Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Any Future Z Rumors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 AM
scrapser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Future Z Rumors?

When I bought my 06' 350, I think there were already some concept drawings out there of the next generation which eventually became the 370.

It's a new year so I figure perhaps someone somewhere may have caught some news of where Nissan is going with the Z. Links would be good, too.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is currently being worked on per the designer of the 370z. There has been some talk of a hybrid version or direct injection but nothing concrete.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard a rumor that Nissan is seriously considering a V8 of approximately 5.0L and ~400 horsepower to compete against the Mustang and Camaro.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Damn that would be cool!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM
tony530

direct injection would be cool on a 370z!!! wonder why they havent done it??? when it came out??? the JUKE is direct injection why not the 370z!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM
adamciya350

Nissan is already picking up turbo's for other cars, hopefully the z will be included
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
tony530

if the 370z comes in a turbo!!! bye bye 350z hello 370z!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I think it's safe to say the 370Z will remain NA for the life of the model. There will be a mid-model refresh coming soon (next year is my guess) with minor tweaks to exterior styling and some interior pieces, but that's about all. I wouldn't hold my breath for direct injection being added right away; it would add cost to a model that's already halfway though its cycle anyway.

Nissan has important launches in the next year with the new Altima and Sentra. These are models that hit the vast majority of the consumer market and are critical to Nissan's future success. They cannot be allowed to fail! Most engineering and design resources will be devoted in getting fresh offerings to a very competitive automotive market.

Any talk about the next Z model (Z35) is strictly rumor and nothing more. Certainly Nissan is studying advance styling concepts and design specs, but nobody outside of the company will get much more than a whiff of that. Personally, I hope the next Z gets lighter and takes advantage of the latest DI, FI and Li-ion battery technology to make a true performance hybrid into reality.

David Muramoto
Editor-in-chief
Nissan Sport magazine

Last edited by dkmura; 01-14-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
scrapser

What prompted my inquiry aside from curiosity was a conversation I had with a co-worker who told me he read an article about the history of the VQ series engine and that it was pretty much maxed out at this point.

Given the current state of the automotive market and the trend/mandate towards even more efficiency, I assume changes will be coming for the engine. My curiosity is focused on this and styling. I'm sure or at least hope Nissan has a good handle on its priorities and a brand new Z will be forthcoming eventually.

Patience is a virtue.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love to hear people guess ah hahaha,
OP-google is your friend.

i heard diesel:

topspeed article

"Nissan has recently launched the 370Z sports car and already the company has started working on the next generation Z. And with the new alliance between Renault-Nissan and Daimler, the next Z could be powered by new diesel engines and a four-cylinder hybrid powertrain.

Thanks to the new alliance, Renault-Nissan will supply three and four-cylinder petrol engines and electric technology to Daimler, while Daimler will return four, six, and eight-cylinder engines. This could turn out to be a great partnership because Mercedes is known for its fuel efficient diesel engines and Renault is in need for them with their launch into the electric car segment.

This leaves three options for the next generation Z. The first is a 3.5-liter V6 hybrid set-up used in Mercedes S400. This option provides 299hp and 284 ft.-lb. of torque. The next option is the V6 from the E350 CDI with an output of 170 kW/231 hp. Finally, the four-cylinder petrol in combination with a 15 KW compact electric motor from the forthcoming E300 Bluetec. This option delivers a total of 224 hp and a torque of over 580 Nm. However, Nissan also has under consideration the same engine used in the Infiniti M hybrid."

and another article

"Best Car, reports that the next generation Nissan Z (known as the Fairlady in Japan) will also be offered in a hybrid version. The hybrid version is rumored to run on a new lithium ion battery pack. Coincidentally, this is the same pack that will be powering the Fuga luxury sedan, known as the Infiniti M on the U.S. side of the pond.

This comes as a result of the recent collaboration between Renault-Nissan and Daimler. Another possibility is a diesel engine developed by Daimler, but this is just another rumor."
Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Jackson0927

MotorTrend online:

"A Nissan Z powered by a Mercedes diesel, hybrid, or even a Diesotto engine? It may sound like we've been sniffing too many fumes, but as the dust from the Renault-Nissan/Daimler deal begins to settle, a source close to Nissan has revealed to us that the next-generation Nissan Z will likely be among the vehicles fitted with Daimler-sourced engine options.

The new deal suggests Renault-Nissan will supply Daimler with 3- and 4-cylinder gas engines and electric vehicle technology while Daimler will deliver 4-, 6- and 8-cylinder gas, diesel and hybrid powerplants to the Franco-Japanese alliance.

There are no doubt a lot of Nissan fans in Japan and the U.S. who will question any move to replace Nissan engines with those of a competitor, especially when you consider that the VQ series V-6 has been rated at or near the top of its class for the past decade (although it has begun to lag behind in mileage, emissions and overall refinement). But with stringent CO2 and fuel efficiency regulations in the offing for both Europe and the U.S., radical course changes are probably inevitable.

Nissan reportedly has its eye on two Daimler diesels: the 210-horsepower, 3.0-liter BlueTEC already available in several U.S. Mercedes models, and more strategically, the even more efficient, 2.2-liter four-cylinder E300 BlueTEC diesel-hybrid. (The automaker also recently unveiled its own 3.0-liter diesel unit for its European Infiniti lineup.) Another potential engine that might find its way into the Z at some point is the Mercedes Diesotto unit. Combining the best features of diesel and gas engines into one powerplant, the Diesotto is a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder generating 238 horsepower. But that engine is still in development and would likely be a long way off for any Z application.

On the gasoline hybrid front, the next Z had been expected to inherit Nissan's new V-6 hybrid powerplant set to debut in the Infiniti M shortly, but rumors now suggest the engine could instead be a version of the 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid from the S400.

Renault-Nissan head man Carlos Ghosn has reportedly been keeping a close eye on sports cars powered by hybrids, especially the Ferrari 599 hybrid concept and the Porsche 911 GT3 R hybrid, which proved its mettle during last month's Nurburgring 24-Hour event. Whether it turns out to be a diesel, hybrid, or a combination of both, Ghosn looks to be eyeing a similar blend of performance and efficiency for his next Z. Whatever happens, it likely won't be anytime soon as we don't expect to see the new car until late in calendar year 2012 at the earliest. (A rendering of what the new Z could become is pictured at top.)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Because of the GTR, I wouldn't expect to see the next Z turbo'ed. IMO, you don't want to share engines that closely in platforms that are so distant (also it would draw cannibalizism negativity from the market analysts and media). However the article mentioned previously on the Mercedes-Nissan engine venture could create a new 4.5 - 5.0 liter V-8 engine that would be an awesome fit for the Z. It would create/extend a niche for Japanese Muscle cars, and give the platform a new lease. However with the ever increasing growth of hybrids and "green focused cars" I wouldn't bet the farm on a V8 (just an outside chance). More than likely, we'll see a new direct injected M, then a direct injected Z/G 3.7 somewhere around 350 horsepower. Unfortunately, I don't think Nissan will target the Mustang in a hosrepower/straight line performance war unless they go with the V8.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Patsfan83

Speculation will be speculation

But I know we all want more power
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
07_350z_JP

just wait for the next G which comes out next year for the clues. The Z is not going to stray very far at all do to all the shared components to keep costs down.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
StonedSilverZ

My dads friend has a nephew whose cousin knows this guy who skypes with the CEO of Nissan and he told my dads friends nephews cousin that Nissan will be making a twin turbo v8 500z in 2014
Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM
edd2045

Originally Posted by StonedSilverZ
My dads friend has a nephew whose cousin knows this guy who skypes with the CEO of Nissan and he told my dads friends nephews cousin that Nissan will be making a twin turbo v8 500z in 2014
lol..nice, if this were true thats the new z we should move to
Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Shin Beats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the point of sticking N/A was to make the Z affordable and at the same time profitable. FI Z=more money.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First car (that I know of) from the Mercedes/Nissan collab

Article

I still think the next Z will see a motor born from their collabo.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
SlipZ

i think a move to the V8 is enticing, wishful thinking. Seeing the mustang and camaro's outpower the Z. Im sure the undecided buyers will lean on the muscle cars, because why buy the Z if you can get a 5.0 or Camaro ss for about the same price..30-40k.

Besides, nissan already has a VQ V8 on board..V8 armada,truck uses them...if that happens, man the Z will be feasting on the american muscle!!!..
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
edd2045

i do agree with shin to a point..FI is great but having a V8 powered Z would be good too, imagine the possibilities with FI on a V8 Z

Quick Reply: Any Future Z Rumors?