Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GT-R owner------Occupation ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
SuPERSak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT-R owner------Occupation ?

So we all know the GT-R is money and I have always wonder what are the owner's doing (Occupation) to afford to be rolling in these cars. So let's hear it. If you own a GT-R and are paying for it out of your own pocket, share with use your wonderful life of luxury lol I don't want to hear what you do if your parent's got you the GT-R.. I just DON'T CARE
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM
MMC Racing

Wife and I are both in IT with no kids. Nothing that special or exciting.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
07rdsterGT

No kids is the key there.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by 07rdsterGT
No kids is the key there.
Exactly.. And we both agree we don't want them ever..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

If you dont mind me asking what you do in IT. I will be graduating in May with an IT degree.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:54 PM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by Escobar
If you dont mind me asking what you do in IT. I will be graduating in May with an IT degree.
I work with large customers on complex infrastructure projects (directory services, email, portals, etc..). My wife is in software configuration management/release management in the defense industry.

Last edited by MMC Racing; 01-02-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by SuPERSak
So we all know the GT-R is money and I have always wonder what are the owner's doing (Occupation) to afford to be rolling in these cars. So let's hear it. If you own a GT-R and are paying for it out of your own pocket, share with use your wonderful life of luxury lol I don't want to hear what you do if your parent's got you the GT-R.. I just DON'T CARE
I'm always curious as to why people ask "What do you do?" when they see someone "rich".

What does it matter? If you want to know how to become rich, work hard and work smart and work often. You can make money doing almost anything as long as you have great work ethics.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assassin
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Steve-O Z33

b/c some people make good money without working 3+ jobs. I know people that work 3-4 jobs just to pay for the 350Z and modifications. And they still can't afford to mod often. If you're working 4 $8-9/hr. jobs, you're not going to get rich. And you're probably going to die from exhaustion. It's just nice to have some ideas on career paths. I've gone to school and right now, I'm not using my degree for work. I'd like to go back for something else but I have no idea what to go for. I'd like to make pretty good money doing something that interests me. Maybe someone else found that something and could enlighten me? I think that's where the OP is coming from.

Working your *** off is ok. But I'd rather not work my *** off in several jobs. Just 1 rewarding job.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
b/c some people make good money without working 3+ jobs. I know people that work 3-4 jobs just to pay for the 350Z and modifications. And they still can't afford to mod often. If you're working 4 $8-9/hr. jobs, you're not going to get rich. And you're probably going to die from exhaustion. It's just nice to have some ideas on career paths. I've gone to school and right now, I'm not using my degree for work. I'd like to go back for something else but I have no idea what to go for. I'd like to make pretty good money doing something that interests me. Maybe someone else found that something and could enlighten me? I think that's where the OP is coming from.

Working your *** off is ok. But I'd rather not work my *** off in several jobs. Just 1 rewarding job.
+1.

Working 3-4 jobs to just make ends meet on a $25,000 car and having no other expenses because they're living at home is a waste in my opinion. The time that you spend doing that could have probably made the difference between opening up excellent educational opportunities versus just passing classes.

Supposing you're young enough, the easiest way to making more money is by doing well in school usually. Often times, it's about being in the right place at the right time with the right credentials.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
bamyi

I won't highjack this thread so I'll make this comment and be done.

No one is digging on people working low paying jobs, we all started some where. I just find it very tacky that people always asked, "What do you do for a living?" when they see a nice house, car, etc...

Here's my advice: Do something you like and put your heart into. You have a good chance at making money. For those who have to work 3 jobs to pay for a car....well...I don't know what to say. I will never buy any toys unless I was sure I'm prepare for the unexpected future. I save money to buy my home, retirement. I first use my money to make me money. Then I go out and buy my toys.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by bamyi

No one is digging on people working low paying jobs, we all started some where. I just find it very tacky that people always asked, "What do you do for a living?" when they see a nice house, car, etc...

Here's my advice: Do something you like and put your heart into. You have a good chance at making money. For those who have to work 3 jobs to pay for a car....well...I don't know what to say. I will never buy any toys unless I was sure I'm prepare for the unexpected future. I save money to buy my home, retirement. I first use my money to make me money. Then I go out and buy my toys.
And as the housing and credit problems show, living in a big house or driving a nice car doesn't mean you are rich - it just ment someone gave the person more credit than they could handle.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by bamyi

True but we need to understand how these members made their money so we know which career paths to pursue.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by Divergent13
True but we need to understand how these members made their money so we know which career paths to pursue.
While a nice reference point, what I did as a 34 year old to get to this level may not be possible for a 22 year old starting out their career. IT has changed a lot in a decade and the path isn't as easy as it once was.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
While a nice reference point, what I did as a 34 year old to get to this level may not be possible for a 22 year old starting out their career. IT has changed a lot in a decade and the path isn't as easy as it once was.
+1.

Also, buying a GT-R at a young age probably isn't the best idea. You'd be burning away money that could potentially have the greatest effect on your financial situation for years down the road.

Perhaps a better approach to this problem is to work backwards. First ask how much income does one need per year to purchase a GTR comfortably? Of course there is going to be great variation. Then ask what career path and what do you specifically do in that career path to reach that goal.

For me, I'm going to school for a PharmD right now and I know some people who have graduated and are working 2 full-time jobs (retail and hospital). Combined, they probably earn about $200,000. If you were to ask me if I'd get a GTR with an annual income of $200,000 I'd say "hell no." It's not a good financial decision to buy a GTR if the price is NOT chump change to you. At $200000 per year, I'd rather take the $90000 it would cost a GTR and put it towards savings for a house (that I will buy in cash).

As for my career development, it is best if you get another degree so that you can specialize or just have more flexibility in what you can do. Some popular combinations for my field are PharmD + JD, PharmD + PhD, PharmD + MS ChemE and maybe an MBA on top of that.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:49 AM
07rdsterGT

You were on the breaking front of all of it. Lucky you.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo08816
+1.

Also, buying a GT-R at a young age probably isn't the best idea. You'd be burning away money that could potentially have the greatest effect on your financial situation for years down the road.

Perhaps a better approach to this problem is to work backwards. First ask how much income does one need per year to purchase a GTR comfortably? Of course there is going to be great variation. Then ask what career path and what do you specifically do in that career path to reach that goal.

For me, I'm going to school for a PharmD right now and I know some people who have graduated and are working 2 full-time jobs (retail and hospital). Combined, they probably earn about $200,000. If you were to ask me if I'd get a GTR with an annual income of $200,000 I'd say "hell no." It's not a good financial decision to buy a GTR if the price is NOT chump change to you. At $200000 per year, I'd rather take the $90000 it would cost a GTR and put it towards savings for a house (that I will buy in cash).

As for my career development, it is best if you get another degree so that you can specialize or just have more flexibility in what you can do. Some popular combinations for my field are PharmD + JD, PharmD + PhD, PharmD + MS ChemE and maybe an MBA on top of that.
Bad idea. Especially with Obama coming into office. The best way to keep what you earn is through smart investing. Getting rid of your biggest tax shelter is a no-no if you want to stay under the $250k cap that Obama has drawn as a line in the sand. You can pay $90k to the US govt in taxes or you can get that GTR instead... If you can't figure out how to do this, you're not going to be hanging on to much of the $200k that you make. That said, I opted to build my G rather so that I could pay taxes and insurance on a $35k car that to me now has the styling and performance I have always wanted. If my trans fails, it's 2k, not 20k to rebuild it. Just another option to consider. Happy New Year to all and sorry for the o/t.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-31-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Divergent13

Most people could only dream of making anything close to 200k a year. If you manage it properly I am sure something like a GT-R is well within reach. I am willing to bet a good portion of the GT-R owners here don't even make that much, but are smart with how they save and manage what they earn.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a librarian hitman and I sell womans shoes on the side.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Kiriller

Dam good money management thread Im am currently enrolled in financial planning, soon hopefully be making enough money to get me another car besides 350z

Quick Reply: GT-R owner------Occupation ?