Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Edmunds- 2009 370Z vs 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 PM
badbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk8769
I have been thinking about buying a 370Z or spending the extra on the 335i. When reading threads like this you really get a sense of the type of crowd you relate to if equating that to what type of vehicle you drive. Thus I it makes me sad that such a nice car seems to be driven by so many immature people.

Grow up and realize that American manufactures can make nice cars and in some respects make certain thing better than its Japanese counterparts.

I think the 335i might be a better choice just because I'll feel like a better person and be able to relate to the people that drive them more.
You are spot on, way too many forum members long on attitude and short on brains. Check on Rexy's reply to my post. I think he has been eating too much rice! Take care and go buy the bimmer, you won't regret it.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow. check out all the stang haters. sooner or later ill be reading the same rants coming from the hyundai (genesis) fanatics. lolz!

imo, stangs are nice but they only belong to the highway and at the dragstrip. sort of like, daddy's "sports coupe"

the only reason why i hate stangs is because 90% of the time, every stang gt that lines up right next to me at a stoplight would always launch or rev, as though i wanted to race them or something. cocky bastards.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 AM
TreeFittyZee

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
well for a mustang hater that thinks there are so much Stangs in Junkyards? BS!

As for a mustang not as reliable as a NISSAN? that is BS also! I have a 90 GT that has a Vortech and everything else! it has over 148,000mi on the Stock Block, Never eats a drop of oil! All this with launches of 4500 RPM's on Slicks! on a Street prepped Suspension! I drive it everyday to work and back, and cruzing and racing it at the track! It has never broke down on me since I had this car new! now I would love to see a 370Z do this without any mods to rear end or Bottom half of Block? I doubt it will live as long as my Stang! So for you to say any Mustang is Unreliable, get your facts Bro. And I would love to hammer you and your 370Z, anyday, turns or straights! any Mustang with with a few amount of $$$$ can be made to outhandle any 370Z!
Just hate when one person bashes one make of car. cause they see alot of so called "American Cars" in Junkyards? I bet there is just as much Foreign car at Junk yards just the same!
so modded vs stock?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 AM
SnakeBitten

I love Muststanks. The sound of those V8's are an automotive audio icon imho. Im partial to the Fox Body Muststanks and the 03 Cobras. However they are not true sportscars and its expected that it will lose in the twisties to a true sportscar stock to stock. It was never meant to be a canyon carver from the factory so not sure why Z and Muststank factions are warring over the obvious. Stock to stock no contest on a circuit track. As for the guy that stated modding his Muststank's suspension will make it beat a "stock" Z? lol well duh. Mod the Z to the same level and make it apples to apples and then what do you think will happen?

BTW to be fair on the reliability aspect I have an 05 350z that has had 3 engines replaced before 32k miles because of oil consumption. The car has never broken down on me or given me problems of any mechanical sort even though it has had bad oil consumption problem. But lets not pretend the Z doesnt have alot of problems especially the early ones. Tire feathering, door motor problems, grease streaks on the windows, oil consumption, horrible wearability on the interior plastics, absolutely garbage Bose system that has problems playing cd's and handling bumps just after a year of ownership etc. Just some of the non mechanical problems Ive seen some have. Ones in bold I have. Both are great at what they do in there niche so no need put down either one. Get the one that suits your needs or wants.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well for a mustang hater that thinks there are so much Stangs in Junkyards? BS!

As for a mustang not as reliable as a NISSAN? that is BS also! I have a 90 GT that has a Vortech and everything else! it has over 148,000mi on the Stock Block, Never eats a drop of oil! All this with launches of 4500 RPM's on Slicks! on a Street prepped Suspension! I drive it everyday to work and back, and cruzing and racing it at the track! It has never broke down on me since I had this car new! now I would love to see a 370Z do this without any mods to rear end or Bottom half of Block? I doubt it will live as long as my Stang! So for you to say any Mustang is Unreliable, get your facts Bro. And I would love to hammer you and your 370Z, anyday, turns or straights! any Mustang with with a few amount of $$$$ can be made to outhandle any 370Z!

Just hate when one person bashes one make of car. cause they see alot of so called "American Cars" in Junkyards? I bet there is just as much Foreign car at Junk yards just the same!
LOL............You obviously are stuck in the "Domestic > Foreign" world. If you search GTM HR TT Z, your Rustang will not even touch nor come close to what that Z can perform. By the way, "How can you compare a modded car to a stock car?".................
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 AM
got556

All this thread is telling me is who are the real car enthusiasts, the people who have driven both brands, the mature people, the immature people, the brand ******, and the people talking out their ***.

The line was drawn somewhere between mature and immature people.....
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
808MIKE

Originally Posted by Changvi
LOL............You obviously are stuck in the "Domestic > Foreign" world. If you search GTM HR TT Z, your Rustang will not even touch nor come close to what that Z can perform. By the way, "How can you compare a modded car to a stock car?".................
Well ok, not an apples to apples comparison! mybad, just was ticked off about some comments some others made, or just the way they think. but I do agree, a Stock or slightly modded suspension in a Stang, especailly the older ones like mine, early to late model ones. will never handle as good as a 350 or any other car with an independent rear suspension. but if you spend a whole lotta $$$$ on a Stang set-up, it can rip!!

as for me just being Stuck in Domestic World? Wrong! I also have a 07 G35 Sedan. which I love. so I am into both worlds now. used to be just Stangs, now I am hooked on both worlds.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well ok, not an apples to apples comparison! mybad, just was ticked off about some comments some others made, or just the way they think. but I do agree, a Stock or slightly modded suspension in a Stang, especailly the older ones like mine, early to late model ones. will never handle as good as a 350 or any other car with an independent rear suspension. but if you spend a whole lotta $$$$ on a Stang set-up, it can rip!!

as for me just being Stuck in Domestic World? Wrong! I also have a 07 G35 Sedan. which I love. so I am into both worlds now. used to be just Stangs, now I am hooked on both worlds.
So which road course are we going to and when? My Z33 is N/A, and I'm up for a little road course challenge with your 90 'Stang. I will be at Laguna on 4/13 (www.ncracing.org to sign up) and Thunderhill a few times over the spring and summer. I'd love to actually see a fast 5-0 out there.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
BrianV

Originally Posted by got556
All this thread is telling me is who are the real car enthusiasts, the people who have driven both brands, the mature people, the immature people, the brand ******, and the people talking out their ***.

The line was drawn somewhere between mature and immature people.....
Amen to that.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
jakesford

LOL at this thread...

Mustangs have never been mistaken for sports cars so I don't even know why this review should exist. The mustang from the start was made for the buyer that wanted an affordable "pony car" that they could mod. Why has ford left the solid rear axle in the car? Ford them selves admitted it was to help keep the price low, weight down, and they know that the owners would rather have rugged reliability and simplicity of a live axle that works better in drag racing.

If you take out the recent dark ages of the GT (96'-99) its been a solid performer that adapts well to any condition. For those that don't believe that mustangs can handle check out the American iron series or camaro mustang challenge. Oh yeah and those POS mustangs (FR500C) beat the **** out of equally modded Porsche's and BMW's in Grand-Am Cup racing, all with a simple solid axle and a v8 ... If you just happen to want to get into this program, ford will sell you a "body in white" as blank canvas to help keep costs down. Watch out in another year, ford's new 5.0 will be finding its way into the 2011 mustangs with 400hp in a car that weighs hundreds of pounds less than the new camaros...

I have to say the 2010 mustang IMO is real step up in fit and finish for ford, but I still haven't quite fallen for the 05'+ models, more of a die hard fox body man myself. That said my 03' 350z was a great ride and still one of my favorites, though not the most reliable as some others would like argue, it put a smile on my face and made for a nice daily

Both Z cars and Mustangs have a long and rich heritage, and those that can't appreciate either are definitely not "car guys"

My old coupe, and Z:

Last edited by jakesford; 03-17-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM
GodSendsDeath

BrianV thanks for posting. I love to come to the 350z forums and see some one with enough common sense and post. I used to own a 08 350z and build quality is a nightmare, but it still was a great car. My brother has the car now and loves it, but it is still garbage.

As for the new mustang I have not seen it, but my neighbor has a 08 GT with 600bhp and DD every day. He has over 60k miles boosted, and besides small maintenance there was nothing worth mentioning. So how many 600bhp Z's are out here that have 60k miles boosted?

American cars are not as sophisticated as lets say German or some Japanese car, but they are built tough and can take a beating. I am excited for the new Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, but I am getting sick and tired of these import owners trashing American made. Check it out Nunberg ring American cars are king, and same goes for mass transportation.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Rexy7

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
BrianV thanks for posting. I love to come to the 350z forums and see some one with enough common sense and post. I used to own a 08 350z and build quality is a nightmare, but it still was a great car. My brother has the car now and loves it, but it is still garbage.

As for the new mustang I have not seen it, but my neighbor has a 08 GT with 600bhp and DD every day. He has over 60k miles boosted, and besides small maintenance there was nothing worth mentioning. So how many 600bhp Z's are out here that have 60k miles boosted?

American cars are not as sophisticated as lets say German or some Japanese car, but they are built tough and can take a beating. I am excited for the new Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, but I am getting sick and tired of these import owners trashing American made. Check it out Nunberg ring American cars are king, and same goes for mass transportation.
Can you elaborate on how your 08 350z build quality was a nightmare? I have an 07 350z and I love it to death..one of the best cars ive owned.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as expected from these kinds topics : a never-ending import/domestic haters' debate lol.

how can you guys compare two modded cars? u know it all depends on how they're built right?

IMO stangs are great and lovely cars, but stock vs. stock the review says Z>Stang. period. no need to justify as the judgment has been done.

build quality of Z is garbage??? Fa!L! Parts would have fallen off as i raced my Z at the circuit many times, in very hot conditions to add to that. No issues whatsoever xcept for worn out brakes, tires etc. . . so, try again.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 AM
gabez33

Originally Posted by jakesford

Both Z cars and Mustangs have a long and rich heritage, and those that can't appreciate either are definitely not "car guys"
Not everyone has to like/appreciate what you like and vise versa to fit the definition of a car guy. I have never been a mustang fan period, and I am a car guy. I love cameros, corvettes, gto, chargers, trans ams, almost every singles old school muscle car to current models. So dont use the " if you cant appreciate mustangs, your not a car guy" slogan
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Rexy7
Can you elaborate on how your 08 350z build quality was a nightmare? I have an 07 350z and I love it to death..one of the best cars ive owned.

Well how everything in the interior is put together. The fit and finish was very bad, and I discovered all of this when I was installing my sound system. At a quick glance it seems very sturdy, but when you start looking around kick plate and follow that trail you will see somethings are off by nearly a inch.
I am not sure what all these parts are called, but those where my problems with it. Looks great but is not all that.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by BrianV
I think American car makers know this and because of that they were the first manufacturers to create the no maintenance for 100k miles concept.

I think Hyundai started this. The only reason I bought an Elantra back in '97
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the early 90s GTs, as well as the mid-late 80s LXs. . .
Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by gabez33
Not everyone has to like/appreciate what you like and vise versa to fit the definition of a car guy. I have never been a mustang fan period, and I am a car guy. I love cameros, corvettes, gto, chargers, trans ams, almost every singles old school muscle car to current models. So dont use the " if you cant appreciate mustangs, your not a car guy" slogan

I never said you had to like them, I said a "car guy" should be able to appreciate the heritage... Personally I don't really like any of the 4th gen F-bodies, but I appreciate the history of camaro, and I can really appreciate a nice 68 SS You say you like old school muscle cars, and I assume that means you like the 60's camaro. GM produced the Camaro because of the Mustang, that whole rivalry started as soon as the first 67' camaro rolled of the assembly line.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 AM
gabez33

I never said you had to like them, I said a "car guy" should be able to appreciate the heritage... Personally I don't really like any of the 4th gen F-bodies, but I appreciate the history of camaro, and I can really appreciate a nice 68 SS You say you like old school muscle cars, and I assume that means you like the 60's camaro. GM produced the Camaro because of the Mustang, that whole rivalry started as soon as the first 67' camaro rolled of the assembly line.
so thats where the chevy vs ford things started? I always wondered that,

68 SS
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Old Chuck

Default Started earlier then the 60's muscle cars

Actually the Chevy/Ford thing started years ago. Being older, I remember when Chevy put the first V-8 in their cars in 1955. Until then, all Chevy's had a straight 6 including the Corvette which came out in 1953. Before 1955, Ford products ruled. The early 50's Ford and Mercury were the bootleggers choice. Once Chevy rolled the small block V-8 out in 1955, it all changed. Chevy was no longer the bastard child with no go. Since 1955, each company has tried to one up the other which got more heated when the 1964 1/2 Mustang his the road. Followed by the Camaro in 1967, the fight was back on. In the late 60's to early 70's everyone got in the muscle car race with some amazing (for the tires and times) cars and acceleration times. The gasoline crunch hit in the 70's and this killed the muscle car era and everything got slow until recently. Now the Cararo is coming back with 420 hp. and we will see what Ford does.

Quick Reply: Edmunds- 2009 370Z vs 2010 Mustang GT