Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Drove 370z today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
bodayguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just test drove a touring 6MT, no sport package.

I think the new engine is fantastic. I thought it was much more responsive than my 07 and smoother. Felt less like it was running out of breath, if that makes any sense. Not that the 370 is WAY faster, but it's noticeably different.

I thought the interior was bizarre. The gauges are bigger, as if they were designed for old person vision. I did like the fabric in the door panels and the controls feel more solid. The new steering wheel is a million times better.

BTW, they had the car marked up $3500.

I might consider one in a year or two, or especially when they redesign the nose fangs. Hate those.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
VelocityC6

Originally Posted by fr0ng
leaf springs. serious business.

also, magazine racing is serious business.
Lol, so what does that tell you about other car makers who can't outperform a Chevy with leaf springs?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM
90TGP

Those leafspring still hold the 2nd fastest lap time around the Ring for a production car.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Donsred350Z

I don't think the Zcar can compete with the C5,C6 or ZR1 but i don't believe it was built to compete against the Vette either.

They appeal to two different drivers looking at different price range and Sports Car technology.

It is true that you can get a New Zcar for the price of a Used C5 or C6 but really only the 2001-2006s are reliable and monster cars. I guess all Vettes are monster cars or near super cars, but used they probbaly been dogged out.

The problem with this is that a Vette is a car that people like to drive and even two year old Vettes unless babied got 50k or more miles on them and 4-5 yr. old Vettes have 80-160k miles on them. Unless babied or stored away then you gonna pay top dollars for them, another advantage for the Vette is resale value if in top condition the Vette is an awesome american car.

So a new Zcar with it's looks and appeal is still a bargain vs. a used beat up Vette in my books. A Used Zcar with good miles will be cheaper then a Used Vette of the same year.

Performance wise the Vette has the Z beat. But new technology wise the Z has the Vette beat IMHO, it seems a more solidier car and for the money a great Sports car. The same can be said of the Vette it is lighter with better looks and performance if you got or like American pride, it is the best looking American Sport car slightly egding out the Viper.

Still the 370Z can be had here from $29k - $41k new and a used 07 50-60k mile C6 Vette will cost you $28k-$35k a new one $49k base and $70k. Of course the ZR1 is a $100k-$130k car approaching Porcshe's 911 turbo money.

That's a big jump in dollars and performance and thats how it should be. You don't expect a neon or Challenger to run with a Viper.

I'd buy a new C6 or M3 over a Zcar IF I had the money. But thrill for the bucks its still the Z car.

What I am glad of is that the 370Z wipes the plate on the 2010GT Mustang which not the case with 03-05 350Zs vs. Ford muscle car. The Vette is in a whole different class.

In saying that I will probably be trading my 350Z for a 370Z, I'm a Z guy, though I will test drive the other Sport cars especailly the new camaro and vette. But not the Lotus I doubt if I could fit, you must be a little guy.

Last edited by Donsred350Z; 01-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please explain exactly what a base C6 vette has over a 370 with the sports package other than HP/torque. I'm waiting for explicit details...
Old 01-31-2009, 12:48 AM
*Boose*

Oh wait here's my chance.

370Z vs C6

Power/Performance:

My idea of the 370Z was going to be a much improvement over the HR. I am simply dissapointed that it cannot manage an actual 12 second time in the 1/4 mile off the showroom floor. (According to magazine tests) The 370Z is only capable of a 13.5. Even with most magazine tests times being a few tenths slower than what most owners can achieve.

A Corvette is out of any Z's league. To me the Z was always a great competitor for the M3. Days back to the Z32TT and E36 and Z31 and E30 M3. Always competitive. Now the Z is falling far behind in the performance factory. My guess is that Nissan always wants to keep their cars in the affordable bracket so engine building probably will be kept to a minimum to keep costs down. But at least the new Z should've been years ahead of the E46 M3 which it is not.

The C6 stock is (hopefully no P-car owners see me write this) not bad. Ok so it's a little quick. Alright its fast as hell out the box. Traps in the 115+ range mid 12s out the box. Can't argue with that. The Ls3 with bolt ons is like an 911 Turbo with 18/24g setup or like a Supra with HKS GT3037's. Simply fast and can be done for a few thousand. There's no question about it. We're talking bolt ons here.

Looks

The Corvette has always been like a 911. Try to keep tradition. I actually like the raw mean looks of the C5 Corvette. But the C6 to me with the flat headlights is like eh maybe. But it still keeps its tradition. Fiberglass shell.

The 370Z to me is a much more radical change. Ugly but I've yet to see one in person. Hopefully next week I will at the dealership when I service my 06.

Handling

I can't touch on that I've never driven them.

Interior

From the pictures the GM has improved alot. A hell of a lot. But I was never so much into interiors. Just the transmission, engine, and looks of the exterior.

Community

To me, a car's community is a huge input in whether I buy a car or not. The Z's community is going downhill quickly with new younger owners so it's time for me to move on to the Porsche game.

So with that being said the Corvette community is probably still held strong with much older mature members so there is alot of useful information about your new car if you decide to buy one. Not alot of troll material on websites and you really don't have to worry about insurance costs like with the Z.

Lastly you have to understand the Z is built for one purpose as is the Vette. The Vette solely more for 1/4 mile (although I've heard about diff problems from a lot of people but it's not first hand so it doesn't matter) but the Z is more for the track. But how can a car like that be built for the track if all it does is lose in its class?

The 350Z vs M3 E46 is an excellent showcase of that. In closing if the Z isn't ready for the E46 M3 why or how can it be for a C6 Corvette? Way out of its league. Let the economy bounce back and maybe the new Z will be a 4.5l with more performance producing 400+ bhp then we will see if it's comparable to the M3 or even the C6.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by NoWin

Community

To me, a car's community is a huge input in whether I buy a car or not. The Z's community is going downhill quickly with new younger owners so it's time for me to move on to the Porsche game.
LOL Yup the Porsche community is jerk/immature free. Come on over to rennlist and see some gtr or vette vs porsche threads and see some maturity at work...

Cars don't make the person.. Nor did the Z community start with the 350z. What? Are you buying a car for yourself or for what people think of it?

My point is every site will have trolls and kids etc...but their always just a minority, there are will always be true enthusiasts who are willing to help out a fellow enthusiast. No need to put down an entire community and its fans.

Last edited by zipgun; 01-31-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 AM
nismology1

While I am mildly impressed by your general automotive knowledge, I am not in any way moved by the length of your posts. All I heard were some personal opinions and HP/TQ arguments. Nothing factual otherwise.

The fact is, the new Z's handling and braking performance is up there with the vette's for a heck of a lot less money. You should look up a road test/review sometime.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:58 AM
Zero

Originally Posted by 90TGP
Those leafspring still hold the 2nd fastest lap time around the Ring for a production car.
That is a fast truck.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM
DTenn913

Is this a Corvette forum or a Z forum? Anyways, I drive an 05' 350Z/Manual, and I test drove a 370Z/Touring/Auto today and absolutely loved it. I thought it was considerably quicker than my car, and had a lot more low end torque. Interior is a vast improvement, and the seats are also a lot more comfortable. If I wasn't 20 and in college right now, I would buy one.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
ladyzed

Now that the ZR1 is in the supercar territory, it's safe to say comparing the Z to the vette is impractical.

I too will get to drive the ZR1 very soon, but in no ways will I compare it to my z lol.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 PM
nismology1

Originally Posted by ladyzed
Now that the ZR1 is in the supercar territory, it's safe to say comparing the Z to the vette is impractical.

I too will get to drive the ZR1 very soon, but in no ways will I compare it to my z lol.
It's a good thing that no one was talking about the ZR1, isn't it?

Some of you guys are really scaring me with the lack of reading comprehension skills....cripes.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
VelocityC6

Originally Posted by nismology1
While I am mildly impressed by your general automotive knowledge, I am not in any way moved by the length of your posts. All I heard were some personal opinions and HP/TQ arguments. Nothing factual otherwise.

The fact is, the new Z's handling and braking performance is up there with the vette's for a heck of a lot less money. You should look up a road test/review sometime.
True its right up there in skidpad/slalom, but it lags behind in power......on a track that puts the Z at a disadvantage. The 370Z will do battle with the other cars it's meant to compete with (Camaro/Mustang/Genesis coupe). It's meant to target 30-40K range, going after the vette is asking alot and it falls short. IE the base C6 w/Z51 was taking out some big names in the "lightning lap" C&D did. (finished ahead of the R8, 911 turbo, M3, Exige S)
The vette is just a faster overall car. BUT the 370Z is a great value and one of the best choices under 40K
Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by ulmpharmd
Hey guys just wanted to give my insight on the 370z. To give you my background in cars i have owned in the past few years 2 C6 corvettes, 2 C5 z06 corvettes, a lotus elise, and most recently a lotus exige s. I know the guys at the dealership quite well, so they gave me and my wife the keys to a silver touring manual car without sport pack. My impressions in short are that the car is improved in the interior area, much too quiet exhaust wise, shifting was nice and smooth, power was decent, ride felt better than the 350z, but my biggest problem with the car is the price. The car needs to be a sport/touring car to be worth getting one in my opinion, and it ends up being over 40k. And yes, for 40k, a base C6 will dance circles around this car in power, handling, looks, and fit and finish on the interior. It is a nice car for what it is, but IMHO wayyyy to much $ for the product and performance you get.
HAHA! Not even close. The 370z will run circles around it in fit and finish. Power is the only thing the C6 has over the 370z. Handling they are probably the same.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 01-31-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 90TGP
#1 reason is due to power. That track has many long straights and that is the only place the C6 can haul butt on. The 370z will easily out take one in the curves.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
VelocityC6

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
#1 reason is due to power. That track has many long straights and that is the only place the C6 can haul butt on. The 370z will easily out take one in the curves.
"easily" LOL

If you think the C6 can't handle you should do some more research.

And hopefully Nissan has addressed the brake fade problems, do more then a couple laps and those Brembos went to ****. That's something the C6 has never been accused of......fading brakes.

Last edited by VelocityC6; 01-31-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by VelocityC6
"easily" LOL

And hopefully Nissan has addressed the brake fade problems, do more then a couple laps and those Brembos went to ****. That's something the C6 has never been accused of......fading brakes.
that's funny, I road race my car with Brembos all the time even when they were stock I had NO brake fade issues.

And the Vette is known to have shitty brakes.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Zero

Originally Posted by VelocityC6
"easily" LOL

Don't you have C6 forum to go to? I am wondering why you are here if you are not interested in the Z.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
VelocityC6

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
that's funny, I road race my car with Brembos all the time even when they were stock I had NO brake fade issues.

And the Vette is known to have shitty brakes.
Wrong you are, wouldn't have outpaced the R8, 911 turbo, Exige if the brakes were shitty. BTW the ceramic brakes on the ZR1 are pretty neat.......those shitty too in your mind?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 PM
VelocityC6

Originally Posted by Zero
Don't you have C6 forum to go to? I am wondering why you are here if you are not interested in the Z.
I'm a car enthusiast, interested in alot of cars.

Quick Reply: Drove 370z today!