Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Test Drove a 370Z this weekend....v.135iOwner

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
ssabripo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove a 370Z this weekend....v.135iOwner

long time lurker here from e46fanatics (and now from 1addicts)

Anyways, thought I might share some small thoughts after test driving the new Z, given that I thought the 135i is/was the superior car... so here it goes:

[flamesuit]

Saturday afternoon had to stop by a friend's house near maronne nissan, and had some time to kill, so we went to the dealer in my car and decided to take it for a test drive. The car we drove was:
Touring with Sport Package
Sport Package
Navigation Package
Carpeted Floor Mats
Carpeted Trunk Mat
the MSRP sticker on the window said: $40,215

I was gonna write this long winded thing, but I figured most of you know this car better than I do, so will just add some bullet points on how it compares with the 135i I have....mind you, i'm giving my thoughts as how the stock 135i would fare, not the modded one I have:

* It definitely feels more nimble and handles better than the stock 135i...the LSD is a huge gain in this regard. I can say that having driven it, it SHOULD be able to best the 135i on any track, stock to stock. As an example, I took it on some spirited spins at 4-5k revs around turns, and it was well composed, whereas the 135i had some slight understeer in stock form.
* the exterior is much nicer in person, I was very pleasantly surprised. Much nicer than the 350Z to be honest.
* The interior, although very functional and practical, is not as fit and nice as the 135i's sports package version. I think the M accents (m shifter, m steering wheel, slight turn towards driver, etc) really stand out as simple yet functional and classy. The Z's was a bit crowded and just a tad bit ricey for my tastes, but very functional as well nontheless. YMMV.
* for the price, (~$35k, the one I drove) it is a great value, bar none.

[/flamesuit]

I think, aside from the subjective love-it/hate-it exterior (not that I can talk much, being a 135i ), the car does give incredible value for what it is, a well composed sports coupe. The non-touring package drops the value another $4k, so for $36k or so, you can have great performance on your dollar.

my only complains would be: I wish it was a FI engine instead of NA. This tuneability is where the 135i can really shine with the N54 engine. a $500 JB3 tune has me in mid 12's, low 4's 0-60, and doing 362wrhp.

anyways, just wanted to share...
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
PA 19103

Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
supergoji

my only complains would be: I wish it was a FI engine instead of NA. This tuneability is where the 135i can really shine with the N54 engine. a $500 JB3 tune has me in mid 12's, low 4's 0-60, and doing 362wrhp.

anyways, just wanted to share...[/QUOTE]

ya but don't your teeny turbos lose breath up top?? i am on 1addicts and i frequently look at the tunes.
that direct injection is quite a boon for you guys. JB3 is sick in the head too. 420whp on race gas.

a 300zxTT will do the same thing and more lolz. my buddies Z32 TT has an intake and turboback exhaust and it does 4.6 0-60 with me driving it. i cant wait till he gets his new suspension, updated transmission, updated ecu, dual intakes, intercoolers o0o it's gonna be fast!

i agree with you on the FI point. if only they had two GT28R's bolted to the VQ37... but then it would almost compare to the GTR in straight line performance.

Last edited by supergoji; 03-02-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
ssabripo

Originally Posted by supergoji
ya but don't your teeny turbos lose breath up top?? i am on 1addicts and i frequently look at the tunes.
that direct injection is quite a boon for you guys. JB3 is sick in the head too. 420whp on race gas.

a 300zxTT will do the same thing and more lolz. my buddies Z32 TT has an intake and turboback exhaust and it does 4.6 0-60 with me driving it. i cant wait till he gets his new suspension, updated transmission, updated ecu, dual intakes, intercoolers o0o it's gonna be fast!

i agree with you on the FI point. if only they had two GT28R's bolted to the VQ37... but then it would almost compare to the GTR in straight line performance.
yeah, it all depends on how it is tuned. For example, the previous JB3 1.1 did have some taper up top (above 120mph), but with the new JB3 1.22 (map6), it just keeps going hard...I've hit the limiter (155mph) quite easily where the car wanted to keep going.

I agree though, some bigger turbos would be nice. But then again, I don't know how much it would affect the no-lag feel of these cars.

Last edited by ssabripo; 03-02-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
kyx4n

not a bad review mate, didnt seem biased
Old 03-02-2009, 01:27 PM
ssabripo

Originally Posted by kyx4n
not a bad review mate, didnt seem biased
I had some initial reservations since I figured that a brand new platform from Nissan should best the 135i/335i, but when the initial data came out showing near identical times, I was a bit dissappointed.

but after test driving it, I can say now that Nissan definitely went the route of lighter, more nimble, more trackable path, rather than a power/straightline path....and they did a good job at that, for mid $30's.

a e46 M3 like performance for mid $30's says a lot
Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
phatz33

haha yah i drove the 370z also and you're for sure accurate about the better handling. They're both great cars i just preferred the feeling of a turbo especially after the JB3. I still got a 350z so I'm always gonna have plenty of respect for Z's.

Last edited by phatz33; 03-02-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
supergoji

Originally Posted by ssabripo
yeah, it all depends on how it is tuned. For example, the previous JB3 1.1 did have some taper up top (above 120mph), but with the new JB3 1.22 (map6), it just keeps going hard...I've hit the limiter (155mph) quite easily where the car wanted to keep going.

I agree though, some bigger turbos would be nice. But then again, I don't know how much it would affect the no-lag feel of these cars.
ball bearing turbos with a free flowing exhaust and a great tune would eliminate the "lag".

there's not much lag in my friends car, but it's enough for me.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 AM
ssabripo

btw, this video may be interesting to some of you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ictv_...layer_embedded
Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Ven

that video sucks...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM
ShadowHunter66

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ven
that video sucks...
Best Motoring is awesome, but you need to watch it with the english dubs.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
OZ-Z

Default I agree

I almost bought the 135 sport pkg....I just keep seeing a 318i hatch for resale in future if you know what I mean. I would go the extra for the 335i as you will get it all back in resale....you won't with the 135....The Z will resale fine
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 AM
phatz33

Originally Posted by OZ-Z
I almost bought the 135 sport pkg....I just keep seeing a 318i hatch for resale in future if you know what I mean. I would go the extra for the 335i as you will get it all back in resale....you won't with the 135....The Z will resale fine
The car has been out in the states for maybe 2 years. How can you come to this conclusion? The 318i was total junk the reviews were all terrible. The 135i is totally different. Granted it's a little brother of the 335i, but I really don't think it will be as bad as you think. These cars have so much potential. All I have is a $500 tune and nothing else and I basically tie a new m3.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 AM
azula

good reveiw bro
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, its time for the Z to get some turbos. So much easier to tune if the turbos are already there. The bmw's might have small turbos, but for cheap you can make alot more horses than the Z. I even heard the turbo solstice with a remapped ecu can make awesome gains. Just think it would give us a better starting point
Old 03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
SnakeBitten

Bet you that is a higher altitude test area. None of the NA engines are in there typical performance envelope. Only the turbo 135 is close to its performance numbers. Turbo motors perform better in higher altitude than NA motors. 14 secs for the 370z, 14.6 for the S2k even the 13.7 for the Cayman S is way off normal times and really makes me believe they are down on power due to altitude. Just my speculation based on every other test with these cars having all but the S2k very close in performance. Lots of variables to consider especially when you see a bunch of cars way off there usual numbers.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 PM
xray2

Originally Posted by mw9
I agree, its time for the Z to get some turbos. So much easier to tune if the turbos are already there. The bmw's might have small turbos, but for cheap you can make alot more horses than the Z. I even heard the turbo solstice with a remapped ecu can make awesome gains. Just think it would give us a better starting point
I agree, in a thread along time ago... the Z went in the wrong direction. This is all hindsight, given that the sports car markey, and the WHOLE market has tanked. Nissan and everyone else thought they can just boost displacement incrementally for better performance. It is justifiable: the Z reliability (ignore 2003) has skyrocketed since the ZX days.

I'd rather see a return to a 2.5, 2.8 or 3.0 MAX engine with turbos. Turbos are far more sophisticated than 1996, and the what does Nissan care if someone wants to kill their vehicle with over-boost like modded GTR. They'll just blow you off for the warranty.
Bigger engines = more weight, so more reinforment, even more weight.

With the new safety rules the Z went 1 step forward, then back 1 to cover the weight gain/loss.

5 years out, I'd rather see an electric Z, like the Tesla - but lighter (less heavy batteries).
Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by mw9
Most of the big shops will do a Single turbo install for around 7-8K now

A base REVUP sold for 27K or so...add in the 8K for ST and your at 35K for better numbers than a flashed 135i

Someone just mentioned Nissan dealerships selling 08 base models for 22K!

The new Z is a big step forward in handling which is tough to get right on your own...the new motor will add some more hoops to jump through with FI but given its stout nature an ST setup on it is gonna shine....

The 135i is a nice car but I passed once I saw it in person...the weight difference between that and the 335i didnt materialize and it looks too funky to justify 1-200lbs ....I would take an M Coupe with a N54 swap over a 135i....dont know if BMW will ever use and N54 in a Z4 coupe but that would be an awesome ride that looks that part.

The 135i is a good car...but an M Coupe type of hatch shape would have made it a GREAT car IMO

Thanks for the review of the 370...coming from a 135i driver its nice to note the differences
Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM
ParkStr8

I too looked at the 135i. My thoughts were performance, small exterior, amenities and four seats. When loaded it the way I wanted it, (ok - EVERY option available) it's nearly 50 all told. And they are not really dealing on them. I just can't justify that kind of $$ for a 1 - and that's before any mods. And while some say BMW's hold their resale value...that is all based on current market and location. They do not hold that well here in LA as 1 in 8 cars is a BMW.

I still love the one, but IMO BMW is about to price itself out of several markets. The 3 loaded at near or above 60? A 1 in the high 40's? Seriously...

I remember as recently as 05 i got my 545i loaded for 60 out the door.

Just a thought...
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well...

yeah, that's what I've been saying...

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 370Z this weekend....v.135iOwner