Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Class Action - 03 & 04 - Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 07:58 PM
netman_one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class Action - 03 & 04 - Alignment Issue

When I purchased my 04 ZR, I asked the sales manager about the tire feathering issue I had read about on the Net. He claimed it existed on 03 models and has been corrected on the 04's (not true).

I had the car in at a Nissan Passport DEALER for '7500' mile service at 9,162 0n 1/6/05 and they told me all was "Good" with my ZR. I specifically asked the service manager on 1/6/05 at dealership about the feathering issue on my car and 04's because I wanted to change my Z to aftermarket rims, and wanted to make sure my car was "ok" before ordering my new rims and larger size tires (which I did the very next day on 1/7/05). He claimed it does Not exist on the 04 Z's (not true).

On 1/12/05, I Found the feathering issue on All my original tires (inside tire wear) when my wheels were pulled off (at a trusted local shop - while I observed at my car) to replace them with new BBS type at 9,252 miles.

Called a different dealer in Waldorf MD about this issue, after reviewing SB #04043 (03 Only SB) & SB #04054 on Nissan site. According to Nissan, one free 4 wheel alignment is available at <12000 miles at a Nissan dealership. Made it very clear to them that my wheels had now been changed to aftermarket wheels/tires and then arranged an appointment to take car to them for a free alignment and also to bring my original tires in my pathfinder (2nd driver) for them to inspect the apparent feathering. They agreed to do both.

Took the car in today for the alignment, and took the original tires over as well. Two service managers looked the car over, clearly noting the aftermarket wheels were on as we had discussed, then one went with me to inspect the tires in my truck and acknowledged they had the feathering problem. After 2 hr's 45 min's I noticed my car was parked outside, and went to service manager as they must be finished. He then tells me that the technician did not do an alignment "as the tires on the car show no sign of feathering". I told him thats because the tires on the car are brand new (140 miles) and They knew that as they closely looked at the car wheels and the originals in my truck before they took the car in for the alignment 3 hours ago!

I then sought out the other service manager that had looked at the old tires and also agreed to do an alignment. Told him that this was simply "stupid" as we agreed an alignment would be done 3 hours ago! Now the story changes to we will not do an alignment on the car because of the aftermarket wheels. Now let's not forget they knew these wheels were on the car when I made the appointment, and when I brought it in at 8am. I now raise my voice (NO foul language) and am asked to leave because I am shouting, which I reply you have got to be kidding, I am not supposed to be upset by this, after a 3 hour wait, and after hauling the other tires over here? - Now a general manager arrives and he tells me they will do an alignment if I pay for it! No, I inform them I will be calling Nissan Corporate and perhaps my attorney later on, and leave their dealership disgusted with Nissan "service".

After returning home, am on the phone well over an hour with Nissan Consumer Affairs reporting my feathering problem and the Waldorf MD dealer. they tell me until a TSB or a recall comes out on the 04's, Nissan will not pay for tires (not true based on what I have read on this forum for some 04 members) and will do an alignment at dealer cost <12000 if original wheels are on. BTW: Calling Nissan Consumer Affairs amounts to nothing more (at thsi time) then documenting poor service by a dealer.

I then call the Passport dealer where I bought the car (who did the '7500' service) and discuss their past inspection and my current situation with them. Am told I will need to put my original wheels back on as alignment machine will most likely not work/align properly with my aftermarket rims. So back I go to the local tire shop today to put original wheels back on ( that were just recently changed) because I am now determined Nissan is going to do something about this no matter how much aggravation I have to deal with! I have an appointment Monday with the Passport Dealer. We will see how that day turns out.

MEANWHILE, I have been surfing this problem and found a class action suit has been filed in Oct 04 for 03 AND 04 Z owners. The text of the suit and a form to join it can be found on the following web site. I am going to wait until after Monday myself, to complete the rest of the story on my own car. However I am not looking forward to seeking out a local sports car shop that can due future alignments every 5000 miles WITH my aftermarket BBS wheels on (have been told by my local tire shop that they Cannot do the alignment properly on 350z's). I am going to put my BBS wheels/new tires back on after dealing with the dealer on Monday. Need to see what happens with the car and the original tires, but I am certainly not going to switch rims again for each NEXT alignment that I expect will be needed as long as I own this car (if I hope to extend the life of my new $$$ tires).

I still love my Z, but the way Nissan is handling this problem is simply a PIA. I have never had such issues with any of my other Nissans (3), and this is supposed to be their flagship car!

Arghhhhh!
Good Luck when You get this Problem.

Here is that website address I mentioned:

http://www.nissantireproblems.com
Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 PM
daddyz

I am having having the same problem with my 04 trackz! At 5800 miles when they where changing my trans i noticed that my tires are feathering told the service writer about what i had seen,he told me he would fix the problem.Now at 7533 miles my car is in the dealer for trans problems again and now the tires are cupping! I bought my car brand new in 03/2004 with an extended warrenty.List of problems:
1.Dome lights faulty9(BCM was bad)
2.Cd player wouldn't work replaced with wrong color grey instead of black!
3.Trans bad famous 2nd gear problem
4.axles clicking still haven't been replaced service writer claiming it was my first trans!
5.tire feathering alinment at 5800
6.7533 miles tires cupping loud road noise creaking axles
7.gas door doesn't open all the time
8.car dies sometimes dealer doesn't know why!!???
I still love my Z but come on.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by daddyz
I am having having the same problem with my 04 trackz! At 5800 miles when they where changing my trans i noticed that my tires are feathering told the service writer about what i had seen,he told me he would fix the problem.Now at 7533 miles my car is in the dealer for trans problems again and now the tires are cupping! I bought my car brand new in 03/2004 with an extended warrenty.List of problems:
1.Dome lights faulty9(BCM was bad)
2.Cd player wouldn't work replaced with wrong color grey instead of black!
3.Trans bad famous 2nd gear problem
4.axles clicking still haven't been replaced service writer claiming it was my first trans!
5.tire feathering alinment at 5800
6.7533 miles tires cupping loud road noise creaking axles
7.gas door doesn't open all the time
8.car dies sometimes dealer doesn't know why!!???
I still love my Z but come on.
Looks like you're a lemon-law candidate.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Z BOY

Default Re: Class Action - 03 & 04 - Alignment Issue

Originally posted by netman_one
When I purchased my 04 ZR, I asked the sales manager about the tire feathering issue I had read about on the Net. He claimed it existed on 03 models and has been corrected on the 04's (not true).

I had the car in at a Nissan Passport DEALER for '7500' mile service at 9,162 0n 1/6/05 and they told me all was "Good" with my ZR. I specifically asked the service manager on 1/6/05 at dealership about the feathering issue on my car and 04's because I wanted to change my Z to aftermarket rims, and wanted to make sure my car was "ok" before ordering my new rims and larger size tires (which I did the very next day on 1/7/05). He claimed it does Not exist on the 04 Z's (not true).

On 1/12/05, I Found the feathering issue on All my original tires (inside tire wear) when my wheels were pulled off (at a trusted local shop - while I observed at my car) to replace them with new BBS type at 9,252 miles.
Called a different dealer in Waldorf MD about this issue, after reviewing SB #04043 (03 Only SB) & SB #04054 on Nissan site. According to Nissan, one free 4 wheel alignment is available at <12000 miles at a Nissan dealership. Made it very clear to them that my wheels had now been changed to aftermarket wheels/tires and then arranged an appointment to take car to them for a free alignment and also to bring my original tires in my pathfinder (2nd driver) for them to inspect the apparent feathering. They agreed to do both.

Took the car in today for the alignment, and took the original tires over as well. Two service managers looked the car over, clearly noting the aftermarket wheels were on as we had discussed, then one went with me to inspect the tires in my truck and acknowledged they had the feathering problem. After 2 hr's 45 min's I noticed my car was parked outside, and went to service manager as they must be finished. He then tells me that the technician did not do an alignment "as the tires on the car show no sign of feathering". I told him thats because the tires on the car are brand new (140 miles) and They knew that as they closely looked at the car wheels and the originals in my truck before they took the car in for the alignment 3 hours ago!

I then sought out the other service manager that had looked at the old tires and also agreed to do an alignment. Told him that this was simply "stupid" as we agreed an alignment would be done 3 hours ago! Now the story changes to we will not do an alignment on the car because of the aftermarket wheels. Now let's not forget they knew these wheels were on the car when I made the appointment, and when I brought it in at 8am. I now raise my voice (NO foul language) and am asked to leave because I am shouting, which I reply you have got to be kidding, I am not supposed to be upset by this, after a 3 hour wait, and after hauling the other tires over here? - Now a general manager arrives and he tells me they will do an alignment if I pay for it! No, I inform them I will be calling Nissan Corporate and perhaps my attorney later on, and leave their dealership disgusted with Nissan "service".

After returning home, am on the phone well over an hour with Nissan Consumer Affairs reporting my feathering problem and the Waldorf MD dealer. they tell me until a TSB or a recall comes out on the 04's, Nissan will not pay for tires (not true based on what I have read on this forum for some 04 members) and will do an alignment at dealer cost <12000 if original wheels are on. BTW: Calling Nissan Consumer Affairs amounts to nothing more (at thsi time) then documenting poor service by a dealer.

I then call the Passport dealer where I bought the car (who did the '7500' service) and discuss their past inspection and my current situation with them. Am told I will need to put my original wheels back on as alignment machine will most likely not work/align properly with my aftermarket rims. So back I go to the local tire shop today to put original wheels back on ( that were just recently changed) because I am now determined Nissan is going to do something about this no matter how much aggravation I have to deal with! I have an appointment Monday with the Passport Dealer. We will see how that day turns out.

MEANWHILE, I have been surfing this problem and found a class action suit has been filed in Oct 04 for 03 AND 04 Z owners. The text of the suit and a form to join it can be found on the following web site. I am going to wait until after Monday myself, to complete the rest of the story on my own car. However I am not looking forward to seeking out a local sports car shop that can due future alignments every 5000 miles WITH my aftermarket BBS wheels on (have been told by my local tire shop that they Cannot do the alignment properly on 350z's). I am going to put my BBS wheels/new tires back on after dealing with the dealer on Monday. Need to see what happens with the car and the original tires, but I am certainly not going to switch rims again for each NEXT alignment that I expect will be needed as long as I own this car (if I hope to extend the life of my new $$$ tires).

I still love my Z, but the way Nissan is handling this problem is simply a PIA. I have never had such issues with any of my other Nissans (3), and this is supposed to be their flagship car!

Arghhhhh!
Good Luck when You get this Problem.

Here is that website address I mentioned:

http://www.nissantireproblems.com
I didn't see one word in your long thread about tire roar. If you didn't have tire roar and it wasn't witnessed by a nissan rep as per the tsb, you're sol, imo.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
daddyz

Tire roar was so loud! The bad thing about it was my cd player wouldn't work so the tire noise was my player!It took almost 2 months to replace my radio! Just to put one in that didn't match.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
daddyz

How does the lemon law work?How many times before they take the car?And is it in a year? Bought mine in03/2004. Don't drive mine much. Only have 7355 or so.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Z BOY

I think its 3x for the same problem without resolution. Do a search, and educate yourself. It really does look like you got a bad one.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:05 AM
netman_one

Default Re: Class Action - 03 & 04 - Alignment Issue

80 views (so far) and not 1 comment on class action.

Thought others would be interested, apparently not.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

If I get the problem I will definitly get in on this if Nissan doesn't resolve it for me.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Z BOY

Default Re: Re: Class Action - 03 & 04 - Alignment Issue

Originally posted by netman_one
80 views (so far) and not 1 comment on class action.

Thought others would be interested, apparently not.
net, there are tons of postings and other threads talking about the class-action suit. No one has commented cuz its OLD NEWS. Use the search function!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
daddyz

I already filed on the other forum!