Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Test drove E92 M3, Audi S5, and 370Z. Likely trading in 350Z for 370Z.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AznKaos15
And because of that, you "know" BMW's will hardly ever rattle?
C'mon man. stop generalizing.
Factors such as owners and road conditions play a major role in the condition of the car, down to the rattle.
Also, did you purposely drive those cars just to listen for rattles? I have driven a lot of differents cars and one
thing I can tell you is, if it wasn't mine, it was rattle free.

At the end of the day, get what you like. No need to fish for other people's opinions.
Everything is going to be a generalization, unless I drive every BMW on the road. My experience is anecdotal. Because my friend/next door neighbor owns a used car lot, I've seen a ton of used BMWs come and go, since he often brings them home all the time. He even bought a 1988 3-series, not a rattle to be heard, despite being 22 years old. Many of these cars are North East cars, NY, NJ, MA and CT. I can go down a list of BMWs I've driven over the summer, just because of him, and not one had any significant problems. Likewise, he's bought various older Audis and Benzes, and all of them were squeaky and rattly messes, no matter their aesthetic or mechanical condition.

I'm also not fishing for opinions. I was actually only posting my own; posting my experiences with the cars I drove. I don't understand why you seem bothered by what I wrote, dude.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 11-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
AznKaos15

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I'm also not fishing for opinions. I was actually only posting my own; posting my experiences with the cars I drove. I don't understand why you seem bothered by what I wrote, dude.

I'm not being bothered dude. Relax.
All I am saying is rattling is inevitable, especially with the roads here.
Also, no one will purposely hunt for rattles in cars that are not theirs unless it sounds like an NYC cab.

Since you already decided on the 370, take me for a ride when you get it.
Maybe I will forget about the way the lights look and think about getting one too.
See you Wednesday.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
You are basing this on? Have you owned both a bmw and a Z over a period of time? Have you spent significant time in both? Do you find yourself biased since you own a Z? Are you slightly defensive in you opionions?

If you care/are interested in major auto mag's reviews of nissans and bmw's for instance, you will find that one major plus for the nissan Z's and GTR's are value and performance. But one major critique is lack of overall refinement and issues with interior quality/rattles. A car and driver article mentioned the GTR would be a top choice for those that are primarily concerned with raw power (supercar power without supercar pricetag), but the reviewers complained of interior creaks/rattles and weird transmission sounds-the $84k GTR is still a Nissan after all (I'm not hating here, I'm a fan of Nissans and would love to own a GTR or a 370z). The M3, although without the raw power of the GTR, was described as more desirable long term for overall quality, feel, and drive.

That being said I am fairly sure you may find a rattle in almost every brand/make of car. However, some makes may offer superior packaging/quality/refinement over others. There are usually always compromises/sacrifices in various areas of particular cars. The question is which ones matter to you? and how much are you willing to spend? These are the consumers' choices to make.

These generalizations are for the most part worthless anyhow.

I do agree with the above poster in that you should get what you want. I would be happy with either one of the cars mentioned in the thread title.
Car and Driver are BMW nuthuggers. Just saying.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM
*Boose*

Everything is going to be a generalization, unless I drive every BMW on the road. My experience is anecdotal. Because my friend/next door neighbor owns a used car lot, I've seen a ton of used BMWs come and go, since he often brings them home all the time. He even bought a 1988 3-series, not a rattle to be heard, despite being 22 years old. Many of these cars are North East cars, NY, NJ, MA and CT. I can go down a list of BMWs I've driven over the summer, just because of him, and not one had any significant problems. Likewise, he's bought various older Audis and Benzes, and all of them were squeaky and rattly messes, no matter their aesthetic or mechanical condition.

Rattles, creaks, moans, and groans all come down to previous owners care and maintenance. My wife drives a G35 that doesn't make a sound at all. Even on her dunlops you barely hear any road noise. Now my Z makes noises from the hatch area and my dunlops are loud as ****.

However when I test drove an Audi it was horribly maintained and made a noise from every angle. Does that mean all Audi's are like that? no. I've driven hundreds of other cars that made no noises from 3 series bmw's, to cadillacs, to minivans, to dodge neons. Some make noises some don't. All it takes is proper care and maintenance to avoid hearing things.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by AznKaos15
Also, no one will purposely hunt for rattles in cars that are not theirs unless it sounds like an NYC cab.
I have a disease. I do. =)

Every car I step into, that's usually the first thing I start doing, listening for rattles. Swear to God on that one.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

rattles were one of the reasons I got rid of the 350z. got tired of spending time trying to isolate all the rattles that kept popping up. eventually I had to turn my music up or drive in higher rpms all the time .. just wasnt enjoyable anymore. lol
Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 PM
power2rice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the 350z rattles quite a lot. However I can pin point exactly where they all come from:

1 rear view mirror, the whole plastic assembly creaks including the buttons. you must take apart and silicone it inside including the buttons so that it cannot creak.

2 the plastic that hides the wire of the rear view mirror, it vibrates,, get rid of it.

3, driver door panel, over time it developes a creak, you have to take it off and and apply vasaline in many places including removing the arm rest portion and applying vasaline.

4 rear paneling that covers the z and the panels around it, open and again vasaline them and the clips that go in. they squeak over time from chassis flex.

5 passenger side pop out cup holder, vasaline that too, it squeaks.

as for 370z being smaller interior than the 350z? the head room is higher, the seat pushes back further, so i know the 370z has more leg room and head room for taller people. it's the 350z that is cramp... plus the strut bar is gone so theres more "usable" storage room in the back. theres also better storage behind the seats too now. overall the 370z is refined much nicer.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, you chose a 370Z over a M3 and audi S5? That's like choosing skater chick over a refined hot model. The M3 & S5 are leaps and bounds better than the 370z. You should have test driven more practical cars like a new mustang, camaro, evo, etc., cars the 370z is classed with.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
neight

interesting write up... I have driven all three at my valet job, albeit not for very long . I do think the 370 is a different class; more of an edgy sports coupe where the others are high powered luxury sports. the 370 seems like a big step up from the 350 though.

Last edited by neight; 11-05-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Wait, you chose a 370Z over a M3 and audi S5? That's like choosing skater chick over a refined hot model. The M3 & S5 are leaps and bounds better than the 370z. You should have test driven more practical cars like a new mustang, camaro, evo, etc., cars the 370z is classed with.
The 370Z gives me a mix of both worlds, on top of saving me $20K in the process. Aside from looking cool, it gives me the nice interior that I love about the Audi and the performance/agility I enjoyed about the M3. Yes, it's not quite up there in quality as the S5 or speed like the M3, but it's pretty much the perfect middle ground. Those cars you just mentioned at the end, all of them have some pretty disastrous interiors. As I mentioned before, the Mustang's interior may be tight as far as fit and finish, but it still looks simply dated and ugly. I won't even start on the Camaro.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 11-06-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:59 PM
DriftWell

370 is the best bang for your buck
Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
rattles were one of the reasons I got rid of the 350z. got tired of spending time trying to isolate all the rattles that kept popping up. eventually I had to turn my music up or drive in higher rpms all the time .. just wasnt enjoyable anymore. lol
i've only had a few rattles. they come and go and it doesn't really bother me. but when it's there i just tune them out and blast my musicccc!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
SniperHunter

I test drove a 6MT (non-sport) 370Z today and encountered something odd. I went for 3rd gear, thought I had it...but I'm in neutral. Uhh, weird. I try to put it in 3rd and it seems like there's a wall preventing me. So I put it in 4th just fine and kept going. But I was concerned. Later I tried third again, and the same result. I eventually decided to just try to see if it'll go to third by applying a little more pressure...and it sure did, no problem or grinding.

Now, I went and started up another 370Z (with Sport Package) and it didn't have this issue. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
tranceformer95

I test drove a 6MT (non-sport) 370Z today and encountered something odd. I went for 3rd gear, thought I had it...but I'm in neutral. Uhh, weird. I try to put it in 3rd and it seems like there's a wall preventing me. So I put it in 4th just fine and kept going. But I was concerned. Later I tried third again, and the same result. I eventually decided to just try to see if it'll go to third by applying a little more pressure...and it sure did, no problem or grinding.

Now, I went and started up another 370Z (with Sport Package) and it didn't have this issue. Has anyone else experienced this?
No problem here so far. Although tonight the clutch pedal stuck to the floor at the track.

Was that car a demo car?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 PM
SniperHunter

No actually. It did have 39 miles on it. But, weirdly enough, it was the demo car with 6K miles on it that engaged gears just fine.

After some poking around on the 370Z forums, it seems like it's a break-in issue and should go away with time. Kind of odd, if true.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've been in an E92, vs the E46 for example, you'll notice BMW chose much cheaper plastics for the components (IMHO). That being said, 3 series have never been known to be interior trend setters. They are simple, and functional, but not groundbreaking. In that regard, the E92 stays true to form. No dipstick though is a bit annoying IMHO, but they are pretty sweet cars.

Yes, S5's are quite common in the area. I don't care, I'd still love one..to me it's still one of the most attractive cars on the road.

Let's not forget though, we're basically comparing nearly 10 year old interiors between a 350Z and everything else, so it stands to reason things will, at a certain point, look dated.

One overlooked aspect of a rattle is how many times the interior of the subject car has ever been apart. Be it for something like an accident repair, or even for something such as warranty work, or even a stereo install/removal.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 AM
BonesZ33

rattles are fixable u idiots
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
SniperHunter

Many of them aren't, you moron.

See? I can be a jerk too.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 PM
SniperHunter

BTW: I applied for an auto loan from Chase today. Hope it gets approved for the full amount! =)
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

yes bones, but after you've spent a number of weekends taking the car apart to isolate rattles, only to have new ones pop up, you'll surely get tired of working on that cheap interior. at some point it defeats you and you just learn to deal with it.

Quick Reply: Test drove E92 M3, Audi S5, and 370Z. Likely trading in 350Z for 370Z.