2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GT-R owner------Occupation ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 AM
o6black350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
+1

at 75k income, I would DEFINITELY NOT be driving a GTR...
Wrong, it depends where you manage to spend that money, my buddy just graduated as a Automotive Designer (im finishing my masters this October as Auto Designer and working for Lamborghini right now ) in past year he earned lil less then 75k as salary, and i was over at his place before i left to Italy for Lambo, and house was a okay size, had a girlfriend (non working) and already established his life with Viper R/T10 (new ed) and a Sick m3 for his girl. I know these cars might not cost as much as GTR but he's only 24 atm
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by o6black350z
and already established his life with Viper R/T10 (new ed) and a Sick m3 for his girl. I know these cars might not cost as much as GTR but he's only 24 atm
College loans paid for? Is the house paid for? Does he have 6+ mos. of reserve cash? Car payments != established.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i guesss i could buy me one...but i rather wait a lil a buy it used..since i dont plan to pay stupid premiun+dealer mark ups and ill mod it anyways

its cool to be the 1st one, but just like with the Z33 when at first people were shelling $$$$ way more than it was worth just to be te 1st, and 1-2 years later it wass like blah who cares about it.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 AM
avandss

i have a big *****
Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 AM
plumpzz

i run a corporashun from my house. I own it, but my parents live in it. I'm ripped. Oh, and I haz cheezburger. This year was tough, I only profited 2.8mil. Next year I hope to break 100- billion.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Electricchild

Originally Posted by plumpzz
i run a corporashun from my house. I own it, but my parents live in it. I'm ripped. Oh, and I haz cheezburger. This year was tough, I only profited 2.8mil. Next year I hope to break 100- billion.

Take a picture with today's newspaper then only will we believe you.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
plumpzz

Damn I would, but my secretary forgetz to bring teh noozpaper.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^
wake up kid
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
i guesss i could buy me one...but i rather wait a lil a buy it used..since i dont plan to pay stupid premiun+dealer mark ups and ill mod it anyways

its cool to be the 1st one, but just like with the Z33 when at first people were shelling $$$$ way more than it was worth just to be te 1st, and 1-2 years later it wass like blah who cares about it.
In the case of the 350z, there were a lot on the road within a couple years. Between 2003-2006, somewhere around 120,000 hit the US shores. In the same 4 year period, there will be around 7,000 GT-R's in the US. They will still be somewhat rare in most places and unseen in more rural places.

As for dealer markup - mostly gone if you search around.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came into a thread looking to see what people did for a living that had a GT-R. But all I see is people discussing how much everyone makes. Who gives a flying you know what. Get back on topic folks!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
nickZ33

neighbor on my street owns one, hes a financial analyst
Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I came into a thread looking to see what people did for a living that had a GT-R. But all I see is people discussing how much everyone makes. Who gives a flying you know what. Get back on topic folks!
The only GT-R owners who I have learned about are MMC and NitrouZ, and even they have been very vague on what it is they actually do for a living. Hopefully we will get some responses from other GT-R owners here.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by Divergent13
The only GT-R owners who I have learned about are MMC and NitrouZ, and even they have been very vague on what it is they actually do for a living. Hopefully we will get some responses from other GT-R owners here.
How much more detail do you want:
I work with large customers on complex infrastructure projects (directory services, email, portals, etc..). My wife is in software configuration management/release management in the defense industry.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Divergent13
True but we need to understand how these members made their money so we know which career paths to pursue.

pick something you like and that you're genuinely good at

picking a career based upon the money you perceive other people to have = toolbag status

also keep in mind that not everyone with money has or wants a GTR, and not everyone with a GTR has money
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
There is no one size fits all financial plan. 200k in San Diego is much different than 200k in Missouri, so throwing around a salary number means nothing without all the other data points.

For my wife and I who both agree to never have kids, life is very simple. We don't have the costs of raising children or the need to save for their college education. We don't have to concern ourselves with leaving a legacy behind. If I'm cash poor with a 2 million dollar house at age 70, I'll reverse mortgage it. Who cares - we have no one to pass it on to anyway besides maybe a charity. I'm not "baller" enough to pay cash for the GT-R - it will take 2 years to pay off - but I believe in having fun while young. I never wanted to be that guy that waits to buy a nice car and finally buys a Corvette at age 50 and putts around town in it.
amen to that

location, location, location - makes all the difference in the world many times
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
pick something you like and that you're genuinely good at

picking a career based upon the money you perceive other people to have = toolbag status

also keep in mind that not everyone with money has or wants a GTR, and not everyone with a GTR has money
That is definitely true. One of my former customers used to always park his Porsche Carrera in another parking lot. One day I asked his coworker if he was just worried about it getting dinged. Turns out, he was trying to hide it from being repossessed.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I should have put "money" in quotes lol - everyone's idea of having it varies widely
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Specv_USMC

i didnt read all of this, but i was interested. I too am heading back to school to get a degree that is more specific.

BUT i must say needing 200k per year to own a GTR is a no no. I make any where from 800-1500 a week working contruction. I have a mort on a 180k condo and i drive a 07 Z. with all my bills and what i have extra at the end of the month, I can afford a GT-R and was approved for one, BUT the future is the catch. I decided my future including getting married would put me in a bind even if i were to land a job that possible paid double my current rate. Its all about what you want to do with YOUR extra cash. Depending on your expenses and how much money you "blow" even with a 50K income you could tech buy a GTR.

mike

Last edited by Specv_USMC; 01-02-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM
burner

Originally Posted by Willowns
lol dont be hatin on lowes! its true that dept manager sin northern virginia make almost 60k a year. lol i used to work there, anyways

I am taking classes in nuclear safety and nuclear administration and i would be making good money and i plan to manage it well becuase i want a gt-r. most people say that a house would be a better investment but i dont have a wife or kids at the moment and i wouldnt have a need for a full house. more than likely a cheap flipped house or a nice apartment

long story short me making at the lowest 75k a year could afford a gt-r after my first year of working. thats paying cash.
75k a year will get your approx. $62k take home after tax. Then you have to figure social security, retirement, insurance, etc. so you will probably looking at more like $50k take home (if you are lucky). Now assuming you don't eat, live rent free somewhere and have $0 expenses, you can afford a down payment on a new GT-R if you save every penny for your first year. You'd most likely be able to get a loan with a $50k down payment, but your interest will be high if you are a first time buyer.

Last edited by burner; 01-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM
ghost30

Ok this here is another angle. In the end, you really need to weigh whether it's worth it to you.

I was trying to make a decision whether to sell my 05 G35c MT, because of the various engine issues, (oil consumption being the main) to get a BMW E92 M3 or a 02-04 NSX. The other choice was to wait for the various issues of the G35 to be sorted out, and then boost. I'd already spent money on exterior mods.. and was happy with what I'd done.

Test drove the M3.. great car. 70k USD, the BMW didn't seem worth it. First of all my car (modified) looked better. As for the Acura, I called a seller in california, and priced a 04 Long Beach Pearl blue NSX for about 62k. OMG Beautiful car. My father talked me out of it, and I'm glad he did. It just wasn't practical for a guy living in a condo with no garage.

I could've conceivably looked at a GT-R. But styling wise, I was on the fence, and I felt that personally I'd get bored with not having a stick. Not to criticize the car... it's a great piece of tech. Just personal tastes.

As for what I do.. I'm a composer/writer for tv. I do ok with my finances and save pretty well, But in the end.. I'd rather get a house first with a garage (have a condo now) before even remotely thinking about getting a proper sports car over 70k.

Getting twin turbos on my G was a chunk of money and maybe a bit of a gamble.. but in the end for me it's miles better than having a ridiculous car note, amongst all of the other bills I have. Paying cash for a GT-R didn't seem smart either. I'm not paying 70-90k cash.. for a car.. unless I reeeeaaaally have to have it and was prepared to take the loss. I'd want to be making atleast 300k to even consider doing something like this. GT-R would have to be my toy and not a Daily Driver.

Last edited by ghost30; 01-02-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: GT-R owner------Occupation ?