think with a kit and wheels, it will be tolerable. The butthole is FTL though. But some matte black paint on thet section and it will disappear somewhat (Same with the fangs).

I think the design is very busy, but trying to be a trend-setter. There is a lot going on and no all of it flows. Kinda reminds me of when Nissan built the 280zx Turbo in the early 80's. That car was designed with being trendy in mind. Too bad no lone likes the 80s car styling anymore (Except bmw who uses it to model their new interiors )

I think that in 20 years, the 350 will still be a sought-after design (much like the 240z and 260z. I think the 370 wil fall into the "what were they thinking?" category like that 280zx.

But for now, I still like the 370 due to the handling.

So the only thing left, is how do you get rid of the stupid bug-eyed plastic headlight housings? Those are completely uncalled for and in poor taste!!!!!
I swear it's like you're inside my head. I've been saying all of this stuff on and off the forum. Bravo.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Zian

Thanks for the pics. I agree with what many others are saying: the 370 is simply not as aesthetically pleasing as the 350. The technology and extra speed would be nice, but I also will not be trading. Nice, smooth lines beat edgy designs any day. I think Nissan had it perfect with the 350z and GTR: clean lines and a slick sports car or an angular godzilla monster. Now we have an ugly mix of the two....
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
As I expected, alot of 350Z guys are getting very defensive. This always happens when a newer model arrives. The 370Z > 350Z in every area that is not subjective. Looks, which is probably the only subjective area of the car, will vary from person to person.
+1 It's like this whenever a new car debuts no matter the make..

Reminds me of the times, when the Bmw E90, E92 and E93's came out. Many of the previous gen owners got very defensive and critical towards the new models. LOL Substitute the 370z with the G37 and you'll have some picture perfect posts.

Like it or not most new model cars eventually do get accepted, takes over the previous car's stint in the spotlight and regulates them to history.

Hell....In a year or 2 nobody is going to give a s*** about this debate anyway.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Greg06

On topic...

Thanks for the pics
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 AM
ShanesG
Banned

Yep...I hated it when i first saw the car, then it started to grow on me very slightly.....now after seeing these pics, i now hate it again, 370z=design fail!!

Quick Reply: Head-to-head pics: 05 350Z vs 370Z