2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that fuel is still cut in R mode as there is no mention of TCS being disabled and it's TCS which cuts fuel to maintain traction when slip is detected?

Someone posted this:

Under R mode it includes the portion which states "in addition to the normal mode function." Going off of the explanation for VDC in Normal mode, this should include individual brakes being applied and power being cut as TCS is still active even in R mode. There is no mention of TCS being completely disabled in R mode. The only time TCS is mentioned as being disabled is under the VDC off description. I had assumed that R mode would be akin to the Corvette's Competitive Driving mode and in addition to adjusting the front and rear torque distribution would have also raised the threshold at which TCS and VDC step in to allow for more slip and wheel spin, but I see no mention of this either. From what I can tell, VDC remains on in R mode and that includes TCS which cuts fuel when slip is detected.

Unless of course I completely missed something here?

you may be right. I'm going off what I had personally experienced. I could slide my rear end out all day and not get a cut. Maybe the threashold is just that high. But going by what my Torque Split gauge says and what I felt, torque is definitely transferred to the front wheels instead of cutting fuel. Maybe if I do a standing burnout it'd be different...but I don't want to void my warranty lol...
Old 10-11-2008, 06:19 PM
bjnissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fyi

I was turned onto this site from a friend who frequents it in response of this "bakerb22" person who keeps posting. I live in Houston and own a silver premium GT-R. I have a neighbor who has a 15 year old kid who keeps wanting to go for a ride and stuff, guess I can't blame him. Anyways, he came over and asked if he can have me take pictures of him with my car, to make a long story short he told me that he is on a site and needed to prove that he has a GT-R. He is just a kid and obviously doesn't know what he is talkig about, and I have alredy contacted the site administrators to let them know. With all of that said, "launch" is rroff as far as I know, and my car is completely stock, so no 600hp monster here, at least not yet I suppose. I like your site so far, you all seem to be full of good information. I hope you get as good of a laugh out of this ordeal as I did, at the very least it will help some credibility be restored that kevin surely hurt!!!! Happy tuning!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
HDPDZO6

IP check pls...
Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

^was already on it.

Different IP's.

Edit: Judging by the email addresses registered, what are the chances 2 neighbors both have the last name Baker?

Last edited by Nitrouz; 10-11-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:50 PM
bjnissan

Thanks for verifying, the reason the name baker is used is because my family and I own baker jackson nissan in Houston. But oddly enough my neighbors last name is baker. Either way, I get the suspicion, do all the checking/calling you want, call the store and ask for brad, I'm usually there.... On Monday that is, I don't work Sundays
Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

no problem I would give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Zyclone Z

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
no problem I would give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for clarifying.
Have you driven your GTR with the VDC off? Or Launched for that matter, with it off? Since this is the main reasoning behind this thread being started. VDC was initially made to help your car out in sticky situations to add more power to the wheels to get them to spin under certain road conditions. Was VDC made for, not neccessarly "daily driving" but for tracking it, or just flooring it? Or was the main intention only for "emergency" use only? If thats the case, maybe they should have a warning sign when VDC isnt engaged. Just my opinion if your going to spend $70,000 on a vehicle and by pushing a button, you could be stuck with a $20,000 repair that has to come out of YOUR own pocket ontop of what you have just paid...

I still love the GTR but, something needs to happen with this. I am not to happy with it. I understand the fact that alot of you said, "parts break, if abused". With out proper knowledge of knowing EXACTLY what your doing behind the wheel, whos to honestly know that your "abusing" it. I'm pretty sure, that if the OP knew that by turning off VDC would have voided his warranty he wouldnt have done it. I know for sure I wouldnt have... Just my two cents :-D.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 PM
bjnissan

Originally Posted by Zyclone Z
Have you driven your GTR with the VDC off? Or Launched for that matter, with it off? Since this is the main reasoning behind this thread being started. VDC was initially made to help your car out in sticky situations to add more power to the wheels to get them to spin under certain road conditions. Was VDC made for, not neccessarly "daily driving" but for tracking it, or just flooring it? Or was the main intention only for "emergency" use only? If thats the case, maybe they should have a warning sign when VDC isnt engaged. Just my opinion if your going to spend $70,000 on a vehicle and by pushing a button, you could be stuck with a $20,000 repair that has to come out of YOUR own pocket ontop of what you have just paid...

I still love the GTR but, something needs to happen with this. I am not to happy with it. I understand the fact that alot of you said, "parts break, if abused". With out proper knowledge of knowing EXACTLY what your doing behind the wheel, whos to honestly know that your "abusing" it. I'm pretty sure, that if the OP knew that by turning off VDC would have voided his warranty he wouldnt have done it. I know for sure I wouldnt have... Just my two cents :-D.
I have only launched mine 3 times, and just once without vdc on. It does make a pretty good difference in the ferocity at which the car launches. I haven't really driven with it off at any significant speed, mostly because I don't have the area to take the car to the limits of what it can do, and that pesky warranty issue. I did talk to my master tech about the cost of the transmission replacement and he told me that the transmission cost $13,000 and labor costs $3,000, making it $16,000 to replace. Not a huge difference but just so everyone knows. Anyone have experence driving with vdc off at speed. By the way, I got to see the computer that the black box is plugged into. When your car checks out, it give you a smiley face for good and a frown for bad, I guess that symbol is universal in both japan and the states huh?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
SouiT

Default WTFz GTR? Nissan WTFZ!

"A member of the North American GT-R Owner's Club forums started a thread recently in which he tells about dropping off his Nissan GT-R at the dealership when he began hearing loud noises coming from the rear of the car. The dealership told him that his transmission was toast as a direct result of him turning off the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too much, which you have to do in order to use the Launch Control function. The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000 and Nissan won't cover it under warranty since the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is for when you're rocking the vehicle because it's stuck in mud or snow. That's kind of like Nissan saying you should never use the Launch Control function despite the fact it's there."

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/c...owners-busted/

*Sorry if repost or if its in different thread*

Another Forum discussing it
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

Last edited by SouiT; 10-13-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Found more info.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 AM
DrVolkl

I halted my GT-R quest for a while because of these rumors. I have a few friends in the Nissan service dept. and from what they've been telling me, there are a few "weak points" to this car.

I'm sure they'll get resolved....but when your tech tells you that 2 of the 4 cars they took to a vegas track event left on flat beds, you just have to wonder.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats fukd up of nissan to do, seems as if they did it on purpose
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by redline06
thats fukd up of nissan to do, seems as if they did it on purpose

I think the car was just pushed into production. They needed a Halo car to help sales...the hype was huge especially with "the ring" times. I bet the engineers would have preferred a few more months with it.

They probably started toasting their own trannys and decided that they should just put a little "do not turn off the VDC" button clause in the owners manual to release liability.

So my question is this: Why not just tell them you were stuck in snow?!

"Hey man, I was on top of that mountain and I was rocking my GT-R out of the deep snow. Now pay for my transmission."

Nissan should have just removed that button until they figured this out.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
SouiT

Was reading up on it in the other forums.
Apparently they sent 2 people from Japan to check out the Black Box and they told the dealer to not cover it under warranty?
Either way that's pretty lame....
GTR needs to hurry up and come with a manual transmission so I can stop crying about it being automatic. ^.^
And wont have these transmission problems!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks for the owner. I think Nissan should replace the tranny. I mean, it's a f**in GT-R, it should'nt be breaking down no matter how many launches you do..imo
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
HATED1

Default UPDATE

A member of the North American GT-R Owner's Club forums started a thread recently in which he tells about dropping off his Nissan GT-R at the dealership when he began hearing loud noises coming from the rear of the car. The dealership told him that his transmission was toast as a direct result of him turning off the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too much, which you have to do in order to use the Launch Control function. The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000 and Nissan won't cover it under warranty since the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is for when you're rocking the vehicle because it's stuck in mud or snow. That's kind of like Nissan saying you should never use the Launch Control function despite the fact it's there.

The situation clearly sucks for this GT-R owner, and we can certainly understand his frustration. Nissan, however, has itself covered in that the

The situation clearly sucks for this GT-R owner, and we can certainly understand his frustration. Nissan, however, has itself covered in that the owner's manual makes it clear that any damage to the transmission resulting from using Launch Control is not covered, and we're told GT-R owners actually have to sign something when picking up the car to show they understand this policy. And to be clear, just switching off VDC will not void the warranty, and many owners have used Launch Control with no damage to the transmission whatsoever.

We think there's something a little fishy going on with both parties in this conflict. For one, no one knows for sure exactly how many times this GT-R owner used Launch Control. Doing it once in a while to show off is one thing, but abusing any car with that much power will eventually lead to something failing, and in those cases the automaker shouldn't necessarily be held responsible for the repairs.

That said, we're also not exactly sure how delicate these GT-R transmissions are. If Nissan had any idea that its Launch Control function could damage the car, it should have built a system that could protect itself. Take the new Porsche 911 and its PDK dual-clutch transmission that also has Launch Control. The new Porsche will let you rip off about a dozen runs in a row before a dashboard light illuminates and the ECU limits engine power until everything cools off. Why can't the GT-R watch out for itself like that?

Click the source below and decide for yourself who is right and who is wrong in this situation.

[Source: nagtroc.org]
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
neight

what other cars have launch control? the new m3? do they have these problems? seems cheap for a supercar!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
MarvinMartian

First-year-of-production cars scare me.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Manjot
That really sucks for the owner. I think Nissan should replace the tranny. I mean, it's a f**in GT-R, it should'nt be breaking down no matter how many launches you do..imo
+1 Especially if it is a 20K tranny!
Originally Posted by SouiT
The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000
Any tranny for 20K better survive several launches
Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
MR_X

I would get some lawyers involved. That is some major BS. That's like saying you can't turn the radio volume past 20. It is capable but you can't use it.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
First-year-of-production cars scare me.
Yeah I learned my lesson with my 03 Z with all the problem it had.

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!