350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Freezing Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:32 PM
SilverZRoadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Freezing Windows?

Hi All,

Well the weather around here has been pretty bad, certainly no putting the top down! Anyway, my question is this, have any of you experienced the windows freezing on you? What I found is that I can open the door but the window doesn't go down that 1/4 of an inch it normally does, so when I try to close the door it hits on the top? Now I've only done this twice because I had to drive the car, but once the car warms up it's not a problem. Any ideas aside from parking in a heated garage (not an option for me). Seems like this will be a real problem this winter? I have a cover for it, but the last time the windows froze up on me it was way too windy to keep the cover on . . . 30mph+ gusts. Any help or ideas you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SilverZRoadster
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM
lovetoclown

I leave the window down the 1/4 inch or so at all times in the winter. No leaks and no hitting the top.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM
SilverZRoadster

Originally posted by lovetoclown
I leave the window down the 1/4 inch or so at all times in the winter. No leaks and no hitting the top.
I guess that's an option, but are you telling me that you really dont' get any water in the car when it snows or rains? Has this happened to you? I'm just wondering if I have a defective window seal or something? I can't understand why water would get in the door, freeze, and then prevent the window from operating? I can't belive it's a defective seal though because both the drivers and the passenger door does this. I've even tried with the window switch and it won't do anything until it warms up.

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-20-2005, 04:33 PM
kimara

Try spaying a de icer on your window.It might work, if you spray a light film on your window prior to you parking your car for the night. I keep mine in the garage, so I have not experienced that problem so far.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:42 PM
lovetoclown

I don't think its the window. I think it is more the motor. It does not matter if the window is wet(icey) or it is just really cold outside, The window will not roll down until it warms up. Poor design. Like I said, just put the window down just enough to clear the roof. I do this half the year because of the cold, and no leaking regardless of rain, snow or 70mph winds.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
maxpowers

This has happend to me when it gets real cold. I think the best thing to do is once you open the door (and the window stays up) just push it down a bit with your hand before you close it. You will notice that the windows pushes down a 1/4" easily with your hand. This will ensure that when you close the door (and it goes back up) it will sit in the seal properly.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
SilverZRoadster

Originally posted by maxpowers
This has happend to me when it gets real cold. I think the best thing to do is once you open the door (and the window stays up) just push it down a bit with your hand before you close it. You will notice that the windows pushes down a 1/4" easily with your hand. This will ensure that when you close the door (and it goes back up) it will sit in the seal properly.
Thanks maxpowers,

I hadn't thought of that; I knew someone here would have a fix.

SilverZRoadster

P.S. We got our first snow here, so the roads are now salt and sand covered - The Z won't be going anywhere for awhile.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM
maxpowers

I don't mind the salt but I hate the sand. Theres nothing worse then driving behind some big *** truck spitting sand up on the paint.

Originally posted by SilverZRoadster
Thanks maxpowers,

I hadn't thought of that; I knew someone here would have a fix.

SilverZRoadster

P.S. We got our first snow here, so the roads are now salt and sand covered - The Z won't be going anywhere for awhile.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happend to me when it gets real cold here in chicago, so i try to close the door a few minutes after the car has warmed up a bit, i know it sucks, but thats how i do it