Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370z production to be cut 66%

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 AM
zipgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tac-M
that is not what i hear for numerous PCA instructors.

LOL Dude.. PCA Instructors aren't gods ya know. I've met some wieners in my 17+years with the PCA.

We have a guy in our Region/chapter who swears that the (his)914 will out handle a Cayman..

Seriously tho.. Porsche like nissan have their haters etc.. I'll bet you in every PCA chapter there is at least one diehard 993'er who hates all water cooled P cars. Your 2010 GT3 included.

Last edited by zipgun; 04-22-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zipgun
Your 2010 GT2 included.
ha ha ! i wish it was mine
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM
BrianV

Not surprised. The car is too expensive in this economy. The people who are going to spend $40k for a car are more inclined to buy a premium brand.

At the end of the day, Nissan still makes the Sentra and Versa :/
Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by BrianV
Not surprised. The car is too expensive in this economy. The people who are going to spend $40k for a car are more inclined to buy a premium brand.

At the end of the day, Nissan still makes the Sentra and Versa :/
All manufacturers are cutting back production premium brands included.

It's already been established that the 370 doesn't cost much more than the previous one. Most buyers Ive seen so far are paying mid to low 30's for their new 370 Z's. In any case $40k for a car isn't a whole lot nowadays.

Sentra and Versa eh? At the end of the day Nissan also made this

LOL So you think $40k is too expensive for a "Nissan" and most would buy a premium brand for that amount? You do know that most "premium" branded cars cost a heck of a lot more than $40k right? And If we're talking strictly sport cars (which the Z is)? The price gap would be even greater.

Badge ******....
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by Tac-M
ha ha ! i wish it was mine
Don't we all..
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kailua
The 370z is actually very fuel efficient for a sports car. My 08 Speed3 barely averaged 17mpg bone stock. My 09 STI hovered around 18mpg. My 370z sport, touring, 6spd is averaging 22mpg.

For all those of you who hate the 370z so much, why are you even here on this forum? I don't go visit forums where I have absolutely no interest but to bash the vehicle which the forum is dedicated to.

I can not stand the Toyota Yaris and hence I don't go visit that forum, let alone register to make comments on how much I hate the vehicle.
technically its called my350z.com lol not my 370Z soooo yeahhhh. but i dont bash it, im just saying alot of people were here way before the 370 was added as like a subforum. on a side note tho why wont the site let you type in my 370z .com all together?

Last edited by liven Z life; 04-22-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Lento

It's already been established that the 370 doesn't cost much more than the previous one. Most buyers Ive seen so far are paying mid to low 30's for their new 370 Z's. In any case $40k for a car isn't a whole lot nowadays.

LOL So you think $40k is too expensive for a "Nissan" and most would buy a premium brand for that amount? You do know that most "premium" branded cars cost a heck of a lot more than $40k right? And If we're talking strictly sport cars (which the Z is)? The price gap would be even greater.

Badge ******....

^ I wasn't sure if you were adressing my comment, but I am not saying I would go out and by a BMW for 40K instead of a 370Z. All I am saying is that the dealers are charging too much for the car, and I think when they realize they can't move it they will come closer to invoice.

I give Nissan a lot of credit because they make their MSRPs reasonable, but then like the whole GTR fiasco the dealers go and charge 20K over MSRP. Thats what pisses me off. Its the principal of the thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Actually, it's not the car. I hate to break it to all you 370 haters, but look at the sales figures for the last 6 months.

Date.....Sales........Prev Year...... % change
10/08....518..........1251.............-59
11/08....450..........1285.............-65
12/08....567..........1306.............-56
01/09....1280.........871..............+47
02/09....1452.........1092............+33
03/09....1652.........1308............+25

Sales of the 350 hadn't been above 1500 units since July 2007.

While sales of the remaining 350s and new 370s were good so far this year, Nissan recognizes that once the initial demand is satisified, the sales will drop. They need to average almost 2500 per month to sell 30K in a year, it's quite obvious they're never going to hit that mark this year. Common sense, good business practice, prudent planning, whatever you want to call it, dictates that the annual production be reduced.

The 370 will survive. The economy will turn around. They will sell a lot more. They're here to stay.

Stop hating the 370, it's the new model, they're part of the family. Get over it and learn to live with them. The same BS has happened with each of the previous generation of Zs. You girls aren't inventing anything new here.
Its a brand new model....of course there will be some initial hype. Give it 12 months and lets see where this is at.....
Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It stil amazes me that people think $40K for a car is cheap.....

No, these are not Ferraris, but what...maybe .00001% of the human population owns a Ferrari?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 AM
S8ER95Z

Considering ford and gm are trying to get ~30K for the Mustang and Camaro offerings... 40K is cheap for a sports car. Priced a Vette lately? The 'Budget' sports car offering from Chevy is a tick under 50K now.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by Lento
^ I wasn't sure if you were adressing my comment
No.. It wasn't directed at you.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
xNeo

Originally Posted by Lento
^Yea Kelly Nissan
Drove by yesterday, it's gone. I would never shop there anyway, they didn't take me seriously when I was buy my first Z, basically told me to go screw.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Lightemup

Smile Future production in trouble?

Could be worse: This could be the Pontiac owners forum!

Last edited by Lightemup; 04-28-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 AM
BrianV

Badge ******....
This was addressed at me.

You call it how you want, but it's a DIFFERENT landscape now than it was 10 years ago. First, the space is way more competitive. When the 300ZX, Supra, RX7, 3000GT all came out with high price tags, they were offering performance not available from companies like BMW, Mercedes, and there was no Lexus or Infiniti play in the sporty arena. Those cars offered the half-price Porsche concept.

Well it's all changed now. There are SO many awesome cars in the $30-40k range, even more so than when the original 350z came out. The 350z sold to a mass-market of people who wanted a sporty car at a reasonable price. It attracted females, males, young, old. The new 370z steps the ante-up (performance and price) and basically attracts people looking for a half-priced Porsche again.

The mass-market who bought the 350z because it was cute, affordable, and sporty, now have a plethora of cars to choose from. Also, there seems to be an increased demand for "premium" labels in just about everything (clothes, jewelry, etc.). My point being, the $30+K car market is consumed by contenders who make awesome cars.

This is my opinion, but the Z with options just gets too expensive now. For this kind of money, people are going to be attracted to "premium" labeled cars.

This is the same reason why the Pontiac G8 won't sell, why Maxima sales are down from where they once were, etc.

Last edited by BrianV; 04-28-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
st.clouds

Originally Posted by BrianV
This was addressed at me.

You call it how you want, but it's a DIFFERENT landscape now than it was 10 years ago. First, the space is way more competitive. When the 300ZX, Supra, RX7, 3000GT all came out with high price tags, they were offering performance not available from companies like BMW, Mercedes, and there was no Lexus or Infiniti play in the sporty arena. Those cars offered the half-price Porsche concept.

Well it's all changed now. There are SO many awesome cars in the $30-40k range, even more so than when the original 350z came out. The 350z sold to a mass-market of people who wanted a sporty car at a reasonable price. It attracted females, males, young, old. The new 370z steps the ante-up (performance and price) and basically attracts people looking for a half-priced Porsche again.

The mass-market who bought the 350z because it was cute, affordable, and sporty, now have a plethora of cars to choose from. Also, there seems to be an increased demand for "premium" labels in just about everything (clothes, jewelry, etc.). My point being, the $30+K car market is consumed by contenders who make awesome cars.

This is my opinion, but the Z with options just gets too expensive now. For this kind of money, people are going to be attracted to "premium" labeled cars.

This is the same reason why the Pontiac G8 won't sell, why Maxima sales are down from where they once were, etc.
Agree completely.

The 370z, except for base model, is priced a little out of reach from most buyers especially given the economic climate and the realization that most had been living beyond their means. Had the economy not tanked, the 370z pricing makes sense, but it tanked, and people lost 20-30% of their net worth.

The touring Z is priced above the g37 sedan. Is the added 3% performance of the Z enough to offset the lower priced, more prestigous and practical g37? I'd think not. A fully loaded Z is priced up there with the G37 Coupe, IS350 both of which are easily in the bmw 335i price range.

That being said, maxima is priced way too close to the g37 sedan also, that it just doesn't make sense to buy the maxima as opposed to the g37, especially given maxima FWD layout - none. Is it any wonder that Maxima isn't doing so well?

There's also heating competition from Hyundai Genesis and Chevy Camaro, which're not better cars than the Z, but are arguably more value for the money - and money is scarce these days. Not to mention there're future line ups such as the VW roadster which's extremely fuel efficient and looks like a lot of fun to drive.

Personally for a sports car to be affordable it should be priced in the upper 20k range, with fully loaded options coming in near the 30k mark.

As for Mustang... well... it's crap then and it still is. I can't stand the butt ugly look, or the live rear axle, or the ancient engines that perform as if they had 2 less cylinders. This American car is not something to be imitated, unless Nissan likes the idea of gov't bail out and near bk experience.

Lastly the 370z look could have been better. The proportion is tight, but the headlights just doesn't flow with the curves and look very disorienting. The B-Pillar is too retro and angular and doesn't fit well with the bulbous shape of the car. Not saying it looks worse than the 350z, because in some ways it looks refreshing, meaner and tighter, but in other ways, it's also less pleasant to the eyes. So it's really 2 steps forward, 1 step back in the look department.

Last edited by st.clouds; 04-28-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
blinkme323

In today's economic climate, 40k is a heck of a lot of money to spend on a car for the average working man. People are trying to find bargains anywhere they can. I'm not syaing the 370 isn't worth every penny, but it's just a bad market right now for Nissan's current price points.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM
zipgun

For those complaining on how the 370 Z's (or any new car) cost is too high...

This may be the one for you..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1123&viewitem=

just needs a little work is all...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Lento

Originally Posted by xNeo
Drove by yesterday, it's gone. I would never shop there anyway, they didn't take me seriously when I was buy my first Z, basically told me to go screw.
^ LOL same thing happened to me. They didn't take me seriously. They think there chit doesn't stink there or something. When my dad was buying a new car they quoted me 20K over MSRP for a GTR and told me that was a good price because they were going for $120,000 in New York.

I ended up going to Ira Nissan of Tewksberry for my Z, and gave them quite possibly the easiest sale of all time.

All they had to do was ship the car up from CT and have me sign the papers.