Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

The best custom alarm for a Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The best custom alarm for a Roadster

I checked out some alarm at Circuit City. I know they don't have the pro stuff and they have decent gear. I forgot the name of the car alarm they have but basically it's similar to Cobra's unit. Is brand any important when choosing an alarm?

To me the factory alarm is inadequate. Someone could just hop in with the top down pull my stereo and things in it and jump out without triggering the alarm. They can also put it in neutral and release the E brake and roll it away.

The thing I'm most interested in is a motion detector on the inside, a 2 way long range system and a vibration sensor. I usually park in areas I consider good with the window down and my Pioneer head unit intact. That's if I'm there for less than an hour.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Major

Default Alarm

I would be interested in this as well!

Major
Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
islandsnow

Look for an alarm that has a radar unit. My alpine 150 has a dual zone radar and shock sensor. The way the radar works is once the outer perimeter is set (distance), once someone sticks a hand or it detects movement in this outer perimeter it chirps the siren and makes the perimeter smaller. Now if you then go into the inner smaller perimeter, the alarm goes off. My outer is just outside the glass of the car, my inner is anywhere inside the passenger compartment. Since alpine isn't selling these anymore, i assume someone like Viper/Clifford would have something similar. The hard part is setting the distance correctly, but once set it seems to work pretty good.

I guess they sell add ons now, so you can get a viper with pager and add on the radar.

http://www.asianwolf.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1068694|1069136&PRID=1057682

cut and paste the whole url in a browser, the link itself just goes to the home page

Last edited by islandsnow; 01-24-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a Pitbull for the Passenger Seat and dont feed it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:50 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

My maltese can take out pitbulls.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Of that I have no Doubt.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 PM
tnkrstoyco

I have a clifford in my 93' vert and my 95'sx. The vert has the radar. Just had it turned down a little, it was set to high and the wind would set it off from the top movement. The 240sx goes off sometimes when trucks with loud jacob brakes come by. On the vert if you get to close or touch the car it'll warn you if you continue messing with it the alarms goes off.
Your right the factory alarm sucks, my 240 had the factory and was broken into on the Nissan lot, the dash was destroyed and when the cops got there and opened the door the alarm went off. The thief had enough smarts to climb in the window he broke out.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:00 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

The alarms from www.asianwolf.com looks pretty good. If I brought it to Circuit City would they know how to install it?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I have a Viper 690 with (2) exterior and (2) small interior piezo sirens, + a back up battery. It is 2-way, and you can add the proximity sensor as well. Took it out of my Z coupe. The thing is loud as hell. I love the two-way, lets you see whats up with the car when your away.

If anyone is interested, I'll sell you the alarm with everything above for $150 + shipping. I paid over $500.

Alarm is not needed since i have the Bose, who wants to steal Bose, LOL!

my e-mail is on the link below. I have pics as well.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Razo

Maybe I went overboard, but I love it. Note: Do not install the GPS unit if you have a suspicious wife, and no I will not give details.

Viper 791xv
Radar (Invisibeam)
Battery backup for primary alarm brain
Standard siren x 2
Voice module (All custom recorded)
Pain generator x 2 (I like it)
Revenger battery backed up siren x 3
Audio sensor x 2
Nite light system
Tilt sensors
GPS tracker system (Works real well, trust me)
Battery back up for GPS

I love the system, range is excellent and it can be set up to page, call or email you when certain zones are tripped. For those who have kids, you can set overspeed notification to catch them. Is it loud, yes. Do people intentionally try to get it to make noise, yes. Do they feel stupid when I confront them, yes. Have I had property stolen from it, no. If you are in the So-Cal area, I can point you to a friend's shop for installation.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Razo

Originally posted by zand02max

If anyone is interested, I'll sell you the alarm with everything above for $150 + shipping. I paid over $500.

Someone needs to jump on that offer, well worth it.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 PM
islandsnow

Actually, i don't know how good those alarms are on that asianwolf website, but they had the radar sensor there to show you as an example. They do look good, but you want reliability in an alarm. Viper/Cliffords been around for ages. Anyways, in a japanese Z magazine, they recommended the clifford G5 intelligard 850 with radar sensor. If you're set on one of the asianwolf ones, make sure you call up places that install if they will do it or not. Usually places give you a story like, since we're not an authorized dealer of that brand they won't install anything that you bring in just in case it's broken. Yeah, right, it's because they don't make as much money. But then again, after lots of searching you'll find some install place that will do it. Most alarms are pretty similar in how they get installed, so anyone knowlegeable in it can do it. I don't trust circuit city, but who knows, maybe they have someone decent working and they do have a guarantee right?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Yeah that's what I'm thinking with brand name. Although Jensen sounds as good as JLs.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:25 PM
CAN0802

How about integrating one with lojack's early warning system? People don't pay attention to alarms anymore as it goes, might as well have something where an outside company will notify you if your car is being broken into.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Can you give me more details? Basically the most important thing is the radar sensor and paging when some *** is reaching in my car when I park with the top off.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:22 AM
CAN0802

Click here for details. Alarms today have gotten to the point where just about anyone who hears one won't do anything but complain about the irritating noise when one goes off, so a theif could get away with robbing you blind. From talking to the people at Lojack, with everything installed, if something happens to my car, they call me, email me, and notify me in five different forms to see if I am actually in the car or doing something to it. I am wanting to test it to see for sure though.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
willpower

go to....www.neverstolen.com