Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Edmunds- 2009 370Z vs 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Wukillabeez78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds- 2009 370Z vs 2010 Mustang GT

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Rexy7

Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
Nice write up, another win for the 370z..lol at the quote "sloppy handling of the mustang" mustangs are always known for there crappy handling no matter what pos ford has to offer.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 AM
TreeFittyZee

not really surprised...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

they said don't ask why a challenger wasn't available, but I want to ask

it will be interesting to see them compare the v6 and v8 camaro in the future.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 AM
melloyello370

My god those two cars are not long time rivals! Besides both having only 2 doors, they have nothing in common.

I hate Mustangs. It seems every time I turn around another high school kid is driving one. I kinda like being set apart from that in my 370. Hell, for that matter, I kinda like being set apart from that same aspect of the 350. Sorry.

The mustang isn't producing the same power as the Z with 2 more cylinders?? So basically having an extra liter simply means using more gas and not getting results equal to the Z.

About the mustang:
"..the live rear axle becomes an obvious liability." - oops

F*#@ed On Race Day!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Rexy7

lol..F=frequently O=on R=repair D=duty...or duty as an sh*t..lol
Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 AM
HyperKnight
Stulax makes me cream

Received 631 Likes on 440 Posts

By some of these comments some of you guys are still in high school.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Rexy7

adult here...it is what it is..I had a cobra caused my previous car rx-7(fd3s)stock to crash because the pos mustang could not handle a s turn @ 90mph.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
BrianV

Great article, and it shows how great the 370z is as an overall sports car.

I am getting tired of reading these Ford, Chevy piece of crap generalizations. How many Mustangs do you see on the road? Tons, trust me they're reliable, and they're easy and cheap to fix. The 4.6L modular V8 they've used has been proven a bulletproof design. Look how many NYC cabs and towncars have that motor with 250K + miles. Look at how many Crown Vic cop cars are still around, and those get hardcore duty cycles.

I'd argue that a Mustang will be as reliable if not more reliable than a 370Z. Having said that, I'd totally take the Z over it for much of the reasons mentioned in that article.

The 422hp SS Camaro is going to be a real neat comparison. I expect it to be faster while the 370z is the more athletic and nimble (obvious assumption).

Anyways, I like the new Mustang. It's the first Mustang I think is a positive step for Ford. The Shelby GT500 version is expected to get a 40hp bump, and with the classier interior it should be pretty cool, but I'd still take an LS3 Z51 Vette.

I'm holding out that Nissan fixes their NVH issues. My 07 G35S lacks complete refinement above 5k rpm and it's getting tiring. After driving my friends' BMWs 330i, IS350, and Audi S4, I REALLY desire a smoother power deliver. This is one thing holding me back from jumping into the 370z. That and a wish that a 500Z will exist one day in the ~45k range targeting E92 M3 performance.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Rexy7

My local chevy dealerships are trying to get rid of left over 08 corvettes for mid 30's very tempting..vette is the only american car for the money bang for the buck I would get but untill gm gets their financial problems straight..I will still keep & love my Z.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 AM
RedSled

Originally Posted by melloyello370
My god those two cars are not long time rivals! Besides both having only 2 doors, they have nothing in common.

I hate Mustangs. It seems every time I turn around another high school kid is driving one. I kinda like being set apart from that in my 370. Hell, for that matter, I kinda like being set apart from that same aspect of the 350. Sorry.

The mustang isn't producing the same power as the Z with 2 more cylinders?? So basically having an extra liter simply means using more gas and not getting results equal to the Z.

About the mustang:
"..the live rear axle becomes an obvious liability." - oops

F*#@ed On Race Day!
You talk about the 350Z being commonplace and while I do agree, what makes you think the 370Z isn't going to be commonplace within a few years too?

Also, don't be so ignorant about the mustang.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 PM
melloyello370

Originally Posted by RedSled
You talk about the 350Z being commonplace and while I do agree, what makes you think the 370Z isn't going to be commonplace within a few years too?

Also, don't be so ignorant about the mustang.
Ignorance has nothing to do with it. I drove a Ford.. have you? All I was saying was that Mustangs are a dime a dozen because they are cheap. Cheap to upgrade, cheap to fix and obviously that is going to appeal to a wide array of people. Maybe not as wide as say a Honda Civic but you get the idea.

With that said, I have seen some badass Mustangs out there but the generic styling is starting to really look dated (inside as well as out) and performance wise, they just are in a different class all together.

Finally, I don't recall saying that I think the 370 wouldn't be commonplace given enough time. Most affordable cars are. It's just nice not to be commonplace for the time being. Plus, there's "affordable" (like a Civic) and then there's "affordable". The second "affordable" not too many high schoolers can afford.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Hoods

Originally Posted by melloyello370
Plus, there's "affordable" (like a Civic) and then there's "affordable". The second "affordable" not too many high schoolers can afford.
I think the difference is the first is called "affordable", while the second is called "obtainable".
Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
melloyello370

Originally Posted by Hoods
I think the difference is the first is called "affordable", while the second is called "obtainable".
Very good. I'll go with that.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM
robertinmesa

nice review.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Wow, you always have some complaint about every car you own.

You will never be happy.

Originally Posted by BrianV
Great article, and it shows how great the 370z is as an overall sports car.

I am getting tired of reading these Ford, Chevy piece of crap generalizations. How many Mustangs do you see on the road? Tons, trust me they're reliable, and they're easy and cheap to fix. The 4.6L modular V8 they've used has been proven a bulletproof design. Look how many NYC cabs and towncars have that motor with 250K + miles. Look at how many Crown Vic cop cars are still around, and those get hardcore duty cycles.

I'd argue that a Mustang will be as reliable if not more reliable than a 370Z. Having said that, I'd totally take the Z over it for much of the reasons mentioned in that article.

The 422hp SS Camaro is going to be a real neat comparison. I expect it to be faster while the 370z is the more athletic and nimble (obvious assumption).

Anyways, I like the new Mustang. It's the first Mustang I think is a positive step for Ford. The Shelby GT500 version is expected to get a 40hp bump, and with the classier interior it should be pretty cool, but I'd still take an LS3 Z51 Vette.

I'm holding out that Nissan fixes their NVH issues. My 07 G35S lacks complete refinement above 5k rpm and it's getting tiring. After driving my friends' BMWs 330i, IS350, and Audi S4, I REALLY desire a smoother power deliver. This is one thing holding me back from jumping into the 370z. That and a wish that a 500Z will exist one day in the ~45k range targeting E92 M3 performance.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM
BrianV

Originally Posted by Carbon-Z
Wow, you always have some complaint about every car you own.

You will never be happy.
Call it like you want, but pretty much all VQ35s have suffered from roughness at high rpms. Obviously I've put up with it as a tolerable trait because the rest of the car is so awesome. I was just commenting that I agreed with the only negative of the review. I've owned 3 VQ35 cars (04 G35, 04 Z, and 07 G35S) so I have a lot of experience.

I fail to realize where I had any significant complaint in that thread other than the engine harshness. My defense of the Mustang is because people have all these conjured up, subjective, mythical American cars are unreliable statements that are basically untrue.

I still said the Z is the better car in pretty much all aspects.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Red6

I quote ThisBlood147 from the Mustangforums because he sums up my feelings about the camparison.

"When comparing a pony car with a sportscar, should the results really be this surprising? I do have to correct them for making the Mustang out to seem pricier to start with, though......base price is 27.9K, not 30K. And as I've proven with my car, the Mustang is only a set of springs and good tires away from sticking right with the Z in the corners........if one is so inclined to make their Stang into a carver that can hang with the likes of the Z."

When Nissan builds a 2+2 coupe in the same segment as the Mustang, then I'll take such a comparo seriously. Only the devout auto enthusiasts (like those on sites like this one) will cross-shop these two cars. All other prospective consumers will be turned off by one choice or the other by styling, option pricing, or interior space (or lack thereof).
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
PA 19103

Never been a fan of Mustangs, they are nice, sounds mean but ultimatly they are POS and break more than a Nissan. Go to any junk yard and see what you'll find there, mostly American made cars.

I like the fact the Z handles better at the cones and skidpad, it kills the Mustang. I think Z would win in a track setting.

That just my 2 cents.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 PM
TreeFittyZee

LOL @ mustang guys asking why a 2 seater is being compared with a 4 seater and labeling it as unfair

Corvette Z06 vs. Nissan GTR anyone? rofl

Quick Reply: Edmunds- 2009 370Z vs 2010 Mustang GT