Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:04 AM
whosdady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

To the best of my knowledge there is only one memeber (Max)that has absolutley no issues shifting in full auto mode. Max has larger injectors and also a rasied rev limiter thanks to TechnoSquare.

After speaking with Tadashi he has requested that I try to locate a 5AT owner with forced induction, so he may see if raising the rev limiter is the key. It would be nice to locate someone near southern CA that can drive their car to Tadashi to have him see it in person.

Anyone who has some sort of F/I and a 5AT (automatic transmission), please post here and let me know if you have shifting issues and whether or not you would be intersted in driving your car to TechnoSquare. This would obviously benefit you and everyone else who has any issues shifting in full auto mode.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 AM
z33boi

i thought a new valve body should fix the shifting problem....but im not sure
Old 03-18-2004, 07:40 AM
whosdady

Default Not Sure

Originally posted by z33boi
i thought a new valve body should fix the shifting problem....but im not sure
I don't know anyone with F/I who has done this. If someone has please let me know. I only know of N/A guys who have done it.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:54 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im getting my vortech in a week or so. Im having Technosqaure flash me back to stock...except the rev limiter and the throttle body 100% open at WOT . I pmed Max about it and he seems to think thats the key. I hope it is. I wont find out for a few weeks after install...untill Im comfortable that Im not going to go BOOM
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
More Power

Default Re: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

Originally posted by whosdady
To the best of my knowledge there is only one memeber (Max)that has absolutley no issues shifting in full auto mode. Max has larger injectors and also a rasied rev limiter thanks to TechnoSquare.

After speaking with Tadashi he has requested that I try to locate a 5AT owner with forced induction, so he may see if raising the rev limiter is the key. It would be nice to locate someone near southern CA that can drive their car to Tadashi to have him see it in person.

Anyone who has some sort of F/I and a 5AT (automatic transmission), please post here and let me know if you have shifting issues and whether or not you would be intersted in driving your car to TechnoSquare. This would obviously benefit you and everyone else who has any issues shifting in full auto mode.
Dream Workes says you can have the 350Z auto tranny with their positive displacement supercharger. They say they modify the ECU so that the auto tranny shifts quicker, firmer, and it does shift before hitting the rev limiter in auto mode. (I've heard the reports Vortech’s kit causes auto tranny to hit rev limiter if in full auto mode, but not a problem if use triptronic.)

I'm sure many on this board will agree that Dream Workes is new so we do not have long term experience, yet, with which to rate their products or their claims which I have posted here. Only time will tell. But their kit looks good enough on paper that I think it’s worth keeping your eye on to see if it lives up to the hype.

www://dreamworkes.com
Old 03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
More Power

I have heard from many sources (including first hand discussions with Level 10 staff) that Level 10 in NJ can beef up the 350Z auto tranny to handle the increased power of FI (up to and over 600 hp they say), increase efficiency so that you get as much or more power to the wheels as the manual tranny, get quicker, firmer, more positive shifts, and they say they can increase the stall speed a bit for better off the line launches. Especially improved are quicker, firmer downshifts in both auto and triptronic modes. I have heard a lot of positive feedback from their customers about their services, but I have also noted some posts on some of these My350Z forums that were not totally enthusiastic about Level 10. Since I am considering using them myself, I would appreciate any and all opinions about Level 10, pro and con, the quality and effectiveness of their products, workmanship, customer service, and how well they stand behind their work. I really appreciate your starting this thread. It is just as important that our 350 Z auto trannys be able to handle the increased power of FI as it is getting the More Power itself. (Though it hurts me to admit it, ha.) Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Mean Gene

Talking Not F/I - YET!

Here's my feedback on Level 10.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...psed&sb=5&part=
Old 03-19-2004, 12:50 AM
350zer

Default Re: Re: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

Originally posted by More Power
Dream Workes says you can have the 350Z auto tranny with their positive displacement supercharger. They say they modify the ECU so that the auto tranny shifts quicker, firmer, and it does shift before hitting the rev limiter in auto mode. (I've heard the reports Vortech’s kit causes auto tranny to hit rev limiter if in full auto mode, but not a problem if use triptronic.)

I'm sure many on this board will agree that Dream Workes is new so we do not have long term experience, yet, with which to rate their products or their claims which I have posted here. Only time will tell. But their kit looks good enough on paper that I think it’s worth keeping your eye on to see if it lives up to the hype.

maybe that will tell you that they don't really exist. you can only change shifting by modifying the valve body on toyota and nissan. you can even ask level 10 that. so i don't think they have figured out how to make it work through the ecu.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:56 AM
350zer

Default Re: Re: Re: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

i have a shop that is going to modify my valve body here in so cal. the only problem is i haven't had the time to take my car to them. maybe in the next week or two i can get it to them . i don't recomend level 10 they did my toyota. i would be willing to go to technosquare and let him try to play with my ecu. i have vortech kit

Last edited by 350zer; 03-19-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 AM
whosdady

350zer,
I'm not sure if you had a MKIV Single Turbo Supra before this car? I did and yes there were many problems with other Supra owners that used level 10. (I didn't use them becasue I had a 6MT.) However, I will say the shop that installed my S/C on my 350Z spoke very highly of them and said they are the best in the business right now.

As of a month ago, level 10 told me they had not installed/preformed the valve body upgrade on any cars that had F/I. Initially they did tell me they had and I asked if I could speak with the owner to get his impressions. They later informed me they hadn't done any. This is the main reason why I have held off. They also wouldn't offer any discount for being the first.

I personally feel the ECU when modified by technosquare will work perfectly, as Max's does. However, adding the valve body and a converter will make it even better as far as quickness, efficency and hard launches. I honestly can't believe we have 10+ F/I 5 AT's here and no one has done a torque converter or valve body upgrade. Will someone please hurry up so I will feel better about dong mine.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:31 PM
More Power

Default Re: Re: Re: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

Originally posted by 350zer
maybe that will tell you that they don't really exist. you can only change shifting by modifying the valve body on toyota and nissan. you can even ask level 10 that. so i don't think they have figured out how to make it work through the ecu.
In fairness to Dream Workes, I should say that I mentioned to Goran (not an engineer) of Dream Workes that I may have Level 10 beef up my transmission in anticipation of forced induction.. He said that might conflict with Dream Workes modification of the ECU when they install a supercharger – which Goran did say modified the AT’s shift points. (I hear you when you say the ECU does not control the shift points and thanks for the info.) But, he did say he would discuss this with the real engineers at Dream Workes and let me know when I call back. Now, I’ve always been a manual tranny guy and am getting an AT in my 350Z because of a tendon injury to my left (clutch, dam the luck) ankle. So I know a lot more about forced induction than ATs, though I realize that racing ATs are probably the best set up for qtr. mile racing. So I didn’t know about the ECU interactions or absence thereof with the AT when Goran brought that up. Some of the other posts on this thread seem to indicate there is some interaction between the ECU and the AT. So basically what is the deal with this and what should I know to discuss AT upgrades with tranny shops for forced induction for the 350Z. I know the issue about some FI kits are causing hits against the rev limiter before shifting and understand how quicker firmer AT shifts might alleviate this problem. Getting up to speed on performance ATs for forced induction is partly why I’m using this forum, so thanks for any and all ECU/AT info. I need the info when I call Goran back on this point. I’ll report back what he says, if you’re interested.

In reference to whosdady’s post, Level 10 mentioned that they had done a lot of 300 ZX TTs and they said the 350Z’s AT is basically the same tranny as the 300Z TTs with the extra gear added to make it a 5 speed. Again, I don’t know that much about ATs or whether this is a true statement or not. What do you guys think. Is the TT experience close enough or BS. Again, thanks for the info, as I also don’t really want to be the guinea pig if level 10 has not done any 350Z AT work for forced induction. Especially without a major discount as mentioned. Is there an AT shop that is good anywhere close to the MD area if you guys don’t recommend level 10 for forced induction upgrades under the circumstances? I definitely want to get the type of upgrades to my 350Z AT that level 10 mentioned. I couldn’t get Mean Gene’s link to work, but I can probably find his posts with a search.

I have a wait and see attitude about Dream Workes and all the hype on their supercharger for the Z. I have not preordered or given them any money. Only time will give us the bottom line on their legitimacy, quality, and performance.

Last edited by More Power; 03-20-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:48 PM
More Power

I do understand the skepticism that some of you guys have about Dream Workes, though, as I have some skepticism as well.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
whosdady

How about some more 5AT's that have shifting issues... Lets at least see how many poeple have F/I and a 5AT. G or Z, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:41 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Default Re: Re: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

According to the info I've read in the 350Z and G35 service manuals, the ECU has limited input into how the AT acts. The majority of AT control is done by the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Hopefully Dream Workes knows this.

DaveO
2003 G35 Sedan / DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust
Old 03-22-2004, 08:23 AM
whosdady

Davo is correct about the TCM in general. However, for those of us that have gone F/I, IMO (looking at Max's outcome) the ECU reflash may resolve most of the issues we are having with shifting in full auto mode..
Old 03-22-2004, 12:46 PM
More Power

Thanks for all the info regarding the ECU, TCM, and AT. More complicated than I had hoped and a lot to sort out, but now I know a bit more about what the issues we're dealing with. And deal with them we must. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:51 PM
whosdady

I thought I would let you know that I spoke to Edge Racing this morning and felt very comfortable with their converter. In fact, if I end up keeping this car I will probably get the converter from them and the valve body from level 10. This is only because Edge doesn't make a valve body upgrade yet.

It was also mentioned that the converter will not make any shifting problems worse. Assuming the ECU flash works the converter will make these autos pretty mean...
Old 03-22-2004, 02:11 PM
zparts

Dream Workes says you can have the 350Z auto tranny with their positive displacement supercharger. They say they modify the ECU so that the auto tranny shifts quicker, firmer, and it does shift before hitting the rev limiter in auto mode.
WOW!!! Technosquare can't even modify this and they are one of the top ECU tuners...

(note the sarcasm...)
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys

I have the Edge TC done as I am anticipating the PE TT install to happen within the next 2 weeks. So we'll know soon enough.

Also, TS will NOT be making any alterations to the ECU to change shiftpoints, as there is nothing to alter in the ECU (as per TOdashi). The shifting takes place in the TCM. I would guess that the limited ECU input that was mentioned above that goes into the TCM is the signal of "load", which helps determine where the shiftpoints should be.

Gurgen
Old 03-22-2004, 08:45 PM
350zer

Originally posted by whosdady
I thought I would let you know that I spoke to Edge Racing this morning and felt very comfortable with their converter. In fact, if I end up keeping this car I will probably get the converter from them and the valve body from level 10. This is only because Edge doesn't make a valve body upgrade yet.

It was also mentioned that the converter will not make any shifting problems worse. Assuming the ECU flash works the converter will make these autos pretty mean...

called technosquare today and he said he would like to try a few things with my car. looks like i will go there on wednesday. i still haven't had time to leave my car with the tranny guy for the valve body mod yet. its 2 hours away and he wants it for 2 to3 days. maybe next week.

Quick Reply: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read