Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Test drove a new 370z touring yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
scrapser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the 370 Touring and I have an 06 Touring as well. My sentiments match the OP's and I did punch it (scared the sales rep when I did). I know a lot of people like this car but for me it just plain sucks inside and out. I'm waiting for whatever they come up with next. I can afford to. My car is over 3.5 years old, clear title, and I still have under 20K miles on it. Looks like I bought it yesterday! Love the 350Z.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
elms350Z

I'm coming from an 05 DE. And I agree with the OP, during the test drive and even now the car isn't as peppy below 3k. It feels like the ECU is purposely holding the power back for a smoother ride. It's no longer jerky but its also boring to drive below 3k. That is the one thing I miss the most about my 350. But coming from a DE the 370 is MUCH quicker.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
angelzhope720

370 is so nice.. but i'd rather drive a modded 350 than a stock 350
Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scrapser
I test drove the 370 Touring and I have an 06 Touring as well. My sentiments match the OP's and I did punch it (scared the sales rep when I did). I know a lot of people like this car but for me it just plain sucks inside and out. I'm waiting for whatever they come up with next. I can afford to. My car is over 3.5 years old, clear title, and I still have under 20K miles on it. Looks like I bought it yesterday! Love the 350Z.
While I certainly respect that you are entitled to your opinion about the 370Z I'm perplexed as to how you think the interior of the 370Z sucks. The 370Z interior is much nicer than the 350Z interior.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPirate
While I certainly respect that you are entitled to your opinion about the 370Z I'm perplexed as to how you think the interior of the 370Z sucks. The 370Z interior is much nicer than the 350Z interior.
Both interiors are cool.

350Z: I like the simplicity and lack of clutter.

370Z: I like the materials, but dislike all the gizmos. LED fuel level. LED coolant temperature. Square information clusters stuck inside of round analog gages. Nissan went with "more stuff is better." More stuff is not better it is just more.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we can all agree that the 370 has a better dipstick!!!!
I was so excited to pull it out, read it and then put it back in without needing a map to find the tube. Ah. The small pleasures in life!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
jake0212@hotmai

I have been driving my 09 370 for a month now, used to drive a 05 touring. I can't tell you how much better in power this car has. the VVEL is insane after passing 4.5 / 5k RPM. And the butt dyno feels like nothing because they refined the suspension and interior of the car so now it feels semi durable compare as to the bumpyness of the 350Z. You don't feel the sudden pull when you step on it because they have refined it to accelerate smoothly. It's just overall such a well built car. Looks great too. bigass rotors with 19in rays eng wheels.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I think we can all agree that the 370 has a better dipstick!!!!
I was so excited to pull it out, read it and then put it back in without needing a map to find the tube. Ah. The small pleasures in life!
That alone is probably worth the money. I hate my dipstick on my 03. I remember when I first tried to read my oil level. It took me good 10 tries before I got 2 consistent readings. The 350Z oil dipstick is a joke.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
scrapser

The material used in the 370 is certainly an improvement but the overall design and layout of controls is messy. Plus they did some really dumb things in my opinion.

1. One of the three gauges on the dash is now a dedicated clock! What a waste.
2. No longer have oil pressure...replaced with oil temperature. So your oil pressure drops (losing oil) but you don't know it until the temperature starts climbing. Almost as good as an idiot light.
3. Water temp is buried in the LCD gizmo where you also have to look for fuel level.
4. Analog speedometer is there but it does not stand out readily. I had to look for it.
5. No digital speedometer.
6. LCD thingy is on the left side of the steering column away from most of the other instruments you most often scan. Not a big deal but an annoyance to me.
7. Overall dashboard is much more vertical...made me feel like I was sitting in front of a wall. I like the slope style of the 350 interior.

The 370 is not as ergonomic nor is it all that intuitive.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
scrapser

Originally Posted by jake0212@hotmai
I have been driving my 09 370 for a month now, used to drive a 05 touring. I can't tell you how much better in power this car has. the VVEL is insane after passing 4.5 / 5k RPM. And the butt dyno feels like nothing because they refined the suspension and interior of the car so now it feels semi durable compare as to the bumpyness of the 350Z. You don't feel the sudden pull when you step on it because they have refined it to accelerate smoothly. It's just overall such a well built car. Looks great too. bigass rotors with 19in rays eng wheels.
This appears to support the earlier post that the car is pretty lame at 3K or less RPM. In short, you have to be driving pretty fast to experience the power improvement. Most cars are designed to drive around 3K rpm give or take so the majority of the time you are driving a Buick with a nice, quiet, comfortable ride. That was my impression driving the 370Z.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by scrapser
The material used in the 370 is certainly an improvement but the overall design and layout of controls is messy. Plus they did some really dumb things in my opinion.

1. One of the three gauges on the dash is now a dedicated clock! What a waste.
2. No longer have oil pressure...replaced with oil temperature. So your oil pressure drops (losing oil) but you don't know it until the temperature starts climbing. Almost as good as an idiot light.
3. Water temp is buried in the LCD gizmo where you also have to look for fuel level.
4. Analog speedometer is there but it does not stand out readily. I had to look for it.
5. No digital speedometer.
6. LCD thingy is on the left side of the steering column away from most of the other instruments you most often scan. Not a big deal but an annoyance to me.
7. Overall dashboard is much more vertical...made me feel like I was sitting in front of a wall. I like the slope style of the 350 interior.

The 370 is not as ergonomic nor is it all that intuitive.
Now I understand where you are coming from and I agree with most of your points about the 370Z's interior. Still the overall materials used in the 370Z are much nicer than the materials 350Z.

1. I don't care for the dedicated clock either.
2. I liked the oil pressure guage too, although I like the oil temp guage as well. It would be nice to have both.
3. Water temp guages on the 350Z and the 370Z are both useless. That's one reason I use a Scangauge. That way I always have coolant temp and IAT's available to me.
4. and 5. I miss the digital speedometer from the 350Z as well as the location of the trip computer.
6. I like the larger readout of the 370Z LCD.
7. The hood sticks out more to me than the dash. The hood sits up higher in the 370Z than in the 350Z.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
scrapser

Now I understand where you are coming from and I agree with most of your points about the 370Z's interior. Still the overall materials used in the 370Z are much nicer than the materials 350Z.

1. I don't care for the dedicated clock either.
2. I liked the oil pressure guage too, although I like the oil temp guage as well. It would be nice to have both.
3. Water temp guages on the 350Z and the 370Z are both useless. That's one reason I use a Scangauge. That way I always have coolant temp and IAT's available to me.
4. and 5. I miss the digital speedometer from the 350Z as well as the location of the trip computer.
6. I like the larger readout of the 370Z LCD.
7. The hood sticks out more to me than the dash. The hood sits up higher in the 370Z than in the 350Z.
I don't like the hood line sticking up in front of me either. I know it's there for some safety requirement but it really makes the car look stout and sort of pug-nosed in profile. I hope Nissan comes up with a more creative way to blend it into the car's overall appearance in future models.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 PM
ChuckD05

i had a full na bolt on g35. When i give people rides in the 370z some people think that my g35 was quicker just by short test drives not revving the car to redline just crusing around spirited. The low end tourque on the DEs are very noticable at very low RPMS.. the vvel on the 370z has two phases and to be honest with you if your not taking the 370 to 7500 you cant really say anything, it picks up around 5k than at 6500 it starts pulling HARD. The power is so much smoother and its night and day in comparison in speed. The DEs are jerky and tourquey down low and it makes them "feel faster" but the truth is the 370z is superior in speed by a good amount.

I know for sure that my stock 370z was about 2-3 car lenghts faster than my g35 was with full bolt ons & tune that put down very good hp on three different dynos avg about 285 (03 de). I now have a few things done and its certainly improved.

Its refined, smoother, and just overall better. no doubt about it.

the comments and looks i get in the 370z is just as annoying as it was in my s2000 in 2001 when no one knew what the hell they were.
I dig the look a ton but thats all personal preference.. since owning the 370z I have come to like it even more.. at certain angles the car just looks so damn sexy and mean at the same time. The Touring interior on the 370z is about as much as you can ask for out of a sports car interior.

I love the damn thing.... I love the 350s and g35s too.. its sad to see so many 350z people hating on the 370z.

my bro has a 03 ppw touring 350z with rims/tint i have a pw 09 370z , both brothers rocking white Zs, I am the older bro wit the 370, kinda funny

Last edited by ChuckD05; 12-17-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

I did. Sold it after 3 years of ownership and bought a 370Z. I just like Zs more.
I tried to but couldn't pull the trigger. How is the 370 compared to the C6?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM
SatchScream

I don't get all the complaints about the power of the new Z, I test drove one a few days ago, and I must say, it feels much, much quicker than my 03. Maybe going from the DE to the VHR is more easily noticed than going from the HR. I really don't know, but to me, it's a huge difference, I want one.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

for you people complaining about not having the oil pressure gauge in the 370, its worthless. that is why they removed it. had less than 2 quarts of oil in my motor when it blew the last time. oil pressure was reading fine the entire time.

as for low end grunt, lol you are kidding yourselves if you think the DE has more torque go look at the freakin dynos. my g37s coupe has more power down low and up top then my n/a Z ever had. stop trying to hate to make yourselves feel better about your car. the 370z is superior, get over it and stop making up fantasies to make yourself feel better, lulz.

Last edited by Nexx; 12-20-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by Chaser720
I tried to but couldn't pull the trigger. How is the 370 compared to the C6?
They are really two entirely different cars. I have always preferred the smaller more intimate cockpit and overall size of the Zs. The C6 is wider and longer and it feels that way on the road even though it's actually lighter than the 350Z and the 370Z. The Vette's size makes it a great grand tourer, but not as much fun as a sports car.

All that being said, my biggest complaints with the C6 were always the interior (and mine was a 3LT) and the lack of feel and feedback. My C6 was a 2006 and from the first time I drove it I was not impressed with the steering. It was vague and provided little feedback compared with my 350Z. The shifter was also notchy and clunky compared to the Zs.

No question the C6 is a fast, powerful, good handling car with serious performance capabilities. I just never felt as comfortable with it as I do the Zs. I didn't enjoy driving it like I do my Zs. To me the overall driving experience is the most critical factor in whether I like a car or not.

As for the 370Z the interior materials are much nicer than the C6 and the 350Z. While the car doesn't have the horsepower and especially the torque of the C6 it's still a very quick car. And the Sport package makes it even better. I have been impressed with car straight from the factory. So far I've added Stillen sway bars and a Borla exhaust and the car is even better.

It's not an easy decision because I've been there. I always wanted a Corvette so I had to have one. Like I said before the C6 is a nice car, but it's different than the Zs. In my opinion it really boils down to what you like in a car.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM
matth76

Originally Posted by Nexx
for you people complaining about not having the oil pressure gauge in the 370, its worthless. that is why they removed it. had less than 2 quarts of oil in my motor when it blew the last time. oil pressure was reading fine the entire time.

as for low end grunt, lol you are kidding yourselves if you think the DE has more torque go look at the freakin dynos. my g37s coupe has more power down low and up top then my n/a Z ever had. stop trying to hate to make yourselves feel better about your car. the 370z is superior, get over it and stop making up fantasies to make yourself feel better, lulz.
I do agree the 370z is by far the better car in my opinion quality wise and performance wise. And I like the edition of the oil temp as opposed to pressure. My old golf vr6 had an oil temp and it was perfect for using for knowing when the engine was properly warmed up or if anything was wrong. Oil pressure will only tell you something is wrong at the last second when it is too late.

However people are entitled to their own opinion preferring their current 350z, people that are on the verge of buying one do not have any need to big up their current 350 if they have the money to get the new 370 but are put off if they aren't 100% convinced.

On paper the 370z actually has the same torque as the 03-05 DE motor, 274 lbs/ft and the more even spread of it across a larger rev range in the 370z could account for the lack of difference in "feel" low down the rev range. Both are very very nice cars If it was me I would swap my 350 in a moment for a 370.

Last edited by matth76; 12-21-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by matth76
I do agree the 370z is by far the better car in my opinion quality wise and performance wise. And I like the edition of the oil temp as opposed to pressure. My old golf vr6 had an oil temp and it was perfect for using for knowing when the engine was properly warmed up or if anything was wrong. Oil pressure will only tell you something is wrong at the last second when it is too late.

However people are entitled to their own opinion preferring their current 350z, people that are on the verge of buying one do not have any need to big up their current 350 if they have the money to get the new 370 but are put off if they aren't 100% convinced.

On paper the 370z actually has the same torque as the 03-05 DE motor, 274 lbs/ft and the more even spread of it across a larger rev range in the 370z could account for the lack of difference in "feel" low down the rev range. Both are very very nice cars If it was me I would swap my 350 in a moment for a 370.
but in reality it doesnt...

lololol, you guys need to get your butt dyno's recalibrated because they arent working right.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nexx
lololol, you guys need to get your butt dyno's recalibrated because they arent working right.
I think it's the higher rev limit that throws people off to be honest. I rode in my cousins 07 Z and my butt dyno tells me its more powerful but it still throws me off when the RPMs climbing further than I'm used to

Quick Reply: Test drove a new 370z touring yesterday