Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR as next car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM
comebackZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTR as next car?

Hey guys, long story short I've had my license suspended for a little over a year and just got it back. I have court again on the 23rd(yea right before Christmas) and I'll definately be getting it suspended again. For the short time I have my license now I plan on going out for a few test drives and when I get my license back for good(hopefully) sometime in March/April I will be looking to get one of the three cars listed above.

Currently I have a Mastergrade Widebody 350z, a 97 Cobra, Gixxer 750 and an Isuzu Rodeo. The Cobra will stay around b/c it's a convertible and a nice car just to cruise in. Rodeo has been my DD because it flies under the radar and is a good SUV for what it is but at 130,000 it's time to go. The Gixxer is out because everytime I sit on the damn thing I can't help but twist the throttle so I know I'll be put in a position again where it's pull over and get bent over by FFX County(among the toughest/dick head cops in the nation) or take my chances running and I'm finally getting out of trouble so neither or those are viable options. The Z however is out b/c as fun as it is and as much attention as it gets I'm just trying to get a little less noticeable car that I can beat on.

The criteria for my next car is:

-Has to be good on 8 hour trips
-Be fast and fun to drive (reason the 996 Turbo is out)
-Be able to go to a nice dinner/event etc. in the car
Most Important- I want the car to be able to handle being driven the way it was meant to be...

The last of the criteria is honestly my main concern regarding the GTR. I'm scared that if I buy the car and drive it the way that I want to and/or take it to the track the car is gonna break on me or I'm going to be late on an oil change and Nissan is gonna tell me that I'm up ****'s creek without a paddle. Besides the question of durability the GTR seemingly fits everything else. It has the interior that matches the M3 and the speed that matches the Z06.

So is the GTR really as fragile as many are making it out to be?
What is the gas mileage like on the GTR?
Anything else that I should know about the GTR?

The M3 has excellent overal quality but I'm more about speed than that and a Z06 is definately a nice enough car to go to a dinner/event. Today and tomorrow I will be going and test driving some cars and talking to different dealers.

I know that these other cars are in the same general price range so what lead you to the GTR as opposed to the others? Another thing that I have to take into consideration is that I don't really like to finance things and for the GTR I would have to finance 10-15 grand which would be cheap per month but I also have to factor that in which means not as aggressive violation of warranty, especially with the GTR/M3 where they can see if/what's been tampered with.

I appreciate your input.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...$129,9OO at Puerto Rico...I ain't even considering it! Local politicians are c-r-a-z-y!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Rocky2

FFX County(among the toughest/dick head cops in the nation)
Sounds like you are just an irresponsible driver who should slow down and not be buying a GTR
Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Read this link:

https://my350z.com/forum/other-vehic...gtr-hello.html
Old 12-13-2008, 07:53 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^ PLUS A BIG ONE

Porsche GT3, and a beater. Then bite the urge to...
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Translation:

I am young and irresponsible but have way more money than you do.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that David brings it up I was wondering how old the OP was...
Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 AM
vnarang

Hraes and david are the ultimate noob-eating team.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Ilike350Z

i saw one in rockville with a sticker price of 113K
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by zland
Well ****, that proves the GT-R sucks.. Who wants to buy mine?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 AM
spf4000

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
Well ****, that proves the GT-R sucks.. Who wants to buy mine?
I'll take it for half the sticker, but only as a favor.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by spf4000
I'll take it for half the sticker, but only as a favor.
Cool. That sticker I just made up in MS Paint says $170,000
Old 12-14-2008, 02:33 PM
comebackZ

Thanks for that link...

Far as my age goes I'm 21 and will be 22 in February, and have been a Z owner since 04. I've posted most of the time as Widebody350, but it wouldn't let me log in to that account. It sounds like I'm young and irresponsible and that may have been true in the past but it's in the past. All I'm doing right now license wise is paying for **** that I did a long time ago and the reason for the up-coming court date is due to driving on a suspended, which I did because I had to go to an important meeting and the reason for being pulled over was switching lanes in an intersection, which I did to avoid a car that was making a right into my lane. I'm making a smart decision to get off the bike so I can avoid trouble, a GTR(insert other fast car) is nothing compared to a bike and completely different in terms of controlling your speed. Also, suprisingly enough I only have one speeding ticket for 17 over, so no, controlling my speed or at least not getting caught isn't really my main issue. If you feel that my statement about FFX County Cops is not warranted then by all means go to the Mid-A section and ask about how them, but my statement about the FFX Cops shouldn't even have lead to to the assumption that I speed. If you speed and get caught speeding it doesn't make the cop a dick head, if a cop pulls you over for exhaust/tint/insert bs reason that makes the cop a dick head.

In the end you can pass judgement as you will however my question was not, "Can I handle or control a GTR in a responsible manner?" My questions were regarding the GTR and how the people who own one like it, as well, if they could asses the GTR's ability to perform in my criteria. I haven't yet but I am going to post a similar thread on Z06vette.com as well, so that I can get both opinions from both sides. For those who want to cry that I am too young, or my driving record makes me unworthy of the GTR, well by all means think whatever you want to, doesn't bother me a bit, I'll be driving one of the three by spring with a big smile on my face and for those who want to be constructive/helpful thank you very much for your input.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:40 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

So you say the Rodeo "flies" under the radar? Is that code for "I regularly drive without a license"?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 AM
VandyZ

If you have the money for these cars, then you should still have your license. Get a better lawyer.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 AM
350z4metoronto

If you want more input on the GT-R (and I am a supporter - getting mine in two months) then I recommend giving the NAGTROC.org site a read - I have been on that site for about a year and it is the source if you want to know about GT-R's

My take is that if you drive it with enthusiasm there are no problems - but if you try to launch it every other light or drive it like you stole it then (like any exotic) it will be fragile and break. I think that is what some people forget is that this is not a Civic...it is a high end performance vehicle and should be treated as such. I cannot count how often Ferrari’s and Lambo's break (or even just spontaneously catch fire for that matter) and no one blinks but because the GT-R is Japanese it is expected to run forever and be bulletproof.

Any way my two cents - but check out the NAGTROC discussion boards and make up your own mind - read the posts from those who have the cars, those reporting in from Japan have almost a year of ownership under their belts, and in many cases drive them hard.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTR is not really as fragile as many are making it out to be.

Gas mileage varies depending on how you drive.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Tuna_Ransom

You'll find allot of info on NAGTROC

I personally know 2 people that are dealing with trans issues... but I know way more that are not.

14.3 mix city / highway, and staying out of boost allot..
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
comebackZ

Thanks, never knew about that site but now I'm going through threads on there, gtrworld and mygtr. I don't plan on beatin on the car like a 16 y/o with a 240 after seeing Tokyo Drift but the car will see the track(drag and road) and some spirited driving since the best stretch on road on the East Coast besides The Dragon is about an hour and a half away from me if I take the fun way/back roads and about 30 minutes highway, so as long as the car can stand up to those tasks it's durable enough for me.

With the mileage I was wondering about highway cruising around 70s? I don't get on it on the highway really not too fun IMO and risky. Saw my third GTR on the road last night and the car looks even better on the road, cool owner/wife too, both gave me a thumbs up in the Cobra before I could give them a thumbs up.
Far as not having a good enough attorney, mine defended the DC Sniper, was offered the Vick case/offered some assistance to Vick's case I believe, and was rated by the Washington Post as the top criminal lawyer in Northern Va, so I think he's qualified to handle my traffic cases. BTW in my opinion Suspended DL and fines beats jail but that may be just me...
Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
350z4metoronto

I don't want to open up the tranny issue here - but I think there are three things at play there:

1) first year growing pains...you know what they say about year 1 cars.
2) some people beat the hell out of cars no matter what they have (so that could be the case but it is clearly not in all cases)
3) it is pretty high tech tranny and new tech takes time to get the bugs out...if you did not abuse it Nissan should stand behind it...issue is with the early tranny breaks it is not clear (from what I have read) if it is abuse or true failure - still being debated by the owners and Nissan.

That said I am still taking delivery of mine as soon as I hits the ground...I drive spiritedly (aggressively to some) but do not abuse the cars so I do not have any concerns.

Quick Reply: GTR as next car?