Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM
HDPDZO6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
If you can prove the Veyron never breaks after using the launch control hundreds of times consecutively, I would be very surprised to see said information!!!!!!
Actually, to validate your argument, the burdon is on you to prove the Veyron's drivetrain DOES fail after repeated launch control activations.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Prosport Gauges

Wow that really sucks about the NEW GTR. Guys just pick up a STI and throw a gt-35r on it. Thats what i did and i eat GTR's up all day
Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Actually, to validate your argument, the burdon is on you to prove the Veyron's drivetrain DOES fail after repeated launch control activations.
We both know that information is kept internal at Bugatti. So technically snake should have proof for HIS answer as well
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Prosport Gauges
Wow that really sucks about the NEW GTR. Guys just pick up a STI and throw a gt-35r on it. Thats what i did and i eat GTR's up all day
I'd like to see your Nurburgring times...

or any road coarse for that matter...pick one a race a GTR there!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Prosport Gauges

hang on, let me post my dyno number!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Prosport Gauges

This is wheel HP!
and my 6speed gives me no problems what so ever. I will be getting 2 step and launch control

I will be running meth on it soon.... Little FYI, The GTR is a sick car. Looks sick but for the price, not my cup of tea. I love and will always stick with my suby.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 AM
r0csfinest

This is wheel HP!
and my 6speed gives me no problems what so ever. I will be getting 2 step and launch control

I will be running meth on it soon.... Little FYI, The GTR is a sick car. Looks sick but for the price, not my cup of tea. I love and will always stick with my suby.
your subie will not get the times the GTR got around the ring
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Prosport Gauges

LMAO are you on crack! how about we go off roading! HEHE
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just build a Civic and make it faster
Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Prosport Gauges

lol
Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 AM
bakerb22

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I think the best thing that Nissan should do is develop a 7speed gearbox for that car. The BMW M5 has a 7 speed... why not the GT-R?

So far any words about a Manual in that car? Or will it stay Auto?
Well the entire car has been based on the dual clutch transmission, so I highly doubt that Nissan will make a manual. Nobody can deny that alot of the credit for its great track and street times can be attributed to the dual clutch, manuals in a car like this would only bring slower times. Contraty to what is being said in this forum, one of the best parts about the car is the Transmission. I have driven mine over 2,000 miles and still get a kick out of the shift sensation, even though I do prefer manuals by nature. Keep in mind that the guys who mess up his car will always scream the loudest, the people who are very happy (like me) will rarely speak up. With all that said, it is the most revolutionaly super car to come around since the NSX, there will always be there fair share of people who complain. And if you are doing more than 10 launches in a stock car at one time, that is abuse, reguardless of the vehicle. How many people here can say that in a day they do over 10 hard launches at 4600 RPM and can honestly say that they are not treating there car poorly.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Prosport Gauges

well said! but can you honestly expect the car to run for 50k miles with out doing 10 launches. regardless, it will break anyways because there must be flaws.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I love driving from rolls. Much easier on the car.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
This is why I love driving from rolls. Much easier on the car.

Agreed...takes wheel hop out of the equasion for the most part. I thought my back end was going to explode when i dropped the clutch at 4000 RPM trying to practice launching
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 AM
UMW350Z

well said! but can you honestly expect the car to run for 50k miles with out doing 10 launches. regardless, it will break anyways because there must be flaws.
Oh, do tell...you seem to know a lot about the subject, so please explain to all of us through your research and development on multiple GTRs just exactly what the problems are
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
UMW350Z

LMAO are you on crack! how about we go off roading! HEHE
So you just said you could beat a GTR around the Nur?

Post proof or
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Prosport Gauges

no i never said that! Im sure the GTR will have me at nur, but how about we do a straight 1/4 mile run or even a little off roading....

calm down there turbo, i never said anything like that. I was simply responding to the other guys thread. Obviously there must be a flaw, considering it is the first year production.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
bakerb22

Well that may be true. But lets be honest guys, most of the people in this forum are used to driving vehicles that dont have the dynamics of cars such as a GT-R. if you tune a 350Z to 400hp and blow out your clutch, you can directly attribute that to the fact that the clutch was not designed from the factory to withstand that so you cant really blame it. Most other cars that perform in the same realm as the GT-R also have significant problems. Have you ever driven a corvette with over 20,000 miles, they rattle themselves apart (and please, any vette drivers, please dont respond by telling me your crazy horsepower ratings that have withstood a million miles of hard driving). 10 launches at a time is a lot of launches. 10 launches is alot. And guys, we are paying the money for this car for the consistency at which it reaches these numbers. Most people pay attention to the fastest 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. But if you really read the numbers. They may hvae done 5 launches in lets say a Porsche Turbo, and gotten anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 0-60, so the cars are not performing at as high a level as consistently. AWD cars are VERY hard and automatic transmissions with the level of shift speed that the GT-R has. In race mode, your next clutch is spinning over 1,000 RPM's higher than it will engage at, so it is literally dropping the clutch every time the car is driven hard. Just stuff to keep in mind guys.....
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Prosport Gauges

Originally Posted by bakerb22
Well that may be true. But lets be honest guys, most of the people in this forum are used to driving vehicles that dont have the dynamics of cars such as a GT-R. if you tune a 350Z to 400hp and blow out your clutch, you can directly attribute that to the fact that the clutch was not designed from the factory to withstand that so you cant really blame it. Most other cars that perform in the same realm as the GT-R also have significant problems. Have you ever driven a corvette with over 20,000 miles, they rattle themselves apart (and please, any vette drivers, please dont respond by telling me your crazy horsepower ratings that have withstood a million miles of hard driving). 10 launches at a time is a lot of launches. 10 launches is alot. And guys, we are paying the money for this car for the consistency at which it reaches these numbers. Most people pay attention to the fastest 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. But if you really read the numbers. They may hvae done 5 launches in lets say a Porsche Turbo, and gotten anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 0-60, so the cars are not performing at as high a level as consistently. AWD cars are VERY hard and automatic transmissions with the level of shift speed that the GT-R has. In race mode, your next clutch is spinning over 1,000 RPM's higher than it will engage at, so it is literally dropping the clutch every time the car is driven hard. Just stuff to keep in mind guys.....

I feel the same way. I also believe that maybe the pressure plate on the GTR is to strong. If its shifting in 0.2 sec and grabing that quick there is bound to be problems.....
Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Agreed...takes wheel hop out of the equasion for the most part. I thought my back end was going to explode when i dropped the clutch at 4000 RPM trying to practice launching
Some of my friends laugh at me when I say they should race from rolls on freeways and stuff.

Often, the point of racing is to see if the CAR is faster, not the driver. Launching from a stop, especially RWD, leaves a lot of error on the drivers part from bogging, spinning, missing gears, granny shifting, etc etc. That's why you hear so much about when a person lost, it may be because his 'tires were spinning'.

There's other benfits of freeway racing too: no cross streets that may have cops hidden as you go blazing by and typically less danger to other people/traffic.

Racing from a roll > racing from a dig

(especially if you have an AWD car as from what I've seen from friends with Evo's and Subies with their messed-up transmissions)

Last edited by Blu_Blur; 10-09-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!