2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

NITROUZ - My review of the GTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NITROUZ - My review of the GTR

Finally, what you have been waiting for. My review of the GTR.

I've been wondering how I would write this over the course of the past week. And now, right before my 1000mile service, I have done quite a few things in it (aside from launch control), and can give a fair review. Keep in mind that this is all subjective. I'm comparing this to my 420Z-TT, as well as a host of other exotics and luxury cars I've driven including (Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 599, Ferrari F430 Scud, Ferrari F430, Ferrari 360, Ferrari Testarossa, Lamborghini LP640, Lamborghini Gallardo, Lamborghini Diablo SV, Porsche CGT, Porsche 997 Turbo, Porsche 997 GT2, Porsche 997 GT3, every car in the MB / BMW line, etc etc...) Since this is marketed as a Supercar, the comparison should be equal to the marketing perspective.

First of all, the obvious...speed. It's not that fast. It's not as fast as I want it to be. It's not as fast as I expected. BUT, it's very balanced with the handling and weight. It's not "suck me in the seat" fast, but it's just right for this chassis. I wouldn't mind another 200hp or so, but this will do for a stock car. It won't get you into too much trouble, but I like the "kill me" fast where one mistake and you're gone. I like controlling life and death on my right foot. In short, I wish it was faster. First gear feels fast because of the AWD traction, but after second gear, I feel like I could be drinking a can of pop while going WOT.

Handling, is where this car shines. I have never driven another car that handles this well, without SOME sort of drama, whether it be turn in, exit, or hitting the apex. This car has absolutely NO drama when pushed to the limit. Sometimes it may seem a little boring as I like to let the tail out once in a while. But it's very well engineered. Just get some sways or bigger tires up front and dial out the understeer, and it's golden.

Balance is what this car was built for, to me. The power and handling offsets the weaknesses of this car (weight and size). It's a big car. It's a heavy car. But the stiffness of the chassis, positioning of the wheels, and steering input balances everything out. This is one of the most balanced vehicles I've ever driven. Suspension can be a little harsh when driving on uneven roads, but that's the way I like it. Body roll is still apparent at the limit, but nothing some suspension work won't fix.

The car is comfortable to an extent. The interior is decent for what it is. Some parts do seem cheap (radio/climate control panel), but overall it's acceptable. The seats could have slightly higher bolsters, and needs some lumbar support. Driving anything longer than 2 hours hurts my back (maybe I'm getting old ha!)

It performs somewhat like a supercar, but it definitely does not SOUND like a supercar. Nothing some aftermarket mid-pipes won't fix, but it needs to sound more exotic. For the price, I understand. But for the classification of being a supercar, I need it to sound more like it.

This is my daily driver. I drive it to work. I drive it to pick up groceries. I drive it to the mall. I drive it to meets. I drive it in the rain. I drive it in the snow. I drive it everywhere. If Nissan is to keep marketing it as a supercar anywhere, anyone, anytime, then the creature comforts need to be improved.

The center console is nice. Designed by Polyphony and Xanavi, it has a lot of functions. Maybe a little too much. I'm more old school and like the analogs better.

The transmission...oh the transmission. Dual clutch, 6 speed, shifts faster than humanly possible. If it came in manual, would I choose that instead? Yes. I miss the left foot action. I miss hitting the gear gates. This tranny is very fast, but the ecu needs to LEARN what I like, instead of just me telling it what I like. Sometimes I want to hold a gear longer, I would have to manually switch to manual mode, flip up the R mode for the tranny, to be able to enjoy it. It's fun, and it's a great tranny. But I'm not a track freak. I'm not interested in breaking records. I want the joy of driving. In that perspective, it lacks a little bit.

The attention it gets is unbelievable. A little TOO much actually. I don't mind the attention, but this is slightly too much. I had to tint all my windows so I can pick my own nose in my own car, without people taking pictures of it.

The backseats are useless. There's about an inch of legroom, if that. I'm 6'1, and when I'm sitting in the driver seat comfortably, nothing can fit behind me but a baby seat. And if I have a baby, I highly doubt I would put him/her in the GTR.

This car makes a lot of noises. Tranny noises, tire noises, LSD noises, suspension noises. I wish it had more noise. I love mechanical noises...makes me feel like I know exactly what the car is doing.

Design...I love how everything is functional. The design is anything but traditional. The hard edges, the weight, the size...is anything but what a sports car should be. But everything came together better than what a "true traditional sports car" would. Speaking of functional, I take that back. Not EVERYTHING is functional. Have you tried to see where the front bumper intake ducts lead to? Put your hand through the driver side duct and see what you feel. That's right. Dead end.

Due to the size, it's not easy to park right off the bat. Because of the price range, it fits buyers from the supercar market, as well as the average sports car/luxury car market. Not everyone is used to the size. It needs a rear view back-up camera, or at the very least, mirrors that turn downwards when you put it in reverse.

I know this review may seem a little negative, but believe me, it's not. Overall, I would rate this car 7/10. If it wasn't marketed as a "supercar", it may have scored higher in my books. It's perfect for what I need at the moment (a quick car that can get me from A to B with some fun in between), but if I was in it for the pure driving enjoyment, I would rather be driving a Porsche GT3 RS. It may be slower and less technologically advanced, but it connects the driver and the machine a lot more.

But, if you are looking for a car that you can drive anywhere while having a bit of fun, this is it. It's not crazy in any specific area, but it's a Jack of All Trades. I'm glad with my purchase so far, but I just can't honestly say it's the best car I've driven according to my standards. It's definitely one of the best car for the price, though. It's a nice compromise between the ultimate sports car and an everyday car. I wanted a purebred sports car with all the creature comforts. This is as close as it can get.

I'm not too focussed on the positives as many magazines and online reviews are about how great the car is. I love my GTR, but there is always room for improvement. That's what I'm trying to get at.

Alex
Old 10-04-2008, 02:49 AM
devilocity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing review! non-biased.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:43 AM
q8z

nice review alex
Old 10-04-2008, 04:56 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a feeling you would miss the Z's rawness going to the AWD, stickless GTR. I agree with you that fun-factor > track times. When you had your little poll, I voted you for you to get the porsche simply for the driving experience, but it's hard to resist the new kid on the block.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:19 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the review! Glad you are happy with your purchase despite some shortcomings.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Barzten1

I review we can trust. Thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

going from the 800hp monster that you built to the 500 some odd gtr, its no wonder it feels sluggish. btw yea, im a fan of Alyssa :] and thanks for the non-biased review, very informative.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 AM
WARAT

i'd pick alyssa over a gtr.. that's just me though..
Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Have you spoke with Brent (BamBam)? He went from the 420zTT also to a GTR, I believe he just got the COBB Access port on and loves it. He also stated the GTR was not as fun as the Z. Haven't got a chance to talk to him since he modified the GTR oh and OT but Alyssa will be missed!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 AM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex,
Thanks for the review and congrats on the new GTR.
Did you really have to sell the Z to get the GTR?
Who is the lucky new owner of Alyssa?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review. I would love to own a GTR one day, maybe because i'm a Nissan fan but congrats on the purchase. I like how you said you can use it daily for any condition.

btw, tecnically, isn't this GTR as fast as your old 350z in terms of quarter mile?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:19 AM
TacoMadre

Cliff notes?

JK good review!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 AM
fabcas311

your Z>GTR
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 AM
ztussy

There are too many tech in GT-R!!! you need a Porsche GT2 or GT3, it's so much more mechanical.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 AM
d1auto

Alex were do i find the what number my GTR is on the car the dealer just hear she yours with no explainations <<< Reepur on mygtr
Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 AM
vnarang

Question: If you wanted a car that would get you from Point A to Point B, with some fun in-between, wasn't Alyssa perfect for that or did you want to switch it up?

I want to know your overall 'review' with Alyssa as well. Why you got rid of it. I assume you have butt-loads of money, or do not have to worry about it at the least, hence how you proceeded with the 420ZTT, and succeeded it with a GT-R.

Overall, I like your review. Didn't seem negative to me, considering that you've driven many super cars. I don't know if this review makes me feel more comfortable buying another car (if I were to), because the "GT-R isn't all that."
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by d1auto
Alex were do i find the what number my GTR is on the car the dealer just hear she yours with no explainations <<< Reepur on mygtr
last 4 digits of the VIN tells your what number your GTR is.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
Have you spoke with Brent (BamBam)? He went from the 420zTT also to a GTR, I believe he just got the COBB Access port on and loves it. He also stated the GTR was not as fun as the Z. Haven't got a chance to talk to him since he modified the GTR oh and OT but Alyssa will be missed!!!
yeah I talk to Brent from time to time. I've talked to him a lot about our Z's and now our GTR's.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by raf84ny
Alex,
Thanks for the review and congrats on the new GTR.
Did you really have to sell the Z to get the GTR?
Who is the lucky new owner of Alyssa?
I didn't HAVE TO sell the Z to get the GTR, but I always have multiple cars (1-2 toys and a DD), and I'm a single guy living on my own. I don't see the point in owning so many vehicles, hence why I wanted to just have 1 "multi-tasker" and got the GTR. Especially in today's economy, I could do with a little less expense.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by vnarang
Question: If you wanted a car that would get you from Point A to Point B, with some fun in-between, wasn't Alyssa perfect for that or did you want to switch it up?
No. Alyssa couldn't be a daily driver, especially being here in Canada in the winter. It also magnetically attracts every 5-0 within a 5 block radius. I wanted something that involves less tension to drive.

Quick Reply: NITROUZ - My review of the GTR