Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

Dealer employees caught drag racing GT-R's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Prosport Gauges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven1
And you're laughing b/c? Do you know anything about properly seating rings? Most motors in high performance application are broken in on dynos...including the GT-R motors. Actual "break-in" for these once delivered is 300 miles as they are already pre run on an engine dyno before being put into the car. Believe it or not they also run the car and bed the breaks in prior to shipping too. FYI

Short...high power loads are whats recommended in modern motors, in progression. IMO some pulls down the drag strip constitutes the short, high load period. The short periods reduce possible "overheating". Low power settings don't expand the piston rings enough which leaves a film of oil on the cylinder walls and could lead to possible oil consumption issues down the road. It's been debated time and time again and I'll stick to whats worked for me and the people who've I've spoken to who have built countless high performance modern engines.

Here's a little material for you to read and research.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
so what your saying is 300 miles is good enough to break in a turbo! come on man, you sound stupid.

and your links are for 4 stroke motors.... read it before you post it!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my new motor installed in August, I asked the service manager what the break-in period was and he said there wasn't one
Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
tware

oh gawd, not the 'break in secrets' again. The VQ is not a motocycle or nascar engine. Blackstone tests and dynos indicate that the VQ is not a Honda Civic motor which is pretty much settled in by 500 miles. We're talking about a GTR here, so the VQ doesnt even apply, but just because Ferrari's, Vettes, Porsche, and Nascar does something, that doesnt apply to every high performance internal combustion engine. It might, but youre making an assumption.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tware
oh gawd, not the 'break in secrets' again. The VQ is not a motocycle or nascar engine.
+1
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
iZdeadpeople

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Ferraris break when you launch them sometimes, so do Z06's...should those never break too?

All of these people have no idea what they are talking about and think cars should be invincible. Come on....go out and keep launching a Veyron, it will also break
Point of the matter is, the car cannot take it's own power output. The GTR was advertised and marketed as a supercar with launch control. The transmission should have been up to par. Launching it should not matter. Look at the abuse the ford 9" rear went through in drag racing applications. What about some of the american automatic transmissions that are also used in drag racing applications (even some mkiv tt owners with 600+hp use them). Lots of these cars are running 10 seconds or faster 1/4 mile times without any of the issues we're seeing from current GTR owners.

So why can't Nissan properly design a transmission that is capable of withstanding the same type of abuse? We're not talking about 600+ rwhp here either. Was proper R&D done? Surely they must have known that using launch control repeatedly would fry the stock tranny. Which is why turning VDC off voids your warranty. All Nissan does is boast about its laptimes at the ring and 0-60 times. These people are buying supercars near $100k, they should be able to drive it (on the street) as they wish.

Last edited by iZdeadpeople; 11-11-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
bloodwings19

This is one reason why I would not buy a used sports car because in all likelihood the car is going to be sold soon. Last week, I saw a GTR with a dealer license place that guy was cutting cars left and right. He is probaly the owner of the car, but he treated the car like it was stolen. One reason I never take my car to a dealership for anything, if I did, I will not let it stay overnight.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Fingers

Originally Posted by iZdeadpeople
Point of the matter is, the car cannot take it's own power output. The GTR was advertised and marketed as a supercar with launch control. The transmission should have been up to par. Launching it should not matter. Look at the abuse the ford 9" rear went through in drag racing applications. What about some of the american automatic transmissions that are also used in drag racing applications (even some mkiv tt owners with 600+hp use them). Lots of these cars are running 10 seconds or faster 1/4 mile times without any of the issues we're seeing from current GTR owners.

So why can't Nissan properly design a transmission that is capable of withstanding the same type of abuse? We're not talking about 600+ rwhp here either. Was proper R&D done? Surely they must have known that using launch control repeatedly would fry the stock tranny. Which is why turning VDC off voids your warranty. All Nissan does is boast about its laptimes at the ring and 0-60 times. These people are buying supercars near $100k, they should be able to drive it (on the street) as they wish.
I'm sure Nissan did test the tranny thousands of times but there is not telling where the parts for the transmission are coming from, out side vendors, they could easily make a change in an attempt to save money and **** everything up. This normally happens with things that are mass produced. The thing that sucks for early buyers is that Nissan could fix the problem behind the scenes and get away with doing no wrong. What looks worst, Nissan admitting they fuked up or Nissan saying a few people trashed their cars while they quietly fix the problem. The few people who are having GTR problems are being made out to be a bunch of careless negligent *******s by the Nissan GTR apologist. Don't ever buy a first year car unless you are a baller.