Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370Z 7 spd auto faster than 6 mt

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009 | 11:58 AM
lugrug

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I don't know why, but Nissan severely underrates that stat. The 5AT and 7AT transmissions shift a lot faster than that - something closer to .200-.250.

I guess Nissan doesn't want to advertise a lower shift-time figure so as to not kill sales of the 6MT.

That said, I am slowly warming up to the idea of a 370Z (White or Red, other colors look kinda ugly), but with a 6MT. I feel like Nissan has made enough changes to the manual transmission for it not to suck anymore, like the 350Z's MT.
I read it had something to do with actual full engagement vs perceived. I disagree with the 5AT being that fast cause I own one and it doesn't shift any faster than my Ford Expedition, certainly no where near as fast as the 7AT. As far I've heard, the 6MT's are basically the same between the 350Z and the 370Z with the exception of the rev match feature but haven't found hard documentation on that. The other problem with the 5AT was that it skipped shifts around 420 WHP and needed to be modded at that point. The slow shift also caused it to hit the rev limiter when you FI'ed the car.

Last edited by lugrug; 10-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2009 | 12:16 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by davidv
Oh boy. A Manual vs Automatic thread.
You mean this isnt the first one on the forum?
Old 10-05-2009 | 12:43 PM
Gee.Janus

yeah, .... the synchromesh.

Look, I've had my Z for less than a week now and did a 1000 mile trip to break her in and I'm finding that I turn the Synchromesh *off* more and more often now.

Its a great idea, I can appreciate what they have done, but its a another step on the way to the Nanny State. For f**k's sake, let us drive the car - not be driven. You might as well have a chauffeur if things keep on this way.

Thank the gods that they let us turn it off, along with all the other "aids" like VDC.

G
Old 10-05-2009 | 01:34 PM
monkey_zee

I have a base model 07, so I'm sure you can guess my view on all these helper devices. And I'm from the Playstation generation.
Off Topic: What was that game that seemed impossible to beat on manual mode because you couldn't use the nitrous (that was BS). Was it Midnight Club II?
Old 10-05-2009 | 04:21 PM
roast

gee.janus.. youre talking about synchro revmatch... something entirely different than referring to a synchromesh gearbox... but yes.. most of us know what you meant.
Old 10-05-2009 | 06:53 PM
TittieZ

Originally Posted by Monkey Z.
I have a base model 07, so I'm sure you can guess my view on all these helper devices. And I'm from the Playstation generation.
Off Topic: What was that game that seemed impossible to beat on manual mode because you couldn't use the nitrous (that was BS). Was it Midnight Club II?
Why don't ya stick to those video games, eh? make the world a safer place.
Old 10-05-2009 | 07:11 PM
SatchScream

Originally Posted by Gee.Janus
...but its a another step on the way to the Nanny State. For f**k's sake, let us drive the car - not be driven. You might as well have a chauffeur if things keep on this way.

Thank the gods that they let us turn it off, along with all the other "aids" like VDC.
+ A Bajillion.
Old 10-05-2009 | 07:59 PM
lugrug

They ruined driving when they added those fancy-pants "syncros" to transmissions. Before that men were men and gears were there to grind!!!!

Last edited by lugrug; 10-06-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2009 | 09:18 PM
Gee.Janus

"synchromesh" ..... oooppps, yes your are right, the auto heel-and-toe blipping is named "SynchroRev Match" in the colour brochure. My bad.
and to think I spent years learning, rather poorly I might add, to heel-and-toe and now its all replaced by a computer. I read somewhere that the ABS sensors detect the wheel speed, passes that to the ECU which determines which gear you are selecting and calculates the revs required to match the gear ratio and blips the engine appropiately. Apparently better than even a professioinal driver. hmmmm. It seems to work ok, but I am more and ore now deciding not to use it. But thats just me.

For the 2020 model there is the auto steering combobulator, the auto collision detector (already here on some cars in rudimentary way) and then the government mandates that all drivers are now redundant...take your seat in the passengers spot and listen to the safety announcement..."before takeoff, please fasten your setbelts...blah blah blah yada yada yada" .

...welcome to the Nanny State
Old 10-06-2009 | 05:37 PM
roast

Default synchro rev match...

... is the one feature I swore up and down that I would HATE about my new 370z and never use.

I had a 350z for 5 years that I tracked and I pretty much drove the car like I stole it. Rev-matching and heal-toe downshifting was second nature to me. It didnt matter if I was driving casually or pushing the limits, I didn't have to think about it. I just did it... and it felt good.

After taking ownership of the 370z... as I was driving away from the dealer I decided what the hell... I would try it out just to see how it worked... after all, it's enabled by default. I was so impressed with it that I never turned it off....

Now that I've been driving with it on for so long... when I turn it off I feel like a retard. You get so accustomed to it doing the dirty work for you, you never really acquire the feel for doing it manually. Granted, it's not hard to pick back up, and I could easily get into the habit of turning the system off every time I get in the car and force myself to get back into my old ways.... but that seems like more of a hassle and I really don't care either way. Having the system on doesn't seem to take away from my overall driving experience.... as crazy as that may be.

The only thing that worries me is a sensor failing at the worst possible time.

Overall... I think nissan nailed both transmissions this time. Hopefully we don't have any synchro issues like so many of the 350's had!

Last edited by roast; 10-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2009 | 06:19 PM
dchengmd

Why aren't all of you 6MT people bashing on ATs and synchrorevmatch also complaining about simply having SYNCHROS in your cars? After all, without synchromesh you'd all be required to perfect the art of double-clutching...
Old 10-06-2009 | 07:55 PM
TittieZ

Originally Posted by dchengmd
Why aren't all of you 6MT people bashing on ATs and synchrorevmatch also complaining about simply having SYNCHROS in your cars? After all, without synchromesh you'd all be required to perfect the art of double-clutching...
Mmm'kay that didn't make much sense to me, but I'm pretty sure that's the point. If you drive a 6MT, then it's a skill to be able shift smoothly yourself, you shouldn't need to have a Synchro do it for you.
Old 10-06-2009 | 08:06 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by lugrug
I read it had something to do with actual full engagement vs perceived. I disagree with the 5AT being that fast cause I own one and it doesn't shift any faster than my Ford Expedition, certainly no where near as fast as the 7AT. As far I've heard, the 6MT's are basically the same between the 350Z and the 370Z with the exception of the rev match feature but haven't found hard documentation on that. The other problem with the 5AT was that it skipped shifts around 420 WHP and needed to be modded at that point. The slow shift also caused it to hit the rev limiter when you FI'ed the car.
Dunno what's wrong with your Z (perhaps the year may have something to do with it), but every 2006+ 5AT I've been in and every 7AT I've sampled, including a 370Z and G37 Sedan, the shifts have been lightning quick. Even a friend with an R32 DSG agrees.

Regardless, Edmunds and many other publications have even called Nissan's 5AT and 7AT transmissions the best out there.
Old 10-06-2009 | 08:24 PM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by TittieZ
Mmm'kay that didn't make much sense to me, but I'm pretty sure that's the point. If you drive a 6MT, then it's a skill to be able shift smoothly yourself, you shouldn't need to have a Synchro do it for you.
You do know what double-clutching is and realize there's a difference between a synchro and SynchroRevMatch, right? If not, look it up.

Even if you turn off SynchroRevMatch, you've still got synchros in the 6MT transmission that are working and cannot be 'turned off'. Without them, you'd need to double-clutch virtually every gearshift to drive smoothly, which would certainly increase "driver involvement", wouldn't it? Almost all modern manual transmissions have synchros nowadays. Why aren't you guys complaining about that?

Last edited by dchengmd; 10-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009 | 08:39 PM
TittieZ

You do know what double-clutching is and realize there's a difference between a synchro and SynchroRevMatch, right? If not, look it up.

Even if you turn off SynchroRevMatch, you've still got synchros in the 6MT transmission that are working and cannot be 'turned off'. Without them, you'd need to double-clutch virtually every gearshift to drive smoothly, which would certainly increase "driver involvement", wouldn't it? Almost all modern manual transmissions have synchros nowadays. Why aren't you guys complaining about that?
Ohhh now I catch your drift. In my opinion, it's because those synchros aren't altering the way you shift in too big of a way. I mean it is in a big way, but not in a way that makes shifting absolutely foolproof. Even with those synchros, you still need some level of skill to be able to aptly drive the Z 6MT.
Old 10-06-2009 | 08:51 PM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by TittieZ
Ohhh now I catch your drift. In my opinion, it's because those synchros aren't altering the way you shift in too big of a way. I mean it is in a big way, but not in a way that makes shifting absolutely foolproof. Even with those synchros, you still need some level of skill to be able to aptly drive the Z 6MT.
Hell yes the synchros "alter the way you shift in a big way". Without them, you'd need to manually "synchronize" the rotational speed of the input shaft with the next gear you've selected by engaging the clutch, shifting into neutral, releasing the clutch, blip the throttle, engage the clutch, put it in the next gear, and disengage - otherwise you end up with a lot of lurching and wear on your drivetrain with every shift.

It takes a fair amount skill to do this quickly and well. For those of you complaining that ATs, sequentials, and dual-clutch systems take away from that level of driver involvement/experience, I've got news for you: you're as much of a poser with your modern manual transmissions with built-in synchromesh systems that make double-clutching obsolete.

Last edited by dchengmd; 10-06-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2009 | 09:02 PM
TittieZ

Hell yes the synchros "alter the way you shift in a big way". Without them, you'd need to manually "synchronize" the rotational speed of the input shaft with the next gear you've selected by engaging the clutch, shifting into neutral, releasing the clutch, blip the throttle, engage the clutch, put it in the next gear, and disengage - otherwise you end up with a lot of lurching and wear on your drivetrain with every shift.

It takes a fair amount skill to do this quickly and well. For those of you complaining that ATs, sequentials, and dual-clutch systems take away from that level of driver involvement/experience, I've got news for you: you're as much of a poser with your modern manual transmissions with built-in synchromesh systems that make double-clutching obsolete.
That's a very valid argument, but at the same time, it's not like the Z is the first car to have those synchros, but it is the first to have the SyncroRev, which, also in my opinion, takes even more of the experience away. With the SynchroRev, you might as well have synchros like they use in nascar, so you wouldn't even need to deal with a clutch...
Old 10-07-2009 | 08:42 AM
lugrug

Dunno what's wrong with your Z (perhaps the year may have something to do with it), but every 2006+ 5AT I've been in and every 7AT I've sampled, including a 370Z and G37 Sedan, the shifts have been lightning quick. Even a friend with an R32 DSG agrees.

Regardless, Edmunds and many other publications have even called Nissan's 5AT and 7AT transmissions the best out there.
Mine is a 2006. Shifted just like any other slush bucket from day one. I've read several places that the new 7AT has trimmed down the shift time by a significant amount and it's rated at 500 milliseconds for full lock up.
Old 10-07-2009 | 11:29 AM
SniperHunter

Dunno what's wrong with your car, then. This is the only automatic I've driven that I couldn't call a slushbox.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:45 PM
lugrug

Dunno what's wrong with your car, then. This is the only automatic I've driven that I couldn't call a slushbox.
https://my350z.com/MagazineArticles/...rivetrain.aspx

Article about improvements in the 7AT. Can't currently find any stats on the 5AT but have read up to 1 sec full lockup in the past ( that seems a bit high to me but full lockup may mean something else to the reviewer). I do know that lots of folks have had trouble when they F.I.ed the autos because the delay in shift speed causes the rev limit to be hit. The fix is generally a throttle body upgrade and/or programing the rev limit up to around 8000 rpm.
linky: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ease-read.html

Last edited by lugrug; 10-07-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 370Z 7 spd auto faster than 6 mt